- Volume 35 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Glacier Change in the Yigong Zangbo Basin, Tibetan Plateau, China
- Ke, Chang-Qing (School of Geography and Ocean Science, Nanjing University) ;
- Lee, Hoonyol (Department of Geophysics, Kangwon National University) ;
- Han, Yan-Fei (School of Geography and Ocean Science, Nanjing University)
- Received : 2019.04.02
- Accepted : 2019.05.21
- Published : 2019.08.31
Distinguishing debris-covered glaciers from debris-free glaciers is difficult when using only optical remote sensing images to extract glacier boundaries.According to the features that the surface temperature of debris-covered glacier is lower than surrounding objects, and higher than clean glaciers, glacial changes in the Yigong Zangbo basin was analyzed on the basis of visible, near-infrared and thermal-infrared band images of Landsat TM and OLI/TIRS in the support of ancillary digital elevation model (DEM). The results indicated that glacier area gradually declined from
Thermal Infrared Remote Sensing;Debris-covered Glacier;Moraine Lake;Air Temperature Rise;Yigong Zangbo Basin
Supported by : National Nature Science Foundation of China
- Azam, M.F., P. Wagnon, E. Berthier, C. Vincent, K. Fujita, and J.S. Kargel, 2018. Review of the status and mass changes of Himalayan-Karakoram glaciers, Journal of Glaciology, 64(243): 61-74. https://doi.org/10.1017/jog.2017.86
- Bhambri, R., T. Bolch, and R.K. Chaujar, 2011. Mapping of debris-covered glaciers in the Garhwal Himalayas using ASTER DEMs and thermal data, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 32(23): 8095-8119. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431161.2010.532821
- Brenning, A, M.A. Pena, S. Long, and A. Soliman, 2012. Thermal remote sensing of ice-debris landforms using ASTER: an example from the Chilean Andes, The Cryosphere, 6(2): 367-382. https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-6-367-2012
- Brun, F., E. Berthier, P. Wagnon, A. Kaab, and D. Treichler, 2017. A spatially resolved estimate of High Mountain Asia glacier mass balances from 2000 to 2016, Nature Geoscience, 10(9): 668-674. https://doi.org/10.1038/ngeo2999
- Che, T., L. Xiao, and Y.A. Liu, 2014. Changes in glaciers and glacial lakes and the identification of dangerous glacial lakes in the Pumqu River basin, Xizang (Tibet), Advances in Meteorology, 2014: 1-8.
- Collier, E., F. Maussion, L.I. Nicholson, T. Molg, W.W. Immerzeel, and A.B.G. Bush, 2015. Impact of debris cover on glacier ablation and atmosphere-glacier feedbacks in the Karakoram, The Cryosphere, 9: 1617-1632. https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-9-1617-2015
- Huang, L., Z. Li, H. Han, B.S. Tian, and J.M. Zhou, 2018. Analysis of thickness changes and the associated driving factors on a debriscovered glacier in the Tienshan Mountain, Remote Sensing of Environment, 206: 63-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2017.12.028
- Huang, W., L.P. Zhang, and P.X. Li, 2005. An improved topographic correction approach for satellite image, Journal of Image and Graphics, 10: 1124-1128 (in Chinese).
- Karimi, N., A. Farokhnia, L. Karimi, M. Eftekhari, and H. Ghalkhani, 2012. Combining optical and thermal remote sensing data for mapping debris-covered glaciers (Alamkouh Glaciers, Iran), Cold Regions Science and Technology, 71: 73-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coldregions.2011.10.004
- Ke, C.Q., C. Kou, R. Ludwig, and X. Qin, 2013. Glacier velocity measurements in the eastern Yigong Zangbo basin, Tibet, China, Journal of Glaciology, 59(218): 1060-1068. https://doi.org/10.3189/2013JoG12J234
- Lambrecht, A., C. Mayer, W. Hagg, V. Popovnin, and A. Rezepkin, 2011. A comparison of glacier melt on debris-covered glaciers in the northern and southern Caucasus, The Cryosphere, 5: 525-538. https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-5-525-2011
- Li, B., X. Li, and X.Z. Chen, 1999. The design of the management system of Chinese Glacier Inventory, Journal of Glaciology and Geocryology, 21: 77-80 (in Chinese).
- Liu, C.H., Y.F. Shi, Z.T. Wang, and Z.C. Xie, 2000. Glacier resources and their distributive characteristics in China-A review on Chinese glacier inventory, Acta Geographica Sinica, 22: 106-112.
- Harrison, S., J.S. Kargel, C. Huggel, J. Reynolds, D.H. Shugar, R.A. Betts, A. Emmer, N. Glasser, U.K. Haritashya, J. Klimes, L. Reinhardt, Y. Schaub, A. Wiltshire, D. Regmi, and V. Vilimek, 2018. Climate change and the global pattern of moraine-dammed glacial lake outburst floods, The Cryosphere, 12: 1195-1209.
- Liu, S., D.H. Shangguan, Y.J. Ding, H.D. Han, and Y. Zhang, 2005. Glacier variations since the early 20th century in the Gangrigabu Range, Southeast Tibetan Plateau, Journal of Glaciology and Geocryology, 27(1): 55-63 (in Chinese). https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1000-0240.2005.01.008
- Liu, S.Y., N.L.Wang, Y.J. Ding, and Z.C. Xie, 1999. On the characteristics of glacier fluctuation during the last 30 years in Urumqi River Basin and the estimation of temperature rise in the high mountain area, Advances in Earth Science, 14: 279-285 (in Chinese).
- Paul, F., C. Huggel, and A. Kaab, 2004. Combining satellite multispectral image data and a digital elevation model for mapping debris-covered glaciers, Remote Sensing of Environment, 89(4): 510-518. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2003.11.007
- Scherler, D., H. Wulf, and N. Gorelick, 2018. Global assessment of supraglacial debris-cover extents, Geophysical Research Letters, 45(21): 11798-11805.
- Shangguan, D.H., S.Y. Liu, Y.J. Ding, L.F. Ding, and G. Li, 2004. Glacier changes at the head of Yurungkax River in the west Kunlun Mountains in the past 32 years, Acta Geographica Sinica, 59(6): 855-862. https://doi.org/10.3321/j.issn:0375-5444.2004.06.007
- Shi, Y.F. and S.Y. Liu, 2000. Estimation on the response of glaciers in China to the global warming in the 21st century, Chinese Science Bulletin, 45(7): 668-672.
- Shukla, A., M.K. Arora, and R.P. Gupta, 2010. Synergistic approach for mapping debris-covered glaciers using optical-thermal remote sensing data with inputs from geomorphometric parameters, Remote Sensing of Environment, 114(7): 1378-1387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2010.01.015
- Veh, G., O. Korup, S. Roessner, and A. Walz, 2018. Detecting Himalayan glacial lake outburst floods from Landsat time series, Remote Sensing of Environment, 207: 84-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2017.12.025
- Vincent, C., P. Wagnon, J.M. Shea, W.W. Immerzeel, P. Kraaijenbrink, D. Shrestha, A. Soruco, Y. Arnaud, F. Brun, E. Berthier, and S.F. Sherpa, 2016. Reduced melt on debris-covered glaciers: investigations from Changri Nup Glacier, Nepal, The Cryosphere, 10: 1845-1858. https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-10-1845-2016
- Xu, J.L., S.Y. Liu, S.Q. Zhang, W.Q. Guo, and J. Wang, 2013. Recent changes in glacial area and volume on Tuanjiefeng peak region of Qilian Mountains, China, PLOS ONE, 8(8): e70574. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0070574
- Yan, L.L. and J. Wang, 2013. Study of extracting glacier information from remote sensing, Journal of Glaciology and Geocryology, 35(1): 110-118 (in Chinese).
- Yao, T.D., Z.G. Li, W. Yang, X.J. Guo, and L.P. Zhu, 2010. Glacial distribution and mass balance in the Yarlung Zangbo River and its influence on lakes, Chinese Science Bulletin, 55(20): 2072-2078. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11434-010-3213-5
- Yao, T.D., L. Thompson, W. Yang, W.S. Yu, and Y. Gao, 2012. Different glacier status with atmospheric circulations in Tibetan Plateau and surroundings, Nature Climate Change, 2(9): 663-667. https://doi.org/10.1038/nclimate1580
- Zhou,Y., Z. Li,, J. Li, R. Zhao, and X. Ding, 2018. Glacier mass balance in the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and its surroundings from the mid-1970s to 2000 based on Hexagon KH-9 and SRTM DEMs, Remote Sensing of Environment, 210: 96-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2018.03.020