- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study on Obstacles and Promotion of Faculty Technology Entrepreneurship
교수 기술창업 장애요인 및 활성화 방안에 관한 연구
- Park, Keon Chul (Div. of Policy Study, Seoul Digital Foundation) ;
- Lee, Chi Hyung (Dept. of Advertising and PR, Pyeongtaek University)
- Received : 2019.06.10
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.08.28
This study suggests the ways to promote the technology startups founded by professor, who differs from student or researcher in social status, risk-taking tendency, and motivation. Literatures were reviewed to understand the advantage of faculty's tech start-up, foreign cases, and related researches. In addition, key stakeholders were interviewed. The study shows that domestic faculty entrepreneurship is currently in infant stage while facing obstacles in institutional, financial and practical aspects. In order to promote faculty entrepreneurship, the study suggests that university and professor set up the benefit sharing structure in advance, that the public sector establishes a holding company or investment fund dedicated to support a faculty startup, that proactive effort be made to attract passive professors to the startup world, and that private companies join faculty startups in the process of concept proofing and product commercialization. The study is expected to provide government, university, and industry with practical implication in promoting faculty startup.
Technology startup;Faculty startup;Interview;Commercialization;Concept proofing
- D. P. Shin. (2018). Evaluation of current policies supporting technology-based startups and its implication, KISTEP issue weekly 2018-08.
- Y. S. Yang. (2016), 'Inbound globalization' model for enhancing the global performance of high-tech startups from GRI(Government Research Institutions) with diagnosing the its defects. Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, 11(3), 27-35
- S. J. Sohn & E. S. Yang. (2012). Policy improvement plan for promoting university R&D-based technology startups. STEPI. 2012-2.
- Y. S. Kim. (2014). Analysis of factors affecting university's technology-based startups and supporting policy. STEPI, 2014-29.
- J. Y. Choi. (2015). A Study for comparing advanced policies and environments to support science and technology venture. KISDIC. J.
- C. J. Lee & J. I. Choi. (2019). Factors influencing technology commercialization of universities in Korea : Systematic literature review on domestic research. Journal of Korea technology innovation society, 22(1), 50-84.
- B. J. Koo, S. W. Kim & H. B. Kim (2018). A Study on vitalization of faculty-associated startups: focusing on conflicts of interests regulations. Journal of Technology Innovation, 26(1), 59-83. https://doi.org/10.14386/SIME.2018.26.1.59
- S. H. Kim & G. B. Lee. (2016). An Empirical study on management strategies of the technology based startup. The Journal of Humanities and Social science, 7(4), 407-424.
- C. Y. Lee, I. H. Hwang & J. S. Kim. (2016). The Influential factors to growth intention and performance in early-stage technology-based startup companies. Korean Society of Business Venturing, 11(2), 49-62.
- A. Thomas, R. Passaro & I. Quinto. (2019). Developing Entrepreneurship in Digital Economy: The Ecosystem Strategy for Startups Growth. Strategy and Behaviors in the Digital Economy, Intechopen
- J. W. Eo et al. (2012). The Information Support Strategy for Global Technology Commercialization of SME by Analysis of the Global Technology Commercialization Programs. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 2(2), 27-34.
- J. J. Chrisman, T. Hynes & S. Fraser. (1995). Faculty entrepreneurship and economic development: The case of the University of Calgary. Journal of Business Venturing, 10(4), 267-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(95)00015-Z
- Y. S. Kim & C. M. Park. (2008). A Study of Commercialization Model of University Research Results. The Korea Entrepreneurship Society, 3(2), 123-132.
- M. Perkmann et al. (2013). Academic engagement and commercialization: A review of the literature on university-industry relations.Research Policy, 42(2), 423-442. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2012.09.007
- S. H. Bae, H. K. Lee(2019), Effects of Interdisciplinary R&D on Technology Commercialization. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 9(1), 28-37. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2019.9.1.028
- S. J. Sohn. (2013). A Study on overseas major programs designed to activate technology entrepreneurship. STEPI, 23(2).
- S. J. Sohn, J. H. Jung & C. Y. Yim. (2014). Value and potential of technology holding company. STEPI Insight 146.
- Y. J. Lee & S. Y. Jung. (2009). Ways to improve technology transfer and commercialization at University. STEPI ISSUES & POLICY 2009-09, 1-14.
- B. K. Kim (2018). Open innovation and startup ecosystem in Japan, Institute for International Trade, Trade Brief #16.