- Volume 28 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Influence of Career Plateau on the Job Satisfaction and Nursing Competency of General Hospital Nurses
종합병원 간호사의 경력정체가 직무만족과 간호역량에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Shin Hee (Kunsan College of Nursing) ;
- Jeong, Nam Ok (Department of Nursing, Wonkwang University)
- Received : 2019.03.13
- Accepted : 2019.07.18
- Published : 2019.08.30
Purpose: This study was conducted to examine the degree of career plateau in general hospital nurses, to examine the affects of career plateau on nurses' job satisfaction and nursing competency. Methods: The sample consisted of 234 general hospital nurses. Data were analyzed using t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's Correlation and Hierarchical Multiple Regression. Results: Nurses' career plateau was associated with their job satisfaction, nursing competency. A statistically significant difference in job satisfaction was career plateau, charge nurse or higher in position and resilience predicted 41% of variance in job satisfaction of general hospital nurses. A statistically significant difference in nursing competency was total clinical experience, career plateau, preceptorship experience, charge nurse or higher in position and resilience predicted 43% of variance in nursing competency of general hospital nurses. Conclusion: These results of this study as presented above show that general hospital nurses' career plateau is associated with their job satisfaction and nursing competency. Career plateau is the most important variable in nursing competency. Based on the findings, general hospital nurses' career plateau management is empirically verified as a useful and effective method to increase their job satisfaction and nursing competency.
- Bae, G. S. (2000). KOREA LABOR INSTITUTE, "A study on the Advanced Scheme of Industrial Relations in the Seoul National University Hospital", Ministry of Labor, Gwacheon, 2002.
- Bae, O. Y. (2015). "Impact of career plateau on turnover impulse and retention intention of hospital nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Bang, B. M. (2013). Empirical study on the turn-over intention of university hospital nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul.
- Bardwick, J. M. (1986). The Plateauing Trap, Part 1: Getting Caught. Personnel, 63(10), 46-51.
- Campbell, B., & Mackay, G. (2001). Continuing competence: An Ontario nursing regulatory program that supports nurses and employers. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 25(2), 22-30. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006216-200101000-00006
- Chang, Y. H., Cho, Y. S., & Kwak, M. J. (2006). A study of factors related nursing competency in nurses. Clinical Nursing Research, 12(1), 7-19.
- Davenport, L., & Russell, J. E. A. (1994, August). Examining the relationship between career plateauing and job attitudes. Paper Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Dallas, Texas.
- Ha, N. S., & Choi, J. (2010). An analysis of nursing competency affecting on job satisfaction and nursing performance among clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(3), 286-294. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.3.286
- Jang, K. S. (2000). A study on establishment of clinical career development model of nurses. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kang, H. L. (2010). A study of occupational satisfaction, stress and customer orientation of upper-scale general hospital nurses. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 19(2), 268-277.
- Kang, J. S. (2008). The effects of career plateaus perceived by social workers on their job attitudes and career turnover intention. Social Welfare Policy, 33, 159-184.
- Kim, J. K. (2007). A study of relationships among conflict, job satisfaction, and organizational commitment on general hospitals. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 13(4), 421-430.
- Kim, S. J., Choi, M. S., & Sung, K. W. (2010). Variables affecting competency of nurses in nursing homes. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 12(1), 29-39.
- Kim, Y. M., Lee, J. Y., & Kang, H. S. (2016). The Impact of career plateau on job satisfaction and turnover intention of hospital nurses. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 17(12), 459-469. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.12.459
- Kim, Y. N. (2016). Effect of career development and career plateau on career satisfaction of nurses. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 30(1), 83-92. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2016.30.1.83
- Ko, J. G., & Kim, H. Y. (2018). Relationship between career plateau, career planning, social support, and turnover intention in nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 24(1), 97-106. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2018.24.1.97
- Lee, B. K. (2008). The impact of sports facilities employee's career plateau perception on job and organizational attitudes. Korean Journal of Sport Management, 13(3), 117-128.
- Lee, J. H., Jin, S. J., & Ju, H. J. (2011). Impact of the organizational commitment and organizational culture of nursing and turnover intention on the job satisfaction of public hospital nurses. Health and Social Science, 30, 205-230.
- Lee, M. J. (2001). A study of factors related to clinical competency in nurses, Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Milliman, J. F. (1992). Cause, consequences and moderating factors of career plateauing. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Southern California, California.
- Moon, I. O. (2010). The structural model about impact of nurse's career management, career plateau, career satisfaction on career commitment. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(2), 180-189. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.2.180
- Nicholson, N. (1993). Purgatory or place of safety? The managerial plateau and organizational age grading. Human Relations, 46(12), 1369-1389. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679304601201
- Park, G. G. (2003). Career plateau and its effective management. Sogang Journal of Business, 14(2), 129-140.
- Park, G. S., & Yu, T. U. (2005). The impact of career plateau on job and career attitudes and moderating effects of emotional intelligence and organizational support. Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 18(3), 499-523.
- Queen, V. A. (1995). Performance evaluation: Building blocks for credentialing and career advancement. Nursing Management, 26(9), 52-57.
- Ryu, J. H., & Kang, J. S. (2007). Relationship between career plateau and job attitude perceived by social workers. Korean Academy of Social Welfare, 555-560.
- Slavitt, D. B., Stamps, P. L., Piedmont, E. B., & Haase, A. M. (1978). Nurses' satisfaction with their work situation. Nursing Research, 27(2), 114-120.
- Tak, J. K. ( 2015). Management plan of organizational member career plateau. KEF Compensation Quarterly, 23(3), 42-51.