- Volume 35 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Spectral Characteristics of Hydrothermal Alteration in Zuru, NW Nigeria
- Aisabokhae, Joseph (Department of Applied Geophysics, Federal University Birnin Kebbi) ;
- Tampul, Hamman (Department of Physics with Electronics, Federal University Birnin Kebbi)
- Received : 2019.07.29
- Accepted : 2019.08.12
- Published : 2019.08.31
This study demonstrated the ability of a Landsat-8 OLI multispectral data to identify and delineate hydrothermal alteration zones around auriferous prospects within the crystalline basement, North-western Nigeria. Remote sensing techniques have been widely used in lithological, structural discrimination and alteration rock delineation, and in general geological studies. Several artisanal mining activities for gold deposit occur in the surrounding areas within the basement complex and the search for new possible mineralized zones have heightened in recent times. Systematic Landsat-8 OLI data processing methods such as colour composite, band ratio and minimum noise fraction were used in this study. Colour composite of band 4, 3 and 2 was displayed in Red-Green-Blue colour image to distinguish lithologies. Band ratio
Supported by : Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND)
- Ahmed, S. and B. Amin, 2014. Lithological mapping and hydrothermal alteration using Landsat-8 data: a case study in Ariab mining district, red sea hills, Sudan, International Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 3(3): 199-208.
- Amin, P. and M. Hashim, 2014. ASTER, ALI and Hyperion sensor data for lithological mapping and ore minerals exploration, SpringerPlus, 3: 130. https://doi.org/10.1186/2193-1801-3-130
- Clark, R.N., G.A. Swayze, R. Wise, E. Livo, T. Hoefen, R. Kokaly, and S.J. Sutley, 2007. USGS digital spectral library: U.S. Geological Survey, Digital Data Series 231, http://speclab.cr.usgs.gov/spectral-lib.html, Accessed on Aug. 2015.
- Crosta, A. and C. De Souza Filho, 2009. Mineral exploration with Landsat Thematic Mapper (TM) / Enhanced Thematic Mapper plus (ETM+): A review of fundamentals, characteristics, data processing, and case studies, Review in Economic Geology, 16: 59-82.
- Environment Systems Research Institute (ESRI) ArcGIS 10.1; ESRI: Redlands, CA, USA, 2005.
- Green, A., M. Berman, P. Switzer, and M. Craig, 1988. A transformation for ordering multispectral data in terms of image quality with implications for noise removal, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 26(1): 65-74.
- Gupta, R.P., 2003. Remote Sensing Geology, 2nd edition, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, Germany.
- Hunt, G.R., 1997. Spectral signatures of particulate minerals in the visible and near infrared, Geophysics, 42: 501-513.
- Khalid, A. and H. Abdel, 2014. The use of Landsat-8 OLI Image for the delineation of Gossanic Ridges in the Red Sea Hills of NE Sudan, American Journal of Earth Sciences, 1(3): 62-67.
- Kogbe, C. A., 1979. Geology of the south eastern sector of the Iullemmeden Basin, Bulletin of Department of Geology, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, 2(1): 44-63.
- Kusky, T.M., H. Gary, and T. Robert, 2003. Supervised classifications of Landsat TM band ratio images and Landsat TM band ratio image with radar for geological interpretations of central Madagascar, Journal of African Earth Sciences, 37: 59-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-5362(03)00071-X
- Moradi, M., S. Basiri, A. Kananian, and K. Kabiri, 2015. Fuzzy logic modeling for hydrothermal gold mineralization mapping using geochemical, geological, ASTER imageries and other geodata, a case study in Central Alborz, Iran, Earth Science Information, 8: 197-205.
- Odeyemi, I.B., 1981. A review of orogenic events in the Precambrian basement of Nigeria, West Africa, Geologische Rundschau, 70(3): 897-909. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01820170
- Pirajno, F., 1992. Hydrothermal Mineral Deposits, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, Germany, pp. 101-155.
- Rajesh, H.M., 2004. Application of remote sensing and GIS in mineral resource mapping-An overview, Journal of Mineralogy and Petrologic Science, 99: 83-103. https://doi.org/10.2465/jmps.99.83
- Ramadan, T.M. and F. A. Mohammed, 2010. Characterization of gold mineralization in Garin Hawal area, Kebbi State, NW Nigeria, using remote sensing, The Egyptian Journal of Remote Sensing and Space Sciences, 13: 153-163.
- Rockwell, B. and A.H. Hofstra, 2008. Identification of quartz and carbonate minerals across northern Nevada using ASTER thermal infrared emissivity data Implications for geologic mapping and mineral resource investigations in well-studied and frontier areas, Geosphere, 4(1): 218-246. https://doi.org/10.1130/GES00126.1
- Rose, A.W. and D.M. Burt, 1979. Hydrothermal alteration, In: Barnes, H. L. (ed.), Geochemistry of hydrothermal ore deposits, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA.
- Sabins, F., 1999. Remote sensing for mineral exploration, Ore Geology Review, 14: 157-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-1368(99)00007-4
- Wright, J.B., 1985. Geology and mineral resources of West Africa, George Allen and Unwin, London, UK.