- Volume 35 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Application of Multi-periodic Harmonic Model for Classification of Multi-temporal Satellite Data: MODIS and GOCI Imagery
- Jung, Myunghee (Department of Software Engineering, Anyang University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Hoon (Department of Industrial & Business Engineering, Gachon University)
- Received : 2019.07.31
- Accepted : 2019.08.18
- Published : 2019.08.31
A multi-temporal approach using remotely sensed time series data obtained over multiple years is a very useful method for monitoring land covers and land-cover changes. While spectral-based methods at any particular time limits the application utility due to instability of the quality of data obtained at that time, the approach based on the temporal profile can produce more accurate results since data is analyzed from a long-term perspective rather than on one point in time. In this study, a multi-temporal approach applying a multi-periodic harmonic model is proposed for classification of remotely sensed data. A harmonic model characterizes the seasonal variation of a time series by four parameters: average level, frequency, phase, and amplitude. The availability of high-quality data is very important for multi-temporal analysis.An satellite image usually have many unobserved data and bad-quality data due to the influence of observation environment and sensing system, which impede the analysis and might possibly produce inaccurate results. Harmonic analysis is also very useful for real-time data reconstruction. Multi-periodic harmonic model is applied to the reconstructed data to classify land covers and monitor land-cover change by tracking the temporal profiles. The proposed method is tested with the MODIS and GOCI NDVI time series over the Korean Peninsula for 5 years from 2012 to 2016. The results show that the multi-periodic harmonic model has a great potential for classification of land-cover types and monitoring of land-cover changes through characterizing annual temporal dynamics.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Anderberg, M. R., 1973. Cluster Analysis for Application 1st Edition, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA.
- Bloomfield, P., 1976. Fourier Analysis of Time Series: An Introduction, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA.
- Bradley, B., R. Jacob, J. Hermance, and J. F. Mustard, 2007. A curve-fitting technique to derive inter-annual phonologies from time series of noisy NDVI satellite data, Remote Sensing of Environment, 106(2): 137-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2006.08.002
- Brims, J. and M.D. Nellis, 1991. Seasonal variation of heterogeneity in the tallgrass prairie: a quantitative measure using remote sensing, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 57(4): 407-411.
- Chappell, A., J.W. Seaquist, and L. Eklundh, 2001. Improving the estimation of noise from NOAA AVHRR NDVI for Africa using geostatistics, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 22(6): 1067-1080. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431160120633
- Davis, J.C., 1986. Statistics and Data Analysis in Geology, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA.
- Doran, H. E. and J. J. Quilkey, 1972, Harmonic Analysis of Seasonal Data: Some Important Properties, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 54(4): 646-651. https://doi.org/10.2307/1238542
- Eastman, J.R. and M. Fulk, 1993. Long sequence time series evaluation using standardized principal components, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 59(8): 1307-1312.
- Gu, J., X. Li, C. Huang, and G. S. Okin, 2009. Simplified data assimilation method for reconstructing time-series MODIS NDVI data, Advances in Space Research, 44(4): 501-509. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asr.2009.05.009
- Huete, A.R., K. Didan, and T. Miura, 2002. Overview of the radiometric and biophysical performance of the MODIS vegetation indices, Remote Sensing of Environment, 83(1-2): 195-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0034-4257(02)00096-2
- Jakubauskas, M. E., D. R. Legates, and J. H. Kastens, 2001. Harmonic Analysis of Time-Series AVHRR NDVI Data, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 67(4): 461-470.
- Jensen, J.R., 2009. Remote Sensing of the Environment: An Earth Resource Perspective, 2nd Edition, Pearson Education India, New Delhi, India, p. 613.
- Jonsson, P. and L. Eklundh, 2002. Seasonality extraction by function fitting to time series of satellite sensor data, IEEE Transactions of Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 40(8): 1824-1832.
- Jung, M. and E. Chang, 2015. NDVI-based land-cover change detection using harmonic analysis, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 36(4): 1097-1113.
- Lee, S.-H., 2001. Unsupervised image classification using spatial region growing segmentation and hierarchical clustering, Korean Journal of Remote Sensing, 17(1): 57-69 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lee, S.-H., 2002. Reconstruction and Change Analysis for Temporal Series of Remotely-sensed Data, Korean Journal of Remote Sensing, 18(2): 117-125 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lee, S.-H., 2003. Classification of Land Cover on Korean Peninsula Using Multi-temporal NOAA AVHRR Imagery, Korean Journal of Remote Sensing, 19(5): 381-392 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lee, S.-H., 2008. Adaptive Reconstruction of Harmonic Time Series Using Point-Jacobian Iteration MAP Estimation and Dynamic Compositing: Simulation Study, Korean Journal of Remote Sensing, 24(1): 79-89.
- Li, M., S. Zang, B. Zhang, S. Li, and C. Wu, 2014. A Review of Remote Sensing Image Classification Techniques: The Role of Spatio-contextual Information, European Journal of Remote Sensing, 47(1): 389-411. https://doi.org/10.5721/EuJRS20144723
- Lovell, J. and R. D. Graetz, 2002. Analysis of POLDER-ADEOS data for the Australian continent: The relationship between BRDF and vegetation structure, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 23(14): 2767-2796. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431160110106131
- Lu, D. and Q. Weng, 2007. A survey of image classification methods and techniques for improving classification performance, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 28(5): 823-870. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431160600746456
- Lunetta, R., J. Knight, J. Ediriwickrema, J. Lyon, and L. Worthy, 2006. Land-cover change detection using multi-temporal MODIS NDVI data, Remote Sensing of Environment, 105(2): 142-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2006.06.018
- Ma, M. and F. Veroustraete, 2006. Reconstructing pathfinder AVHRR land NDVI time-series data for the Northwest of China, Advances in Space Research, 37(4): 835-840. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asr.2005.08.037
- Mohn, E., N. L. Hjort, and G. O. Storvik, 1987. A Simulation study of some contextual classification methods for remotely sensed data, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, GE-25(6): 796-804. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.1987.289751
- Moody, E.G., M.D. King, and S. Platnick, 2005. Spatially complete global spectral surface albedos: value-added datasets derived from Terra MODIS land products, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 43(1): 144-158. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2004.838359
- Pettorellia, N., J. O. Vika, A. Mysteruda, J. Gaillardb, C. J. Tuckerc, and N.C. Stensetha, 2005. Using the satellite-derived NDVI to assess ecological responses to environmental change, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 20(9): 503-510. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2005.05.011
- Reed, B. C., 2006. Trend analysis of time-series phenology of North America derived from satellite data, GIScience & Remote Sensing, 43(1): 24-38. https://doi.org/10.2747/1548-1603.43.1.24
- Ryu, J., H. Han, S. Cho, Y. Park, and Y. Ahn, 2012. Overview of geostationary ocean color imager (GOCI) and GOCI data processing system (GDPS), Ocean Science Journal, 47(3): 223-233. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12601-012-0024-4
- Sakamoto, T., M. Yokozawa, H. Toritani, M. Shibayama, N. Ishitsuka, and H. Ohno, 2005. A crop phenology detection method using time-series MODIS data, Remote Sensing of Environment, 96: 366-374. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2005.03.008
- Samson, S.A., 1993. Two indices to characterize temporal patterns in the spectral response of vegetation, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 59(4): 511-517.
- Tanimoto, S. and A. Klinger, 1980. Structured Computer Vision 1st Edition, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA.
- Tarpley, J. D., S. R. Schneider, and R. L. Money, 1984. Global vegetation indices from the NOAA-7 meteorological satellite, Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology, 23(3): 491-494. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0450(1984)023<0491:GVIFTN>2.0.CO;2
- Tucker, C. J., N. B. Hoblen, J. H. Elgin Jr., and J. E. Mcmurtey III, 1990. Relationship of spectral data to grain yield variation, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 46(5): 657-666.
- Xiao, X.M., B. Zhang, and Q. Braswell, 2003. Sensitivity of vegetation indices to atmospheric aerosols: continental-scale observations in Northern Asia, Remote Sensing of Environment, 84(3): 385-392. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0034-4257(02)00129-3
- Zenzo, S. L., R. Bernstein, S. D. Degloria, and H. G. Kolsky, 1987. Gaussian maximum likelihood and contextual classification algorithms for multicrop classification, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, GE-25(6): 805-814. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.1987.289752