- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
An Empirical Study on the Effects of Organizational Politics and Conflicts on Workplace Bullying among Nurses
간호조직 내 정치와 갈등이 태움에 미치는 영향에 관한 실증연구
- Hong, Ah Ram (Department of Public Administration, The Catholic University of Korea) ;
- Lee, Sun Young (Government Innovation & Productivity Institute, The Catholic University of Korea) ;
- Cheong, Jong One (Department of Public Administration, The Catholic University of Korea)
- Received : 2019.06.07
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.08.28
The purpose of this research is to identify the level of perception of conflict with politics within nursing organizations in large general hospitals, and to empirically analyze how politics and conflicts in the organization affect workplace bullying(taeoom) within nursing organizations. The research method conducted multiple regression analysis on 273 nurses working at A University Hospital in Seoul. The analysis shows that political and relationship conflicts within the organization are amplifying the workplace bullying within the nursing system. It was confirmed that taeoom was also increasing as conflicts between factions or subgroups within the nursing system, alienation, and emotional conflicts among members grew. We hope that the future research regarding taeoom will seek serious theoretical insights and practical implications for its management.
Workplace Bullying;Nurse;Organizational Politics;Conflict;Hospital
- K. D. Yoon. (2019. 04. 28.). If you make a mistake, cut your finger. Yonhap News.
- W. Y. Choi. (2019. 04. 20.). To get rid of the nurse's burn until it's ash. Money Today News.
- D. Salin. (2003). Bullying and organizational politics in competitive and rapidly changing work environments. International Journal of Management and Decision Making, 4, 35-46. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJMDM.2003.002487
- J. Pfeffer. (1981). Power in organizations. Marshfield, Massachusetts: Pitman Pub. Inc., Marshfield, Massachusetts.
- J. Gandz & V. V. Murray. (1980). The experience of workplace politics. Academy of Management Journal, 23(2), 237-51. DOI : 10.5465/255429
- G. R. Ferris, G. S. Russ & P. M. Fandt. (1989). Politics in organizations. In: R. A. Giacalone & P. Rosenfeld, editors. Impression Management in The Organization. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.; p. 143-70.
- A. Drory & T. Romm. (1990). The definition of organizational politics: A review. Human Relations, 43(11), 1133-54. DOI: 10.1177/001872679004301106 https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679004301106
- G. R. Ferris, D. C. Treadway, P. L. Perrewé, R. L. Brouer, C. Douglas & S. Lux. (2007). Political skill in organizations. Journal of Management, 33(3), 290-320. DOI : 10.1177/0149206307300813
- Kapoutsis, I., Papalexandris, A., Nikolopoulos, A., Hochwarter, W. A., & Ferris, G. R. (2011). Politics perceptions as moderator of the political skill-job performance relationship: A two-study, cross-national, constructive replication. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 78(1), 123-135. DOI : 10.1016/j.jvb.2010.09.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2010.09.009
- Amason, A. C. & Schweiger, D. M. (1994). Resolving the paradox of conflict, strategic decision making, and organizational performance. International Journal of conflict management, 5, 239-253. DOI : 10.1108/eb022745 https://doi.org/10.1108/eb022745
- K. A. Jehn. (1997). A qualitative analysis of conflict types and dimensions in organizational groups. Administrative Science Quarterly, 42, 530-557. DOI : 10.2307/2393737 https://doi.org/10.2307/2393737
- C. K. De Dreu & L. R. Weingart. (2003). Task versus relationship conflict, team performance, and team member satisfaction: a meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 88(4), 741. DOI : 10.1037/0021-9010.88.4.741 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.4.741
- S. Y. Lee & J. O. Cheong. (2013). An exploratory study on organizational conflict types and conflict management. Korean Public Administration Quarterly, 25, 743-765.
- B. M. Bang, S. Y. Lee & J. O. Cheong. (2015). Empirical study on the turn-over intention of university hospital nurses. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(2), 205-213. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.205
- H. J. Kim. (2011). The relationship of conflict types and conflict management styles. The Korean Association for Organizational Studies, 8(2), 111-40. https://doi.org/10.21484/kros.2011.8.2.111
- H. Leymann. (1990). Mobbing and psychological terror at workplaces. Violence and Victims, 5(2), 119-126. DOI : 10.1891/0886-6708.5.2.119 https://doi.org/10.1891/0886-6708.5.2.119
- H. M. Son, M. H. Koh, C. M. Kim & J. H. Moon. (2001). The clinical experiences of adaptation as a new nursing staff. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 31(6), 988-997. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2001.31.6.988
- S. L. Johnson & R. E. Rea. (2009). Workplace bullying: Concerns for nurse leaders. Journal of Nursing Administration, 39, 84-90. DOI : 10.1097/NNA.0b013e318195a5fc https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0b013e318195a5fc
- D. Yildirim. (2009). Bullying among nurses and its effects. International Nursing Review, 56, 504-11. DOI : 10.1111/j.1466-7657.2009.00745.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2009.00745.x
- P. A. Berry, G. L. Gillespie, D. Gates & J. Schafer. (2012). Novice nurse productivity following workplace bullying. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 44(1), 80-87. DOI : 10.1111/j.1547-5069.2011.01436.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2011.01436.x
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A.-G. Lang & A. Buchner. (2007). G* Power: statistical power analyses for windows and mac (version 3.1. 9.2)[software].
- G. R. Ferris & K. M. Kacmar. (1992). Perceptions of organizational politics. Journal of Management, 18(1), 93-116. DOI : 10.1177/014920639201800107
- J. W. Park & S. Y. Won. (2013). Perception of organizational politics and factors affecting it. Korean Public Administration Review, 47, 93-120.
- E. Vigoda-Gadot. (2000). Internal politics in public administration systems: An empirical examination of its relationship with job congruence, organizational citizenship behavior, and in-role performance. Public Personnel Management, 29(2), 185-210. DOI : 10.1177/009102600002900203 https://doi.org/10.1177/009102600002900203
- S. J. Bae, J. O. Cheong & S. Y. Lee. (2016). A study on effects of organizational justice on organizational politics and conflicts - Focusing on a local government organization in Korea -. The Journal of Policy Development, 16, 121-50. https://doi.org/10.35224/kapd.2016.16.2.005
- K. A. Jehn. (1995). A multimethod examination of the benefits and detriments of intragroup conflict. Administrative Science Quarterly, 40, 256-82. DOI: 10.2307/2393638 https://doi.org/10.2307/2393638
- Y. J. Lee & M. H. Lee. (2014). Development and validity of workplace bullying in nursing-type inventory (WPBN-TI). Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 44(2), 209-18. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.2.209
- H. Y. Kang (2014). The relationship among nurses' workplace bullying, organizational commitment and turnover intention. Master's Thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- S. Y. Park (2016). The relationships among workplace bullying, job stress, and turnover intention in nurses working at hospital. Master's Thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- J. O. Cheong. (2017). An empirical study on the relationships between organizational politics, conflicts, and justice employing structural equation modeling. Korean Public Management Review, 31(4), 243-68. https://doi.org/10.24210/kapm.2017.31.4.011
- S. H. Cheong. (2018). A Ground Theory on Occurrence and Persistence of Tae-um among Nurses on the Nursing Unit Environment, Department of Nursing. Doctoral dissertation. Seoul National University, Seoul.