- Volume 10 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The convergence study of beliefs supporting aggression and aggression in elementary students: Focusing on mediating effects of self-esteem
초등학생의 공격신념과 공격성에 대한 융합 연구: 자아존중감의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Yoo, Sun-Yee (Nursing Department, Woosong College)
- 유선이 (우송정보대학 간호학과)
- Received : 2019.06.24
- Accepted : 2019.08.20
- Published : 2019.08.28
This study was conducted to understand the relationship between elementary students' beliefs supporting aggression, aggression and self-esteem. In addition, we aimed to provide basic data for controlling the aggression of children and developing effective coping strategies. This study population consisted of 184 elementary school students. Data were analyzed using SPSS 24.0 program. As a result, the aggression of elementary school students showed a significant positive correlation with beliefs supporting aggression(r=.39, p<.001) and a significant negative correlation with self-esteem(r=-.46, p<.001). In addition, Results of the hierarchical regression analysis revealed that self-esteem has the mediating effect on the relationship between beliefs supporting aggression and aggression(
- G. J. Hong et al. (2016). Nursing care of infants and children. Paju : SOOMOONSA.
- M. J. Kostelnik, K. M. Gregory, A. K. Soderman & A. P. Whiren. (2011). Guiding children's social development and learning: Cengage Learning.
- J. Y. Lee & H. J. Kim. (2015). Aggression of bullies, victims, and bully-victims : Mediating effects of hostile attributions and normative beliefs. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction.15(12), 685-714.
- C. M. Schaeffer, H. Petras, N. Ialongo, J. Poduska. & S. Sheppard. (2003). Modeling growth in boys' aggressive behavior across elementary school: links to later criminal involvement, conduct disorder, and antisocial personality disorder. Developmental Psychology. 39(6), 1020-1035. DOI : 10.1037/0012-16220.127.116.110 https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1618.104.22.1680
- H. J. Jeon & M. Y. Huh. (2013). A study on supporting problem behavior in the classroom for school age children. Childfund Korea Research Paper.213(0), 174-219.
- N. R. Crick & J. K. Grotpeter. (1995). Relational aggression, gender, and social‐psychological adjustment. Child Development. 66(3), 710-22. DOI : 10.2307/1131945 https://doi.org/10.2307/1131945
- K. A. Dodge & J. D. Coie. (1987). Social-information-processing factors in reactive and proactive aggression in children's peer groups. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 53(6), 1146-1158. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1246
- M. J. Seo. (2012). Subtypes of changes in overt and relational aggression and predictors of high-risk trajectories in children. Journal of the Korean Society of Child Welfare, 38(0), 157-186.
- J. Y. Son. (2003). The effects of aggression beliefs and emotion regulation capacity on aggressive behavior: Based on social information processing. The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, 11(2), 96-110.
- C. S. Lee & H. Y. Jang. (2018). Moderating effect of empathy on the relationship between self-esteem and aggression of adolescents. Journal of Digital Convergence, 16(1), 47-53. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2018.16.1.047 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.1.047
- L. R. Huesmann & N. G. Guerra. (1997). Children's normative beliefs about aggression and aggressive behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 72(2), 408-419. DOI : 10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1998 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.528
- J. Y. Lee & H. J. Kim. (2015). Aggression of bullies, victims, and bully-victims : Mediating effects of hostile attributions and normative beliefs. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 15(12), 685-714.
- V. Souweidane & L. R. Huesmann. (1999). The influence of American urban culture on the development of normative beliefs about aggression in Middle-Eastern immigrants. American Journal of Community Psycholog,. 27(2), 239-254. DOI : 10.1023/A:1022887702034 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022887702034
- F. R. Rosenberg, M. Rosenberg & J. McCord. (1978). Self-esteem and delinquency. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 7(3), 279-294. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01537978
- D. K. Park & J. Y. Lee. (2010). Mediating effect of children's self-esteem between teacher's classroom control and aggression of elementary students. Korean Journal of Play Therapy, 13(3), 55-73.
- R. G. Slaby & N. G. Guerra. (1988). Cognitive mediators of aggression in adolescent offenders: I. assessment. Developmental Psychology, 24(4), 580-588. DOI : 10.1037/0012-16184.108.40.2060 https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16220.127.116.110
- K. H. Trzesniewski, M. B. Donnellan, T. E. Moffitt, R. W. Robins, R. Poulton & A. Caspi. (2006). Low self-esteem during adolescence predicts poor health, criminal behavior, and limited economic prospects during adulthood. Developmental psychology, 42(2), 381-390. DOI : 10.1037/0012-1618.104.22.1681 https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1622.214.171.1241
- M. J. Seo & K. Y. Kim. (2010). Types of changes in overt aggression and their predictors in early adolescents: growth mixture modeling. Korean Journal of Child Studies, 31(4), 83-97.
- L. D. Eron. (1987). The development of aggressive behavior from the perspective of a developing behaviorism. American Psychologist, 42(5), 435-442. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.42.5.435
- Y. J. Chung & M. S. Yoo. (2012). Validation study of the korean adolescent's beliefs supporting aggression scale. Korean Journal of Psychology: General, 31(2), 399-417.
- M. Rosenberg. (1965). Society and the Adolescent Self-image, Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- B. J. Jeon. (1974). Self-esteem: A test of its measurability. Yonsei Nonchong, 11(1), 107-130.
- M. S. Ha & J. H. Kim. (2013) The validation of the Korean Peer Conflict Scale(K-PCS) for use with young adolescents. Studies on Korean Youth, 24(1), 71-101
- M. A. Marsee et al. (2011). Assessing the forms and functions of aggression using self-report: Factor structure and invariance of the Peer Conflict Scale in youths. Psychological Assessment, 23(3), 792-804. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0023369
- K. R. Lee. (2013). The mediating effects of emotional regulation ability on the influences of perceived marital conflict to aggression in child. Master's thesis. The Graduate School of Social Education Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- J. D. Coie & K. A. Dodge. (1998). Aggression and antisocial behavior. Hoboken : John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Y. H. Sin. (2018). The effect of peer relationship on reactive aggression : The mediating effect of social anxiety. Master's thesis. The Graduate School of Kookmin University, Seoul.
- J. E. Lansford et al. (2012). Boys' and girls' relational and physical aggression in nine countries. Aggressive Behavior, 38(4), 298-308. https://doi.org/10.1002/ab.21433
- D. K. Park & J. Y. Lee. (2010). Mediating effect of children's self-esteem between teacher's classroom control and aggression of elementary students'. Korean Journal of Play Therapy, 13(3), 55-73.