- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Alternate Reality Game Based Education in College
대학에서 대체현실게임기반 교육방법
- Chang, Hee-dong (Faculty, Division of Computer Information Engineering, Hoseo University)
- 장희동 (호서대학교 컴퓨터정보공학부 게임콘텐츠트랙)
- Received : 2019.06.17
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.08.28
The college students who are in the game generation have different cognitive characteristics from the previous generations, and the phenomena of attention loss in the existing education methods such as lectures are generally seen. This results in a problem that the satisfaction of the university education is lowered. To solve this problem, it is possible to improve students' interest and concentration by using game-based educational methods. In this paper, we propose a method of university education using alternative reality game. The prototype was implemented and tested to verify that the proposed method is suitable for the university environment and can be operated. Through the test results, we confirmed that the proposed method meets the requirements of the university education field and that the required functions are functioning normally. In addition, according to the results of the questionnaire surveyed for the students, it shows that the proposed alternative game method based on the alternative reality game will be more effective in attracting students and improving concentration than the current education method.
Computer game;ARG;College education;Game based education;ARG based education
- J. C. Beck & M. Wade. (2004), How the Gamer Generation Is Reshaping Business Forever, Boston : Harvard Business School Press.
- M. Prensky. (2001), Digital Game-Based Learning, St. Paul : Paragon House.
- K. Kim, M. Kee & D. Kim. (2011). A Study on Development Methods of Serious Game. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 2(2), 21-26.
- A. Martin. (2006), 2006 Alternative Reality Games White Paper, The New York Times.
- J. McGonigal. (2004). Alternate Reality Gaming, MacArthur Foundation Powerpoint presentation. University of California. http://www.avantgame.com/McGonigal%20ARG%20MacArthur%20Foundation%20NOV%2004.pdf.
- X. Hu, H. Zhang & Z. Rhea. (2016). Alternate Reality Game in Education: A Literature Review, In M. Baguley (Ed.), AARE 2016 : Transforming educational research, 1-16.
- K. Watson & A. Salter. (2016). Playing Art Historian: Teaching 20th Century Art through Alternate Reality Gaming, International Journal for the Scholarship of Technology Enhanced Learning, 1(1), 100-111.
- Conducttr. The homepage of Conducttr. https://www.conducttr.com/
- Liviu_Adrian COTAS & loan ROXIN. (2013). Adaptable Alternate Reality Games Platform, Journal of Mobile, Embedded and Distributed Systems. 5(4), 130-135.
- C. Barve, S. Hajarnis, S. Karnik & M. O. Riedl. (2010). WeQuest: A Mobile Alternate Reality Gaming Platform and Intelligent End-User Authoring Tool, In Proceedings of the 6th Conference on Artificial Intelligence for Interactive DigitalEntertainment Conference.
- E. Bonsignore, D. Hansen, K. Kraus, J. Ahn, A. Visconti, A. Fraistat & A. Druin. (2012). Alternate reality games: Platforms for collaborative learning, Proceeding sof the 10th International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS), 251-258.
- Game Maker Studio 2. The homepage of YoYo Games. https://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker
- Web DB. Oracle WebDB Basic Concepts. https://docs.oracle.com/cd/A87860_01/doc/webdb.817/a77075/basics.htm
- Synology NAS. the homepage of Synology. https://www.synology.com/ko-kr
- Introduction to PHP, Wikipedia. https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP
- PHP official site. the homepage of PHP. https://www.php.net/
- Introduction to MariaDB. Wikipedia. https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/MariaDB
- Introduction to phpMyAdmin. Wikipedia. https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpMyAdmin