- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparing statistical data on 119 ambulance runs and ambulance crew in Korea and Japan
한국과 일본의 소방 구급 출동 및 구급인력 규모 비교 연구
- Baek, Hong-Seok (Department of Emergency Medical Technology, Daejeon University)
- 백홍석 (대전대학교 응급구조학과)
- Received : 2019.07.03
- Accepted : 2019.08.18
- Published : 2019.08.31
Purpose: This study aimed to compare and analyze statistical data on 119 ambulance runs and ambulance crew, which are the components of the emergency medical services system in Korea and Japan. Methods: Data from National Fire Agencies of both Korea and Japan were collected and statistically compared. Results: With regard to the ratio of 119 ambulance runs, Korea's ratio has been gradually and continuously growing beyond that of Japan (Korea 4708.11, Japan 4706.47) since 2014. The ratio of firefighting ambulances in Korea was 2.59 (
Firefighting;119 ambulance runs;Ambulance crews;Paramedics
- KOSIS. National statistics portal. Available at: http://kosis.kr/index/index.do, 2017
- Statistics Japan. population estimation. Available at:https://www.stat.go.jp/data/jinsui/2016np/index.html,2018.
- UN. World population prospects 2017 revision, 2017.
- OECD org. OECD stat.population data. 2018. Available at: https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=EDU_DEM
- Koh KH. Health, welfare, and challenges for data production in Korea: A perspective from international comparison. Health and Welfare Forum, 2018:7-20. http://repository.kihasa.re.kr/bitstream/201002/30113/1/2018.08%20No.262.02.pdf
- KOSIS. National statistics portal. Available at: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=101&tblId=DT_1B34E01&vw_cd=&list_id=&scrId=&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=E1, 2018.
- Baek HS. A Comparative analysis of 119 emergency medical service operation of Korea and Japan. J Korean Sor Emerg Med Tech 2004;8(1):199-210.
- American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP), Brennan J, Krohmer J. Principles of EMS Systems, 3rd edition, Massachusetts: Jones & Barlett Learning, 2005. 11-24.
- Aringhieri R, Bruni ME, Khodaparasti S, van Essen JT. Emergency medical services and beyond: Addressing new challenges through a wide literature review. Computers & Operations Research 2017;78:349-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2016.09.016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2016.09.016
- Belanger V, Ruiz A, Soriano P. Recent optimization models and trends in location, relocation, and dispatching of emergency medical vehicles. European J of Operation Research 2019;272(1):1-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2018.02.055 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2018.02.055
- Fischer AJ, O'Halloran P, Littlejohns P, Kennedy A, Butson G. Ambulance economics, J Public Health Med 2000;22(3):413-21. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/22.3.413
- Gruneir A, Silver MJ, Rochon PA. Review: Emergency department use by older adults: A literature review on trends, appropriateness, and consequences of unmet health care needs. Medical Care Research and Review 2010;68(2):131-55. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558710379422
- McArthur DP, Gregersen FA, Hagen TP. Modelling the cost of providing ambulance services. J of Transport Geography 2014;34:175-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2013.12.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2013.12.004
- National Fire Agency 119. emergency medial service statistical year book 2018. 1-290.
- Fire Disaster Management Agency, Japan. Annual report(White paper). Emergency services and implementation status. Available at: http://www.fdma.go.jp/publication/hakusho/h30/chapter2/section4/38607.html
- National Emergency Medical Center. Emergency Medical Statistics Annual, 2017.
- Emergency medical service act, Korea. Available at: http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=205637#0000
- Emergency life saving technician law, Japan. Available at: https://www.mod.go.jp/j/approach/agenda/meeting/kyumei/sonota/pdf/01/sanko_002.pdf#search=%
- Lee KY. Training and role of paramedics in Japan. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2014;18(2): 137-45. https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2014.18.2.137 https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2014.18.2.137
- Statistics Korea. Statistics by cause of death, Press Releases, 2017.
- Tanigawa K, Tanaka K, Emergency medical service systems in Japan. Resuscitation 2006;69(3):365-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2006.04.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2006.04.001
- Hankyoreh Newspaper. Korea entered the aging society. Available at: http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/economy/economy_general/859471.html#csidx11238f71d97b90d93abbc50f7a3d4f3
- O'Cathain A, Jacques R, Stone T, Turner J. Why do ambulance services have different non-transport rates? A national cross sectional study. PloS one 2018;13(9):e0204508 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0204508. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0204508
- Ebben RHA, Vloet LCM, Speijers RF, Tonjes NW, Loef J, Pelgrim T et al. A patient-safety and professional perspective on non-conveyance in ambulance care: a systematic review. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med 2017;25(1):71. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13049-017-0409-6 https://doi.org/10.1186/s13049-017-0409-6
- FDMA Maintenance guideline of firefighting power 2019.
- National fire agency regulations for local firefighting organization placement. 2019. http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=132643&efYd=20130222#0000, 2013
- Fire Prevention news Relocation of firefighting personnel standard. http://fpn119.co.kr/92994