- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Digital Technologies on Adolescent Mental Health: The Role of Parenting Style and Peer Attachment
청소년의 컴퓨터 및 인터넷 이용이 정신건강에 미치는 영향: 양육방식과 또래애착의 조절효과
- Park, Jaeyoung (Graduate School of Information, Yonsei University) ;
- Han, Chihun (Graduate School of Information, Yonsei University) ;
- Oh, Joohyun (Barun ICT Research Center, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2019.05.16
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.08.28
This study examined the effect of digital technologies on adolescent mental health; attention deficit, aggression, depression. Furthermore, we investigated the role of parenting style and peer attachment as they might have effects on digital technologies. Using two-wave longitudinal data, we conducted longitudinal analysis from the Korean Children and Youth Panel Survey done in 2015 and 2016. Results showed that computer and internet usage for learning purpose has a positive effect on mental health, while computer games and social media have negative effects. Also, the positive effects of learning on depression indicated stronger in adolescents who felt less affection from their parents. On the other hand, the negative effects of computer games and social media could be moderated by both parenting style and peer attachment. Implications of these results and directions for future research are discussed.
Adolescent;Mental Health;Computer Usage;Internet Usage;Parenting Style;Peer Attachment
- KISA. (2018). 2018 Survey on the Internet Usage. Naju.
- KISDI. (2017). 2017 Korea Media Panel Survey. Jincheon.
- M. W. Choi, H. H. Cho & Y. A. Kim. (2016). The Effect of Internet Usage, Fandom Activities and Sense of Community on Adolescents' Mental Health in the Digital Era. Journal of digital convergence, 14(9), 349-358. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.9.349
- J. Harwood, J. J. Dooley, A. J. Scott & R. Joiner. (2014). Constantly connected-The effects of smart-devices on mental health. Computers in Human Behavior, 34, 267-272. DOI : 10.1016/j.chb.2014.02.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.02.006
- A. Visnjic, V. Velickovic, D. Sokolovic, M. Stankovic, K. Mijatovic, M. Stojanovic & O. Radulovic. (2018). Relationship between the manner of mobile phone use and depression, anxiety, and stress in university students. International journal of environmental research and public health, 15(4), 697. DOI : 10.3390/ijerph15040697 https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15040697
- H. S. Yoo. (2017.11.02.). adolescents 'mental health' red sign. Korea Policy News http://m.kpinews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=58224#_enliple.
- C. H. Lee, S. Y. Kang & D. H. Lee. (2013). A study on support measures for children and adolescents' mental health promotion III. Sejong : National Youth Policy Institute.
- B. K. Park. (2009). An Analysis of the developmental path of Adolescent'depression and suicidal ideation. Mental health & Social work, 31, 207-235.
- Y. S. Hong & S. Y. Jeon. (2005). The effects of life stress and depression for adolescent suicidal ideation. Mental health & Social work, 19, 125-149.
- M. S. Lee, E. Y. Oh, S. M. Cho, M. J. Hong & J. S. Moon. (2001). An assessment of adolescent Internet addiction problems related to depression, social anxiety and peer relationship. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 40(4), 616-628.
- S. H. Jang & K. D. Cho. (2010). Effects of depression scale, interaction anxiety and school adjustment on cellular phone addiction of teenagers. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 10(11), 285-293. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.11.285
- J. Y. Kim & Y. K. Chung. (2007). Mediating effect of aggression on the relationship between parenting practice and violent behaviors in adolescent. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 14(5), 169-197.
- K. T. Jeong. (2003). Social support and perceived stress influence to adolescent aggressiveness. The Journal of Child Education, 12(2), 151-162.
- J. Y. Kim & K. H. Choi. (2012). The co-occurrence of child physical abuse and neglect. Journal of Adolescent Welfare, 14(3), 193-213.
- E. Roland & T. Idsoe. (2001). Aggression and bullying. Aggressive Behavior: Official Journal of the International Society for Research on Aggression, 27(6), 446-462. DOI : 10.1002/ab.1029
- J. H. Joo & Y. K. Cho. (2007). A study on the online game influences in aggression of adolescents: Focusing on the 'Lineage' users. Journal of Cybercommunication Academic Society, 24, 79-115.
- S. C. Shin & S. K. Baek. (2013). The influence of adolescents' smart phone addiction on aggression. Korean Review of Crisis and Emergency Management, 9(11), 345-361.
- E. H. Ko & E. J. Kim. (2015). The Effects of Depression, Inattention, Internet Use and Teacher-student/Peer Relationships on Cyber Delinquency in Adolescents: Testing the Moderated Mediation Effect. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 22(3), 1-26.
- Y. S. Sung. (2008). Mobile phone dependency, motivations and effects of mobile phone usage among Korean adolescents. Korean Journal of Child Studies, 29(4), 181-197.
- J. A. Seol. (2010). A Study on Korean Teenagers' Internet Usage and Motivation for Online Communication Activities. Media, Gender & Culture, 4, 43-72.
- W. C. Jeong & S. S. Park. (2015). The Mediating Effects of Social Supports in the Relationship between Aggression and Smart phone Addiction of University Students. Journal of Welfare for The Correction, 38, 219-242.
- S. J. Kim, S. G. Park & S. H. Moon. (2015). Analysis on Smartphone Usage Types of Youth: Q Methodological Approach. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 22(2), 1-26.
- J. Y. Kim. (2009). The effect of computer/internet usage among youth and the effects on mental health: Variations by gender and the mode of usage. Studies on Korean Youth, 20(2), 113-139.
- C. Morgan & S. R. Cotten. (2003). The relationship between Internet activities and depressive symptoms in a sample of college freshmen. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 6(2), 133-142. DOI : 10.1089/109493103321640329 https://doi.org/10.1089/109493103321640329
- P. M. Valkenburg, J. Peter & A. P. Schouten. (2006). Friend networking sites and their relationship to adolescents' well-being and social self-esteem. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 9(5), 584-590. DOI : 10.1089/cpb.2006.9.584 https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2006.9.584
- I. K. Seo & Y. S. Lee. (2016). Effects of Adolescents' Motivation for Use of Smart Phone ontheir Addiction to Smart Phone: Control Effect of Social Suppor. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology, 23(4), 857-875.
- M. H. Selfhout, S. J. Branje, M. Delsing, T. F. ter Bogt & W. H. Meeus. (2009). Different types of Internet use, depression, and social anxiety: The role of perceived friendship quality. Journal of adolescence, 32(4), 819-833. DOI : 10.1016/j.adolescence.2008.10.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2008.10.011
- B. W. Hardy & J. Castonguay. (2018). The moderating role of age in the relationship between social media use and mental well-being: An analysis of the 2016 General Social Survey. Computers in Human Behavior, 85, 282-290. DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2018.04.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2018.04.005
- S. M. Kim, L. L. Cho, I. Cheong & B. R. Lim. (2011). The effect of internet usage types on adolescent depression and aggression mediated by school maladjustment and academic achievement: Focusing on gender difference. Journal of School Social Work, 20(20), 175-195.
- E. M. Lim & S. S. Chung. (2009). The changes of youths stress and depression and the long-term effects of stress on the depression. Korean journal of youth studies, 16(3), 99-121.
- L. Y. Lin, J. E. Sidani, A. Shensa, A. Radovic, E. Miller, J. B. Colditz & B. A. Primack. (2016). Association between social media use and depression among US young adults. Depression and anxiety, 33(4), 323-331. DOI : 10.1002/da.22466 https://doi.org/10.1002/da.22466
- C. A. Anderson, A. Shibuya, N. Ihori, E. L. Swing, B. J. Bushman, A. Sakamoto & M. Saleem. (2010). Violent video game effects on aggression, empathy, and prosocial behavior in Eastern and Western countries: A meta-analytic review. Psychological bulletin, 136(2), 151. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018251
- R. Kraut, S. Kiesler, B. Boneva, J. Cummings, V. Helgeson & A. Crawford. (2002). Internet paradox revisited. Journal of social issues, 58(1), 49-74. DOI : 10.1111/1540-4560.00248 https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-4560.00248
- J. Mirowsky & C. E. Ross. (2007). Creative work and health. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 48(4), 385-403. DOI : 10.1177/002214650704800404 https://doi.org/10.1177/002214650704800404
- E. K. Byun & S. H. Park. (2014). Effects of major satisfaction and employment stress on depression in college students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 15(1), 323-330. DOI : 10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.323 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.1.323
- P. I. Cerretani, E. B. Iturrioz & P. B. Garay. (2016). Use of information and communications technology, academic performance and psychosocial distress in university students. Computers in Human Behavior, 56, 119-126. DOI : 10.1016/j.chb.2015.11.026 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.11.026
- E. J. Yang, M. R. Park & J. K. Chang. (2016). An Impact of Family Environment, Education Environment, and Media Environment on Depression in Middle School Students. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 23(10), 205-234.
- Y. Li. (2019). Upward social comparison and depression in social network settings: The roles of envy and self-efficacy. Internet Research, 29(1), 46-59. DOI : 10.1108/IntR-09-2017-0358
- Q. Q. Liu, Z. K. Zhou, X. J. Yang, G. F. Niu, Y. Tian & C. Y. Fan. (2017). Upward social comparison on social network sites and depressive symptoms: A moderated mediation model of self-esteem and optimism. Personality and Individual Differences, 113, 223-228. DOI : 10.1016/j.paid.2017.03.037 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2017.03.037
- J. H. Oh & J. H. Kang. (2014). The Effect of Heterogeneous Social Capital on Participatory Interests and the Role of SNS : 2012 Korean General Social Survey. Journal of Cybercommunication. 31(4), 141-188.
- World Health Organization. (2004). Promoting mental health: Concepts, emerging evidence, practice: Summary report.
- M. Panagiotidi. (2017). Problematic video game play and ADHD traits in an adult population. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 20(5), 292-295. DOI : 10.1089/cyber.2016.0676 https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2016.0676
- S. H. Baek & J. Kim. (2018). A Convergence Study on association of Internet Use Time with Perceived Status in Adolescents. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 9(11), 153-159. DOI : 10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.11.153