- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Defining core competencies for 119 emergency medical technicians based on the analysis of requirements and priorities of the profession
119구급대원의 직업기초능력 요구도 및 우선순위 분석 기반 직무기초역량 제안 연구
- Hong, Sung-Gi (Department of Emergency Medical Technology, Dongnam Health University)
- 홍성기 (동남보건대학교 응급구조과)
- Received : 2019.06.10
- Accepted : 2019.08.18
- Published : 2019.08.31
Purpose: This study aimed to determine the core competencies for 119 emergency medical technicians (EMTs) and to provide evidence for the development and utilization of 119 EMTs, education and training programs. Methods: Data were collected with a questionnaire that consisted of items on the general characteristics of the subjects (8 items) and importance and satisfaction levels for 10 competencies, including 34 items on subfactors. The Borich Needs Assessment Model was used in designing the questionnaire. A locus for focus model was used to derive the top priority competencies for the improvement of core competency in the profession. Data were analyzed with by SPSS ver.21 (IBM, Armonk, NY, USA). Results: The core competencies for 119 EMTs were derived from technical competency, information competency, communication competency, problem-solving competency, self-development competency and interpersonal competency. In addition, among the sub-factors of these competencies, 16 abilities (including leadership), ability to apply technical knowledge, technical comprehension, conflict management ability, ability to create documents, problem handling ability, ability to think, technical selection ability, and computer literacy were included in the priority category. Conclusion: This study derived and presented the core competencies for 119 EMTs to enable them to meet the modern day requirements of their roles, which may contribute to enhancing their professionalism.
119 emergency medical technicians;Core competencies;Professionalism
Supported by : 동남보건대학교
- Gyeonggi-do fire service academy, Education and training programs in 2019, 71-6410556-000001-10
- Hong SG, Koh BY, Lee JE. Curriculum development and operation methods based on national competency standards (NCS) in the department of emergency medical technology. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2015;19(2):83-97. https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2015.19.2.083 https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2015.19.2.083
- Yang YK, Jung WH. A Study on the reorganization of the liberal arts curriculum, based on the NCS professional basic ability and the industry demand for liberal arts education- focusing on the case of D university. Korean J of General Education 2014;8(4):45-68.
- Jeon YU, Kim JM. Developing a core competency model for human resource development practitioners in corporate, The Journal of Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development 2005;(6):111-38.
- Kim S, Kwon YS, Shin JS. A study for promoting key competencies of college students. Corporation Management Research 2012;12(2):57-77.
- Hong SG, Koh BY, Kim ST. Program design of the education subject curriculum by the department of emergency medical technology based on National Competency Standards key competencies. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2016;20(3):37-47. https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2016.20.3.037
- Hong NH. Priority analysis of NCS based vocational core competency of dental hygienists in Gwangju. Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene 2016;16(3):337-46. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.03.337 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.03.337
- Lee OJ, Jung SH. Study on vocational core competency of optometrists. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc 2017:22(4):311-21. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2017.22.4.311 https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2017.22.4.311
- Chang YT, Tsai KC, Williams B. Development of new core competencies for Taiwanese emergency medical technicians. Adv Med Educ Pract 2018;9:147-58. https://doi.org/10.2147/AMEP.S153403 https://doi.org/10.2147/AMEP.S153403
- Lee JH, Lee KY. Study on disaster response competencies of 119 EMTs. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2018;22(3):55-66. https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2018.22.3.055
- Human Resources Development Service of Korea. National Competency Standards (NCS) key competencies. Available at: http://www.ncs.go.kr/ncs/page.do?sk=P1A4_PG09_005
- Borich GD. A needs assessment model for conducting follow-up studies. Journal of Teacher Education 1980;31(3):39-42. https://doi.org/10.1177/002248718003100310
- Yoon SH, Kwon SH, Kang SJ, Kim IH, Kim HJ, Jung SW et al. A need analysis of school administrator's competency for SMART education. Korean Journal of Teacher Education 2013;29(2):67-94. https://doi.org/10.14333/KJTE.2013.29.2.67 https://doi.org/10.14333/KJTE.2013.29.2.67
- Kim JY, Huh HY, Kim YM, Kim KS. Analysis on the awareness and the needs of technology teachers for SW education on secondary school. Korean Technology Education Association 2015;15(3):50-72.
- Mink OG, Shultz JM, Mink BP. Developing and managing open organizations: A model and method for maximizing organizational potential. Austin, TX: Somerset Consulting Group, Inc. 2 ed. 1991.
- Shane K, Walter C, Colum PD. A national study of continuous professional competence (CPC) amongst pre-hospital practitioners. BMC Health Serv Res 2015;15:532. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-015-1197-1 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-015-1197-1
- Walter T, Ron B, Becky D. Informing a Canadian paramedic profile: framing concepts, roles and crosscutting themes. BMC Health Serv Res 2016;16(1):477. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-016-1739-1 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-016-1739-1
- Boyatzis RE. Competencies in the 21st century. Journal of Management Development. 2008;27(1):5-12. https://doi.org/10.1108/02621710810840730 https://doi.org/10.1108/02621710810840730
- Yang SK. Vocational competency constituents affecting the professionalism of dental hygienists. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society 2015;16(10):6558-66. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6558 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6558
- Joo HJ. Liberal curriculum design methodology using NCS vocational basic skills. Korea Institute of General Education Conference Kit. 2014:373-82. http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE02509919
- Kim YS, Eo YS. The Effect of core competencies and cognition of job competency of their senior nurses on work performance in hospital nurses. Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2013;19(4):617-26. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.617 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.617
- Berkow S, Virkstis K, Stewart J, Conway L. Assessing new graduate nurse performance. Nurse Educator 2009;34(1):17-22. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.nne.0000343405.90362.15 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NNE.0000343405.90362.15