- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study on Maximization of Value of Dokdo as a Tourism Destination for Marine Education
해양교육 관광목적지로서의 독도의 가치 극대화 연구
- Lee, Woong-Kyu (Division of Tourism, Baekseok University)
- 이웅규 (백석대학교 관광학부)
- Received : 2019.05.31
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.08.28
The purpose of this study was to evaluate and maximize the value of Dokdo as a marine educational tourism destination. The purpose of this study was to contribute to the identification of Dokdo as a unique territory of Korea rather than a disputed territory by further activating Dokdo tourism. The revitalization of Dokdo tourism was reviewed and analyzed from the viewpoint that it is possible when Dokdo is recognized as a destination for marine educational tourism. As a result of reviewing various research papers, periodicals, and government documents published in Korea and abroad, it is necessary to emphasize on-site education such as patriotism, anti-Japanese consciousness, and historical awareness in order to maximize value as a marine educational destination of Dokdo. Points out that it is possible to differentiate from other tourist destinations. Second, it pointed out that Dokdo preserves and develops to maximize the resource value of various tourism resources it possesses. Third, it pointed out to develop specialized tourism resources that can be linked with Dokdo tourism. Fourth, it pointed out that Dokdo will maximize its development potential as a marine educational tourism destination. Fifth, it is pointed out that there is a need to improve the educational program related to Dokdo. Finally, I pointed out that I would like to develop a variety of marine educational tourism contents and tourism programs linked with Ulleungdo.
Marine Education;Tourism Destination;Dokdo Tourism;Value Maximization;Tourism Resources;Tourism Program
Supported by : 백석대학교
- 3.1 The 100th anniversary of the movement: Celebrate with the footsteps of the last 100 years, the beginning of the new 100 years. (2019. 2. 21). Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.
- H. D. Kim. (2011). Pursuing Systematic Class Dodkdo Education. The Journal of Dokdo, 11, 53-81.
- J. S. Park. (2010). Status Quo and Problem of Elementary School Dokdo Education -focused on elementary school Dokdo education operation among schools in Gyeongsangbuk-do province education office-. The Journal of Dokdo, 8, 121-150.
- T. Y. Seo. (2012). Education on Dokdo and East Sea in Secondary Geography Textbook from 1945 Liberation to 1950s. Journal of the association of Korean geographers, 1(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.25202/JAKG.1.1.1
- H. Y. Song. (2011). Analysis of Contents Related to Dokdo in Middle School Social Studies Textbooks. Jorunal of Photo Geography, 21(3), 17-35.
- H. Y. Song. (2012). Analysis of Contents Related to Dokdo in High School Korean Geography Textbooks. Journal of Photo Geography, 22(2), 53-69.
- Y. J. You. (2007). A Study on the Activation Plan of Edutainment Tourism in Ulleungdo. International Journal of Tourism Management and Sciences, 22(1), 177-197.
- J. W. Kim & W. S. Jho. (2018). A Study on the Change of North Korea's Attitude toward Korea-Japan Dokdo Conflict. Information Society & Media, 19(2), 169-189.
- C. H. Kim, Y. S. Cho & J. H. Lim. (2013). The Selectorate Theory and Japanese Policies for Dokdo. Korean Political Science Review, 47(5), 431-457. https://doi.org/10.18854/kpsr.2013.47.5.020
- T. W. Kim. (2011). Military Backgrounds and Progresses of Bombing of Dokdo Island by the USAF, 1948. Dongbuga Yeoksa Nonchong, 32, 375-411.
- H. D. Kim. (2008). The Historical Change of Ulleungd o?Dokdo's Status in the Local Administrative System. Journal of Association for Korean Public Administration History, 23, 187-214.
- H. D. Kim. (2010). Japan's Ulleungdo-Dokdo Policy during the Meiji Era. Journal of Japanese Culture, 46, 65-90.
- W. K. Kim. (2011). The Battle of East Sea and Dokdo's Strategic Value -Focused on the Russo-Japanese War and the Forced Seizure of Dokdo by Japan-. DAEGUSAHAK, 103, 149-176.
- M. H. Kang. (2017). The Value of Stories of Historical Figures and a Consideration of the Stories: Focused on Ahn Yong Bok. DONGAINMUNHAK, 39, 49-74.
- J. B. Shim. (2017). Exploration of Contents related to Dokdo Between Modern Korea and Japan Geography Education. The Journal Of Dokdo, 23, 421-459.
- B. S. Park. (2011). Russo-Japan War and Dokdo Value. The Journal Of Dokdo, 10, 203-234.
- C. G. Park. (2005). Dokdo Offshore Marine Resources and Strategic Value. Military Forum, 44, 6-27.
- J. K. Shim. (2013). Strengthening the Sovereignty(Effective Domination) of Dokdo through Effective Value Creation. Democratic Party of Korea, 1-63.
- K. W. Lee. (2012). Japan's 'Dokdo' Policy and 'Dokdo Question' - Case of the dispute about a visit of members of the Liberal Democratic Party to Ulleung Island. Peace Studies, 20(1), 139-167.
- S. H. Lee. (2015). Japanese Policies for Dokdo and Korea-Japan Relations. Journal of Korean Political and Diplomatic History, 36(2), 137-166. https://doi.org/10.18206/kapdh.36.2.201502.137
- B. J. Jeong. (2006). Korea-Japan Dispute on the sovereignty over Dokto Island and the role of U.S. YOKSA WA HYONSIL, 60, 3-16.
- S. W. Kim & I. S. Choi. (2002). The value of Dokdo as a tourist destination. Proceedings of the 51th Korean Tourism Society Conference, 448-459.
- S. I. Kim. (2014a). The relationship among motivation, destination image, satisfaction and loyalty of Dokdo Tourist. Hanyang University Master's Thesis.
- S. I. Kim. (2014b). Why do people go to Dokdo, what they are satisfied with and what they seek. Proceedings of the 75th Korean Tourism Society Conference in Jeonbuk, 75(1), 459-477.
- S. I. Kim & C. Jeong. (2015). The relationship among Motivation, Destination Image, Satisfaction and Loyalty of Dodo Tourist. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Studies, 17(1), 388-408.
- T. K. Kim, C. K. Lee & D. E. Lee. (2014). Measuring Willingness to Pay for Attributes of Ecotourism in Dokdo Using A Choice Experiment. Journal of Tourism Sciences, 38(1), 137-154.
- D. S. Shin. (2009). A Study on the Development of Dokdo Tourism Product. International Tourism Industry Research, 2(3), 7-52.
- H. K. Yeo, D. H. Kim & J. S. Choi. (2007). Relation between Tourism Attractions as Marine Tourism Resources and Tourism Development Type in Dok-do. Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, 19(2), 407-425.
- S. H. Yoo, J. S. Lee & Y. K. Chung. (2011). Assessment of Non-market Value of Dokdo. Ocean and Polar Research, 33(3), 223-233. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2011.33.3.223
- C. K. Lee. (2013). Estimating the Preservation Value of Dokdo:Using Two Stage Contingent Valuation Method. Journal of Tourism Sciences, 37(4), 117-139.
- Y. D. Jang, J. H. Lim, S. G. Hwang & J. J. Kim. (2009). Value and Strategy of Ulleungdo-Dokdo as World Geopark. 2009 Autumn Geological Science Association Conference, 45-55.
- S. R. Cho. (2009). Ecological value of Dokdo and migratory birds. Yeongnam University Dokdo Research Institute Conference, 109-118.
- J. K. Choi. (2012). Research about the Prejudice(Value. Name.Management) of Dokdo Territory Right Problems. The Japanese Modern Association of Korea, 38, 131-151.
- B. R. Ha & S. G. Lee. (2015). Estimating the Preservation Value of Ulleung Island's Natural Tourism Resources:Ulleung Ariport construction. International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, 29(2), 5-18.
- S. Hosany, Y. Ekinci, & M. Uysal. (2006). Destination image and destination personality: An application of branding theories to tourism places. Journal of Business Research, 59(5), 638-642. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2006.01.001
- A. M. Morrison. (2013). Marketing and Managing Tourism Destinations. Routledge.
- E. Hertzman, D. Anderson & S. Rowley. (2008). Edutainment heritage tourist attractions: a portrait of visitors' experiences at Storyeum. Museum Management and Curatorship, 23(2), 155-175. https://doi.org/10.1080/09647770802012227
- Isacsson, A. & Gretzel, U. (2011). Facebook as an Edutainment Medium to Engage Students in Sustainability and Tourism. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology, 2(1), 81-90. https://doi.org/10.1108/17579881111112430
- K. M. Kim. (2015). A study on the tourism interpretation and destination image. Jeonju University Doctoral Thesis, 1-181.
- Y. R. Heo. (2011). A Study on relationship among the personal value, lifestyle, motive and attractions of visitorson marine tourism destination. Sejong University Ph.D thesis, 1-135.
- Y. J. You & K. H. Lee. (2006). A plan to revitalize Ulleungdo education tourism in connection with Dokdo. A Study on the Improvement of the Value of Ulleungdo and Dokdo, 89-140.
- B. M. Son. (2011). The Effect of Destination Choice Attributes on Perceived Value and Loyalty of Tourists. International Journal of Tourism Management and Sciences, 26(1), 201-228.
- S. M. Yoon, J. A. Park & C. K. Lee. (2012). Examining the Relationships among Attractive Attribute, Satisfaction, and Loyalty of Ancient Palace as Cultural Tourism Resource: A Case of Visitors to Gyeongbok Palace. Seoul Studies, 13(1), 149-166.
- Atay, Lutfi & Yildirim, Haci Mehmet. (2009). Determining Factors that Affect Satisfaction of Students in Undergraduate Tourism Education. An International Multidisciplinary Journal of Tourism, 5(1), 73-87.
- Swarbrooke, J. & Horner, S. (2007). Consumer Behaviour in Tourism. Routledge.
- J. O. Kwak. (2015). Look Over on Dokdo : Focus on Middle Ages, Modern Ages, and the Post-War Era. Journal of Korean-Japanese Military and Culture, 20, 189-218.
- Woodruff, R. B. (1997). Customer Value: the Next Source for Competitive Advantage. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 25(2), 139-153. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02894350
- S. D. Lee. (2008). Studies on the Change and Conservation of Avifauna in Dok-do and the Surrounding Islands. Korean Journal of Nature Conservation, 2(1), 65-73.
- S. K. Bae & C. O. Chu. (2016). Geological heritage of the Ulleungdo.Dokdo National Geopark and its management system. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, 52(5), 739-761. https://doi.org/10.14770/jgsk.2016.52.5.739
- S. Y. Yang & H. S. Lim. (2016). Developing tourism souvenirs of Samcheok-si -by applying symbol motif from the Isabu & Dokdo Festival-. Journal of Korea Design Forum, 53, 153-162.
- M. G. Kim. (2011). Changes in the marine environment and ecosystem of the Dokdo coast due to climate change. Proceedings of the Korean Society of Environment and Ecology Conference, 21(1), 6-13.
- K. L. Ko. (2007). The Way of Developing & Making use of 'DOK-DO' Culture Content. Journal of Cultural Industry Studies, 7(1), 5-24.
- J. Y. Lee & H. R. Lee. (2016). A Study on the Effect Relationship between the Dokdo Special Interest Tourists Motivation and Citizenship Behavior: A Research Based on the Mediating Effect of Tourism Commitment. Journal of Tourism Sciences, 40(2), 101-122.
- C. W. Lee. (2006). Sovereignty dispute in Northeast Asia and Korea's response strategy. Seoul : Downsam, 1-293.
- D. S. Lim. (2010). The validity of Dokdo in Korea: Political geographical perspective. The Korean Geographical Society 2010 Annual Conference, 53-62.
- K. H. Yi & H. G. Yuk. (2012). Children's Basic Knowledge and Cognition on Tokdo-Island, Korea. The Journal of The Korean Association of Geographic and Environmental Education, 20(1), 23-32. https://doi.org/10.17279/jkagee.2012.20.1.23
- J. S. Park. (2010). Status Quo and Problem of Elementary School Dokdo Education -focused on elementary school Dokdo education operation among schools in Gyeongsangbuk-do province education office-. The Journal Of Dokdo, 8, 121-150.
- Dean Rusk. (1991). Memorandum of the Cold War. Seoul : SIKONGSA, 1-492.
- Korea Institute of Mental Culture. (1999). Establishment of the Park Chung Hee Government and the May 16, 1-283.
- Junpaku Nakayasu. (1965). Clearing an Unusual Past-14 years of Japan-Korea negotiations. World Weekly Report, 46(15), Newsletter Press: 20-25.
- B. J. Jeong. (2005). William J. Sebald and his role in the beginning of so-called Dokto Dispute. Critical Review of History, 71, 140-170.
- B. H. Choi. (2010). Maritime Territorial Disputes and Sovereignty over Dokdo Islets. The Korean Journal of Local Government Studies, 14(2), 217-241.
- T. W. Lee. (2016). A Study on Development and Background of Dokdo Bombing Accident in 1948. The Journal Of Dokdo, 20, 121-141.
- S. K. Hong. (2015). An Analysis on Legal and Diplomatic Implications of Two Issues on Dokdo: The Korean Proclamation of the Peace Line and the Japanese Designation of Dokdo as a Bombing Range. The Journal Of Dokdo, 18, 167-192.
- Y. K. Kim. (2007). Suggestions for peaceful settlement of Dokdo issue. The Journal Of Dokdo, 3, 169-184.
- B. G. Song. (2005). The rewritten Ulleungdo and Dokdo. Dankook University Press, 1-324.
- M. K. Kim. (2014). Dokdo Dominium of Korea from the Perspective of International Law - Centering on the recovery of the suspended title. The Review of Isabu and East Sea, 7, 55-83.
- S. H. Cho. (2008). The U.S. Strategy Toward Japan After the World War II and the Dokdo Issue. RIAS, 17(2), 41-80.
- Y. K. Lee & S. H. Kim. (2005). The story of Dokdo in Japan. Seoul : Yenaroo, 1-319.
- Kazariyan, R. (2006). About the problem of Dokdo. Yeongnam University Dokdo Research Institute 2006 International Conference, 71-77.
- Saburo Toyama. (1979). Japan-Chinese.Japan-Russia. History of Daito-Honkai. Tokyo: Hara Shobo, 250-255.
- Y. J. Chang, H. J. Lee & C. H. Kim. (2014). A Site-specific Art in Dokdo as an Artistic Territory. Territory and Seas, 7, 180-205.
- Sanchez-Fernandez, R. & Iniesta-Bonillo, M. A. (2007). The concept of perceived value, a systematic review of the research. Marketing Theory, 7(4), 427-451. https://doi.org/10.1177/1470593107083165
- H. San Martin & I. A. R. Del Bosque. (2008). Exploring the cognitive, affective nature of destination image & the role of psychological factors in its formation. Tourism Management, 29(2), 263-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2007.03.012
- N. Prebensen, K. Skallerud, J. S. Chen. (2010). Tourist Motivation with Sun and Sand Destinations: Satisfaction and the Wom-Effect. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 27(8), 858-873. https://doi.org/10.1080/10548408.2010.527253
- G. Lan, Z. Ma, J. Cao & H. Zhang. (2009). A comparison of personal values of Chinese accounting practitioners and students. Journal of Business Ethics, 88(1), 59-76. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-008-9829-6
- L. Ledden & S. P. Kalafatis. (2010). The impact of time on perceptions of educational value. International Journal of Public Sector Management, 23(2), 141-157. https://doi.org/10.1108/09513551011022492
- N. T. Feather. (1995). Values, valences, and choice: The influences of values on the perceived attractiveness and choice of alternatives. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 68(6), 1135. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1995
- V. A. Zeithaml. (1988). Consumer perceptions of price, quality, and value: a means-end model and synthesis of evidence. Journal of Marketing, 52(3), 2-22. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224298805200302
- E. C. Tolman. (1952). A cognition motivation model. Psychological Review, 59(5), 389-395. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0057209
- M. Rokeach. (1968). A Theory of Organization and Change Within Value-Attitude Systems. Journal of Social Issues, 24(1), 13-33. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1968.tb01466.x
- M. Rokeach. (1973). The Nature of Human Values. Free press, 42-94.
- D. E. Vinson, J. E. Scott & L. M. Lamont. (1977). The role of personal values in marketing and consumer behavior. Journal of Marketing, 41(2), 44-50. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224297704100106
- W. A. Kamakura & T. P. Novak. (1992). Value-system segmentation: Exploring the meaning of LOV. Journal of Consumer Research, 19(1), 119-132. https://doi.org/10.1086/209291
- Y. H. Joo & D. H. Son. (1998). A Study of Skiers' Resort Marketing Strategy by Their Behavioral Characteristics. Journal of Tourism Development, 9, 272-299.
- J. F. Engel, R. D. Blackwell, & P. W. Miniard. (1986). Consumer Behaviour. Dryden, 43-117.
- O. K. Yoon. (2007). he Meaning and Direction of Marine Geographical Names in Geography Education. Journal of the Korean Cartographic Association, 7(1), 55-64.