- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Shape Description and Retrieval Using Included-Angular Ternary Pattern
- Xu, Guoqing (School of Computer and Information Engineering, Nanyang Institute of Technology) ;
- Xiao, Ke (School of Computer Science, North China University of Technology) ;
- Li, Chen (School of Computer Science, North China University of Technology)
- Received : 2018.02.06
- Accepted : 2018.10.30
- Published : 2019.08.31
Shape description is an important and fundamental issue in content-based image retrieval (CBIR), and a number of shape description methods have been reported in the literature. For shape description, both global information and local contour variations play important roles. In this paper a new included-angular ternary pattern (IATP) based shape descriptor is proposed for shape image retrieval. For each point on the shape contour, IATP is derived from its neighbor points, and IATP has good properties for shape description. IATP is intrinsically invariant to rotation, translation and scaling. To enhance the description capability, multiscale IATP histogram is presented to describe both local and global information of shape. Then multiscale IATP histogram is combined with included-angular histogram for efficient shape retrieval. In the matching stage, cosine distance is used to measure shape features' similarity. Image retrieval experiments are conducted on the standard MPEG-7 shape database and Swedish leaf database. And the shape image retrieval performance of the proposed method is compared with other shape descriptors using the standard evaluation method. The experimental results of shape retrieval indicate that the proposed method reaches higher precision at the same recall value compared with other description method.
Image Retrieval;Included-Angular Ternary Pattern;Multiscale;Shape Description
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- D. Jiang and J. Kim, "Texture image retrieval using DTCWT-SVD and local binary pattern features," Journal of Information Processing Systems, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1628-1639, 2017.
- D. Hu, W. Huang, J. Yang, and Z. Zhu, "Common base triangle area representation method for shape retrieval," Acta Electronica Sinica, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1247-1253, 2016.
- B. Wang, D. Brown, Y. Gao, and J. La Salle, "MARCH: multiscale-arch-height description for mobile retrieval of leaf images," Information Sciences, vol. 302, pp. 132-148, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2014.07.028
- C. Xu, J. Liu, and X. Tang, "2D shape matching by contour flexibility," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 180-186, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2008.199
- X. Shu, L. Pan, and X. J. Wu, "Multi-scale contour flexibility shape signature for Fourier descriptor," Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, vol. 26, no. 161-167, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvcir.2014.11.007
- H. Ling and D. W. Jacobs, "Shape classification using the inner-distance," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 286-299, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2007.41
- X. Shu and X. J. Wu, "A novel contour descriptor for 2D shape matching and its application to image retrieval," Image and vision Computing, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 286-294, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imavis.2010.11.001
- A. El-ghazal, O. Basir, and S. Belkasim, "Farthest point distance: a new shape signature for Fourier descriptors," Signal Processing: Image Communication, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 572-586, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.image.2009.04.001
- N. Alajlan, I. El Rube, M. S. Kamel, and G. Freeman, "Shape retrieval using triangle-area representation and dynamic space warping," Pattern Recognition, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 1911-1920, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2006.12.005
- R. X. Hu, W. Jia, H. Ling, Y. Zhao, and J. Gui, "Angular pattern and binary angular pattern for shape retrieval," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 1118-1127, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2013.2286330
- J. Wang, X. Bai, X. You, W. Liu, and L. J. Latecki, "Shape matching and classification using height functions," Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 134-143, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2011.09.042
- S. Guo, J. Zhao, and X. Li, "Research on shape representation based on statistical features of centroid-contour distance," Journal of Electronics & Information Technology, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1365-1371, 2015.
- Y. Yang, D. Zheng, and M. Han, "a shape matching method using spatial features of multi-scaled contours," Acta Automatica Sinica, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1405-1411, 2015.
- B. Wang, J. Wu, H. Shu, and L. Luo, "Shape description using sequency-ordered complex Hadamard transform," Optics Communications, vol. 284, no. 12, pp. 2726-2729, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2011.01.061
- G. Xu, Z. Mu, and Y. Xu, "Shape retrieval using multi-level included angle functions-based Fourier descriptor," Journal of Southeast University, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 22-26, 2014.