- Volume 35 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis on the Effect of Spectral Index Images on Improvement of Classification Accuracy of Landsat-8 OLI Image
- Magpantay, Abraham T. (College of Computer Studies, Far Eastern University Institute of Technology) ;
- Adao, Rossana T. (College of Computer Studies, Far Eastern University Institute of Technology) ;
- Bombasi, Joferson L. (College of Computer Studies, Far Eastern University Institute of Technology) ;
- Lagman, Ace C. (College of Computer Studies, Far Eastern University Institute of Technology) ;
- Malasaga, Elisa V. (College of Computer Studies, Far Eastern University Institute of Technology) ;
- Ye, Chul-Soo (Department of Aviation and IT Convergence, Far East University)
- Received : 2019.08.05
- Accepted : 2019.08.21
- Published : 2019.08.31
In this paper, we analyze the effect of the representative spectral indices, normalized difference vegetation index (NDVI), normalized difference water index (NDWI) and normalized difference built-up index (NDBI) on classification accuracies of Landsat-8 OLI image.After creating these spectral index images, we propose five methods to select the spectral index images as classification features together with Landsat-8 OLI bands from 1 to 7. From the experiments we observed that when the spectral index image of NDVI or NDWI is used as one of the classification features together with the Landsat-8 OLI bands from 1 to 7, we can obtain higher overall accuracy and kappa coefficient than the method using only Landsat-8 OLI 7 bands. In contrast, the classification method, which selected only NDBI as classification feature together with Landsat-8 OLI 7 bands did not show the improvement in classification accuracies.
- Feyisa, G. L., H. Meilby, R. Fensholt, and S. R. Proud, 2014. Automated water extraction index: a new technique for surface water mapping using Landsat imagery, Remote Sensing of Environment, 140: 23-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2013.08.029
- Gao, B.C., 1996. NDWI - normalized difference water index for remote sensing of vegetation liquid water from space, Remote Sensing of Environment, 58(3): 257-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0034-4257(96)00067-3
- Japitana, M.V., C. S. Ye, and M. E. C. Burce, 2019. Combining water indices to detect water bodies using Landsat 8 OLI, Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems, 25(5): 470-475. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2019.18.0220
- Mcfeeters, S.K., 1996. The use of normalized difference water index (NDWI) in the delineation of open water features, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 17(7): 1425-1432. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431169608948714
- Park, J.H., R. T. Adao, J. L. Bombasi, A.C. Lagman, and C. S. Ye, 2018. Improvement of classification accuracy using index image combination, Proc. of 2018 International Symposium on Remote Sensing, Pyeongchang, Korea, May 9-11, pp. 619-620.
- Rouse, J.W., R.H. Haas, J.A. Schell, and D.W. Deering, 1974. Monitoring vegetation systems in the Great Plains with ERTS, Proc. of Third Earth Resources Technology Satellite-1 Symposium, vol. 1, pp. 309-317.
- Thakkar, A., V. Desai, A. Patel, and M. Potdar, 2015. Land use/land cover classification using remote sensing data and derived indices in a heterogeneous landscape of a khan-kali watershed, Gujarat, Asian Journal of Geoinformatics, 14(4): 1-12.
- Xu, H., 2006. Modification of normalised difference water index (NDWI) to enhance open water features in remotely sensed imagery, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 27(14): 3025-3033. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431160600589179
- Ye, C. S., C. G. Moon, and J. H. Jeon, 2007. Stereo matching method using directional feature vector, Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems Engineering, 13(1): 52-57. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2007.13.1.052
- Ye, C.S., 2015. Extraction of water body in before and after images of flood using Mahalanobis distance-based spectral analysis, Korean Journal of Remote Sensing, 31(4): 293-302. https://doi.org/10.7780/kjrs.2015.31.4.2
- Zha, Y., J. Gao, and S. Ni, 2003. Use of normalized difference built-up index in automatically mapping urban areas from TM imagery, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 24(3): 583-594. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431160304987