- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A meta-analysis of the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder intervention programs on firefighters
소방공무원의 외상 후 스트레스 장애 중재 프로그램 효과에 관한 메타분석
- Kang, Min-Ju (Department of Emergency Medical Technology, Kyungil University)
- 강민주 (경일대학교 응급구조학과)
- Received : 2019.07.14
- Accepted : 2019.08.18
- Published : 2019.08.31
Purpose: This study aimed to identify the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder intervention programs on firefighters through a meta-analysis. Methods: Seven studies were selected for meta-analysis. The overall average effect size, effect sizes for each intervention variables, and publication bias were analyzed using Comprehensive Meta-Analysis(CMA) version 2.0 (Biostat, Englewood, NJ, USA). Results: Post-traumatic stress disorder intervention programs were found to have a very low, not statistically significant effect (effect size=-.171, confidence interval=-0.361~0.019, Z=-1.768, p>.05). However, these programs was less than 50 (effect size=-.622). Conclusion: The results of this study suggest that further research on the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder intervention among firefighters is needed in order to develop more effective programs.
- National Emergency Management Agency. 2014 National fire service personnel psychological assessment questionnaire analysis. 2014.
- Mo JM, Bae JY, Kwak MY, Kang SM, Kim MK, Bae CH. The development and effectiveness of an integrated management program for PTSD among firefighters. Crisisonomy 2017;13(7):17-33. https://doi.org/10.14251/crisisonomy.2017.13.7.17
- Hall RC, Gardner ER, Perl M, Stickney SK, Pfefferbaum B. The professional burnout syndrome. Psychiatr Opinion 1979;16(4):12-7.
- Mitchell JT, Everly GS Jr. Critical incident stress debriefing (CISD): an operations manual for the prevention of traumatic stress among emergency service and disaster workers. Journal of Traumatic Stress 1995;8(2):360-2. https://doi.org/10.1002/jts.2490080217 https://doi.org/10.1002/jts.2490080217
- National Emergency Management Agency. Analysis of post-traumatic stress of fire officials. 2008. Available at: https://hoy.kr/RYHZb
- Jo SD. The impact of physical and mental relaxation programs on the firefighter's mental health. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ajou University 2014, Suwon, Korea.
- Shim GS. Effects of short-term music therapy in fire fighters with post-traumatic stress risk. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Wonkwang University 2014, Iksan, Korea.
- Choi SA. A study on firefighter's post-traumatic stress, anxiety and K-HTP characteristic reaction. The Korean Journal of Arts Therapy 2013;13(1):251-69.
- Kim JJ. The effect of the mental health improvement program in firefighters. Unpublished master's thesis, Daegu Catholic University 2017, Daegu, Korea.
- Yool YS. The effects of mindfulness based body-psychological exercise program on the reduction of post-traumatic stress(PTSD) symptoms in fire officials. Korean Journal of Sport Psychology 2018;29(4):57-73. https://doi.org/10.14385/KSSP.29.3.57
- Goh EK, Kyun JY, Ha JM. The effects of stress reduction program for young children: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Korean Journal of Childcare and Education 2015;11(5):1-18. https://doi.org/10.14698/jkcce.2015.11.5.001 https://doi.org/10.14698/JKCCE.2015.11.5.001
- Muller K. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. Technometrics 1989;31(4):499-500. https://amstat.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00401706.1989.10488618?journalCode=utch20#.XV-ZlBt7mUk https://doi.org/10.1080/00401706.1989.10488618
- Hwang JW. Effects of post-traumatic stress intervention for disaster victims: meta-analysis. Unpublished master's thesis, Inje University, 2009, Gimhae, Korea.
- Brown RC, Witt A, Feqert JM, Keller F, Rassenhofer M, Plener PL. Psychosocial interventions for children and adolescents after man-made and natural disasters: a meta-analysis and systematic review. Psychol Med 2017;47(11):1893-905. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291717000496 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291717000496
- Newman E, Pfefferbaum B, Kirlic N, Tett R, Nelson S, Liles B. Meta-analytic review of psychological intervention for children survivors of natural and man-made disasters. Current Psychiatry Reports 2014;16(9):462. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-014-0462-z https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-014-0462-z
- Kim EH, Cheon SM, Kim SK. A meta-analysis of the group psychotherapy effect on depression. The Journal of Developmental Disabilities 2014;18(1):1-28.
- Kwon KI, Jo SY. A meta-analysis on the effects of adolescent stress group counseling programs in Korea. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy 2013;25(1):41-62.