- Volume 61 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A study on comparative feeding value of corn flakes according to temperature and retention time in the pressurized steam chamber
- Ahn, Jun Sang (Hanwoo Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Shin, Jung Suh (Dept. of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Min Ji (Dept. of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Son, Gi Hwal (Dept. of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kwon, Eung Gi (Hanwoo Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Shim, Jae Yoon (Dept. of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Il Young (Dept. of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Cho, Sung Myoun (Dept. of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Cho, Sang Rae (Hanwoo Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Park, Byung Ki (Nonghyup Feed Co., Ltd.)
- Received : 2019.04.25
- Accepted : 2019.05.13
- Published : 2019.05.31
This study aimed to investigate the effects of temperature and retention time of the pressurized steam chamber on the ruminal fermentation characteristics and nutrient degradability of corn flakes in three Korean native Hanwoo cows and three Holstein cows implanted with a ruminal fistula. Corn kernels were categorized into 13 groups based on the chamber temperature (range,
Pressurized steam chamber;Temperature;Retention time;Corn flake;Rumen;Degradability
Supported by : National Institute of Animal Science
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs [MAFRA]. Agriculture food and rural affairs statistics yearbook. Sejong, Korea: MAFRA; 2017.
- Cardozo PW, Calsamiglia S, Ferret A, Kamel C. Screening for the effects of natural plant extracts at different pH on in vitro rumen microbial fermentation of a high-concentrate diet for beef cattle. J Anim Sci. 2005;83:2572-9. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.83112572x
- Zinn RA, Owens FN, Ware RA. Flaking corn: processing mechanics, quality standards, and impacts on energy availability and performance of feedlot cattle. J Anim Sci. 2002;80:1145-56. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.8051145x
- Pethick DW, Harper GS, Oddy VH. Growth, development and nutritional manipulation of marbling in cattle: a review. Aust J Exp Agric. 2004;44:705-15. https://doi.org/10.1071/EA02165
- Kokic BM, Levic JD, Chrenkova M, Formelova Z, Polacikova M, Rajsky M, et al. Influence of thermal treatments on starch gelatinization and in vitro organic matter digestibility of corn. Food Feed Res. 2013;40:93-9.
- Qiao FQ, Wang F, Ren LP, Zhou ZM, Meng QX, Bao YH. Effect of steam-flaking on chemical compositions, starch gelatinization, in vitro fermentability, and energetic values of maize, wheat and rice. J Int Agric. 2015;14:949-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2095-3119(14)60913-8
- Domby EM, Anele UY, Gautam KK, Hergenreder JE, Pepper- Yowell AR, Galyean ML. Interactive effects of bulk density of steam-flaked corn and concentration of Sweet Bran on feedlot cattle performance, carcass characteristics, and apparent total tract nutrient digestibility. J Anim Sci. 2014;92:1133-43. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-7038
- Plascencia A, Zinn RA. Influence of flake density on the feeding value of steam-processed corn in diets for lactating cows. J Anim Sci. 1996;74:310-6. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.742310x
- Schwandt EF. Grain processing considerations influencing starch digestion and performance of feedlot cattle [Ph.D. dissertation]. Manhattan, KS: Kansas State University; 2015.
- Zinn RA. Influence of steaming time on site of digestion of flaked corn in steers. J Anim Sci. 1990;68:776-81. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.683776x
- Bahrani SA, Loisel C, Rezzoug SA, Doublier JL, Maache-Rezzoug Z. Role of vacuum steps added before and after steaming treatment of maize starch. Impact on pasting, morphological and rheological properties. Carbohydr Polym. 2012;89:810-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2012.04.015
- Liu H, Yu L, Dean K, Simon G, Petinakis E, Chen L. Starch gelatinization under pressure studied by high pressure DSC. Carbohydr Polym. 2009;75:395-400. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2008.07.034
- Douzals JP, Perrier-Cornet JM, Coquille JC, Gervais P. Pressure-temperature phase transition diagram for wheat starch. J Agric Food Chem. 2001;49:873-6. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf000497w
- Ahn JS. Study on optimal processing condition of the pressurized steam chamber and feed value evaluation for quality improvement of corn flaked [Ph.D. dissertation]. Chuncheon, Korea: Kangwon National University; 2017.
- McDougall EI. Studies on ruminant saliva. 1. The composition and output of sheep's saliva. Biochem J. 1948;43:99-109. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj0430099
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists [AOAC]. Official methods of analysis. 16th ed. Washington, DC: Association of Official Analytical Chemists; 1995.
- Van Soest PJ, Robertson JB, Lewis BA. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J Dairy Sci. 1991;74:3583-97. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs [MAFRA]. Feed standard analysis method. Sejong: MAFRA; 2015. p. 310-1.
- Murphy TA, Fluharty FL, Loerch SC. The influence of intake level and corn processing on digestibility and ruminal metabolism in steers fed all-concentrate diets. J Anim Sci. 1994;72:1608-15. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.7261608x
- Walker JA, Harmon DL. Influence of ruminal or abomasal starch hydrolysate infusion on pancreatic exocrine secretion and blood glucose and insulin concentrations in steers. J Anim Sci. 1995;73:3766-74. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73123766x
- Ratnayake WS, Jackson DS. Gelatinization and solubility of corn starch during heating in excess water: new insights. J Agric Food Chem. 2006;54:3712-6. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0529114
- Keles G, Demirci U. The effect of homofermentative and heterofermentative lactic acid bacteria on conservation characteristics of baled triticale-Hungarian vetch silage and lamb performance. Anim Feed Sci Technol. 2011;164:21-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2010.11.017
- Nishino N, Wada H, Yoshida M, Shiota H. Microbial counts, fermentation products, and aerobic stability of whole crop corn and a total mixed ration ensiled with and without inoculation of Lactobacillus casei or Lactobacillus buchneri. J Dairy Sci. 2004;87:2563-70. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73381-0
- Firkins JL, Eastridge ML, St-Pierre NR, Noftsger SM. Effects of grain variability and processing on starch utilization by lactating dairy cattle. J Anim Sci. 2001;79:218-38. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas2001.79E-SupplE218x
- May ML, Quinn MJ, Reinhardt CD, Murray L, Gibson ML, Karges KK, et al. Effects of dry-rolled or steam-flaked corn finishing diets with or without twenty-five percent dried distillers grains on ruminal fermentation and apparent total tract digestion. J Anim Sci. 2009;87:3630-8. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-0857
- Shen JS, Song LJ, Sun HZ, Wang B, Chai Z, Chacher B, et al. Effects of corn and soybean meal types on rumen fermentation, nitrogen metabolism and productivity in dairy cows. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci. 2015;28:351-9. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.14.0504
- Ferraretto LF, Crump PM, Shaver RD. Effect of cereal grain type and corn grain harvesting and processing methods on intake, digestion, and milk production by dairy cows through a meta-analysis. J Dairy Sci. 2013;96:533-50. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5932
- Bach A, Calsamiglia S, Stern MD. Nitrogen metabolism in the rumen. J Dairy Sci. 2005;88:9-21. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)73133-7
- Xin HS, Schaefer DM, Liu QP, Axe DE, Meng QX. Effects of polyurethane coated urea supplement on in vitro ruminal fermentation, ammonia release dynamics and lactating performance of Holstein dairy cows fed a steam-flaked corn-based diet. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci. 2010;23:491-500. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90153
- Baldwin RL, Wood WA, Emery RS. Conversion of lactate-C14 to propionate by the rumen microflora. J Bacteriol. 1962;83:907-13.
- Slade L, Levine H. Water relationships in starch transitions. Carbohydr Polym. 1993;21:105-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/0144-8617(93)90006-P
- Yang Z. Properties of retrograded RS3 prepared from various rice starches [Master thesis]. Gwangju, Korea: Chonnam National University; 2008.
- Dundar AN, Gocmen D. Effects of autoclaving temperature and storing time on resistant starch formation and its functional and physicochemical properties. Carbohydr Polym. 2013;97:764-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2013.04.083
- Lee SK, Mun SH, Shin MS. Enzyme-resistant starch formation from mild acid-treated maize starches. Korea J Food Sci Technol. 1997;29:1309-15.
- Niba LL. Processing effects on susceptibility of starch to digestion in some dietary starch sources. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2003;54:97-109. https://doi.org/10.1080/0963748031000042038
- Vicente B, Valencia DG, Perez-Serrano M, Lazaro R, Mateos GG. The effects of feeding rice in substitution of corn and the degree of starch gelatinization of rice on the digestibility of dietary components and productive performance of young pigs. J Anim Sci. 2008;86:119-26. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-697
- Meyer LH. Food chemistry. New York, Reinhold Pub. Corp; 1960. p. 75-9.
- Biliaderis CG, Page CM, Maurice TJ, Juliano BO. Thermal characterization of rice starches: a polymeric approach to phase transitions of granular starch. J Agric Food Chem. 1986;34:6-14. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00067a002
- Lee YT, Seog HM, Kim SS, Hong HD, Kim KT. Functional characteristics of job's-tears flakes subjected to varying degree of heating. Korea J Food Sci Technol. 1995;27:640-5.
- Hayashi R, Hayashida A. A new approach of food preservation. J Agric Chem Soc. 1989;63:330-55.
- Muhr AH, Wetton RE, Blanshard JMV. Effect of hydrostatic pressure on starch gelatinisation, as determined by DTA. Carbohydr Polym. 1982;2:91-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/0144-8617(82)90055-8
- Son BY, Kim JT, Lee JS, Baek SB, Kim SL, Ku JH, et al. Chemical composition of seed from inbred lines and hybrids of maize recently developed in Korea. Korean J Crop Sci. 2012;57:188-94. https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2012.57.2.188
- Fiems LO, Cottyn BG, Boucque CV, Vanacker JM, Buysse FX. Effect of grain processing on in sacco digestibility and degradability in the rumen. Arch Tierernahr. 1990;40:713-21. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450399009428420
- Focant M, Van Hoecke A, Vanbelle M. Influence of steam flaking wheat on rumen fermentations and duodenal nitrogen and amino acid flows in heifers. Anim Feed Sci Technol. 1990;30:69-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(90)90052-A
- Hungate RE. The rumen and its microbes. New York, NY: Academic Press; 1966.