- Volume 28 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Hermetia illucens Powder on Duck Litter Quality and Livestock Environment
동애등에(Hermetia illucens) 분말을 오리 사료에 첨가 시 오리 깔짚 특성과 축산환경에 미치는 영향
- Chung, Tae-Ho (Division of Integrated Biotechnology, Joongbu Univeristy)
- 정태호 (중부대학교 바이오융합학부)
- Received : 2019.07.05
- Accepted : 2019.08.06
- Published : 2019.08.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of dietary Hermetia illucens powder on duck litter quality. One hundred twenty Pekin ducks (0 day old) were assigned to 2 groups (0% and 0.5% Hermetia illucens powder) with 3 replicates (20 ducks per replicate) for 42 days. Duck litter quality included moisture, pH, VBN, total nitrogen, ammonia, and temperature. Litter pH and VBN values were significantly affected by Hermetia illucens powder (p<0.05). However, moisture and total nitrogen values were not greatly influenced by the addition of 0.5% Hermetia illucens powder (p>0.05). At 21, 28 and 35 days, both 0.5% Hermetia illucens powder and controls had a great effect (p<0.05) on ammonia contents, except at 7, 14 and 42 days. In comparison to control, ammonia contents in groups with 0.5% Hermetia illucens powder were reduced from 16.9 to 41.8% as the days increased. Duck litter showed lower temperature by 0.5% Hermetia illucens powder compare to control. In terms of environmental managements, these results suggest that using 0.5% Hermetia illucens powder as feed additives improved litter quality and decreased ammonia contents.
Supported by : 중부대학교
- AOAC, 2000, Official methods of analysis of AOAC International, (17th ed.), Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- Chaney, A. L., Marbach, E. P., 1962, Modified reagents for determination of urea and ammonia, Clin. Chem., 8, 130-132. https://doi.org/10.1093/clinchem/8.2.130
- Elliott, H. A., Collins, N. E., 1982, Factors affecting ammonia release in broiler houses, Trans. ASAE., 25, 413-418. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.33545
- Kim, J. G., Choi, Y. C., Choi, J. Y., Kim, W. T., Jeong, G. S., Park, K. H., Hwang, S. J., 2008, Ecology of the black soldier fly, Hermetia illucens (Diptera: Stratmyidae) in Korea, Kor J Appl Entomol., 47, 337-343. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2008.47.4.337
- Moon, J. H., Sung, M. S., Kim, J. H., Kim, B. S., Kim, Y. S., 2013, Quality factors of freshness and palatability of Hanwoo from their physicochemical and sensorial properties, Korean J. Food Sci., 33, 796-805. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2013.33.6.796
- Park, B. S., Kang, H. K., Lee, E. S., Park, T. J., Yu, T. H., 2003, Feed nutritional value of fly larvae., Ann. Anim. Res. Sci., 14, 67-75.
- Park, J. Y., Heo, J. C., An, S. M., Yun, E. Y., Han, S. M., Hwang, J. S., Kang, S. W., Yun, C. Y., Lee, S. H., 2005, High throughput-compatible screening of anti-oxidative substances by insect extract library, Korean. J. Food. Preserv., 12, 482-488.
- Park, K. H., Choi, J. Y., Nam, S. H., Kim, S. H., Kwak, K. W., Lee, S. H., Nho, S. K., 2014, Antioxidant activities of black soldier fly, Hermetia illucens, J. Seric. Entomol. Sci., 52, 142-146.
- Park, S. O., Park, K. H., Park, B. S., Nam, S. H., Choi, Y. C., 2013, Effect of dietary black soldier fly (Hermetia illucens(Diptera: Stratmyidae)) pupa on egg production in laying hens, Korean. J. Nature. Conserv., 7, 136-141. https://doi.org/10.11624/KJNC.2013.7.2.136
- Reece, F. N., Bates, B. J., Lott, B. D., 1979, Ammonia control in broiler houses, Poult. Sci., 58, 754-755. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0580754
- SAS, 2002, SAS/STAT User's guide: Version 8.2. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Sherman, R. A., Hall, M. J. R., Thomas, S., 2000, Medical maggots: An Ancient remedy for some contemporary afflictions, Annu. Rev. Entomol., 45, 55-81. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ento.45.1.55