- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Comparative study of motion in limited animation - Focusing on American Animation & Japanes Animation-
리미티드 애니메이션에서 나타난 동작비교연구 -미국과 일본애니메이션 중심으로-
- Lim, Yong-Seob (Dept. of Cartoon and Animation, Se-Han University)
- 임용섭 (세한대학교 만화애니메이션학과)
- Received : 2019.05.23
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.08.28
The limited animation method which is a Japanese Animation frame production method was born in the U.S. but it is Japan where it was most actively used and developed. With this in mind, this researcher conducted a comparative study on the movements shown in animated films of the U.S. and Japan to identify success factors. For an analysis of the animated films of the two countries, first, the difference between orthodox animation and experimental animation was analyzed. Second, the concept of limited animation was reviewed, as well as its difference from full animation. Lastly, for an analysis of the difference between animations of the U.S. and Japan, 'Disney's 12 principles of animation' was applied.
Orthodox Animation;Full Animation;Limited Animation;Disney's 12 Principle of Animation;UPA;Frames
Supported by : Se-Han University
- P. Wells, (1988), Understanding Animation, London: Routledge.
- S. Nelson. (2006), Encyclopedia of Video Images by Nelson Shin, Seoul: Hanul Academy.
- Y. Yamaguchi. (2005), Translated by Ki-min Kim et al, The Complete History of Japanese Animation, Seoul: Art Culture.
- Thames & Hudson, (2016), A new History of Animation, New York: Maureen Furniss.
- F. Thomas & O. Johnston. (1981), The Illusion of Life Disney Animation, Walt Disney California: Production.
- R. Williams. (2001). The Animator's Survival Kit, New York: Faber and Fabe.
- S. W. Lee, (2002), Study on the perceptive response according to animation movement production, doctoral thesis for Hongik University
- M. R. Cho, (2010), Study on the Evolution of Korean Animation Design Styles, Doctoral thesis, Jungang University, Seoul.
- D. Bashara. (2019). Cartoon Vision UPA Animation and Postwar Aesthetics, California: University of California press.
- A. Abraham. (2012). When Magoo Flew, The Rise and Fall of Animation Studio UPA, Middletown: Wesleyan
- C. Thompson. (2006), Gerald Mc Boing-Boing, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNsyQDmEopw2
- Animation on FOX, (2012), Bart & Homer's Excellent Adventure, Season 27 Ep. 5, The Simpson, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pkn117amFw
- Tezuka Production, (1963), Atom, https://tezukaosamu.net/jp/anime/30.htm
- Sakurai Chikara, (2019), One Punch Man 2, https://www.bilibili.com/video/av43862508/
- H. Whitaker & J. Halas. (2013). Timing for ani-mation, Oxford: CRC Press.