- Volume 61 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of dietary energy and protein levels on reproductive performance in gestating sows and growth of their progeny
- Fang, Lin Hu (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Jin, Ying Hai (Department of Animal Science, Yanbian University) ;
- Jeong, Jae Hark (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Hong, Jin Su (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Chung, Woo Lim (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Yoo Yong (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, and Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2019.04.08
- Accepted : 2019.05.01
- Published : 2019.05.31
This experiment was conducted to evaluate the effect of dietary energy and crude protein (CP) levels on reproductive performance, litter performance, milk quality, and blood profiles in gestating sows. A total of 59 multiparous sows (Yorkshire
Energy;Crude protein;Reproductive performance;Litter performance;Blood profiles;Gestating sows
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Kraeling RR, Webel SK. 2015. Current strategies for reproductive management of gilts and sows in North America. J Anim Sci Biotech. 2015;6:3. https://doi.org/10.1186/2049-1891-6-3
- AHDB Pork. 2015. The BPEX yearbook 2014-2015. https://pork.ahdb.org.uk/media/73777/bpex-yearbook-2015.pdf. Accessed 21 Sep 2018.
- Choe JH, Yang HS, Lee SH, Go GW. Characteristics of pork belly consumption in South Korea and their health implication. J Anim Sci Technol. 2015;57:22. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-015-0057-1
- Boyd RD, Touchette KJ, Castro GC, Johnston ME, Lee KU, Han IK. Recent advances in amino acid and energy nutrition of prolific sows. Asian-Aust J Anim Sci. 2000;13:1638-52. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.1638
- Ji F, Wu G, Blanton JR Jr, Kim SW. Changes in weight and composition in various tissues of pregnant gilts and their nutritional implications. J Anim Sci. 2005;83:366-75. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.832366x
- Committee on Nutrient Requirements of Swine, National Research Council. Nutrient requirements of swine. 10th ed. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1998.
- Trottier NL, Johnston LJ. Feeding gilts during development and sows during gestation and lactation. In: Lewis AJ, Southern LL, editors. Swine nutrition. 2nd ed. New York, NY: CRC Press; 2001. p. 725-69.
- Cerisuelo A, Baucells MD, Gasa J, Coma J, Carrion D, Chapinal N, et al. Increased sow nutrition during midgestation affects muscle fiber development and meat quality, with no consequences on growth performance. J Anim Sci. 2009;87:729-39. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0677
- Revell DK, Williams IH, Mullan BP, Ranford JL, Smits RJ. Body composition at farrowing and nutrition during lactation affect the performance of primiparous sows: I. Voluntary feed intake, weight loss, and plasma metabolites. J Anim Sci. 1998;76:1729-37. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7671729x
- Messias de Braganca M, Mounier AM, Prunier A. Does feed restriction mimic the effects of increased ambient temperature in lactating sows. J Anim Sci. 1998;76:2017-24. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7682017x
- Kim SW, Hurley WL, Wu G, Ji F. Ideal amino acid balance for sows during gestation and lactation. J Anim Sci. 2009;87:E123-32. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1452
- Pettigrew JE, Yang H. Protein nutrition of gestating sows. J Anim Sci. 1997;75:2723-30. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.75102723x
- Jang YD, Jang SK, Kim DH, Oh HK, Kim YY. Effects of dietary protein levels for gestating gilts on reproductive performance, blood metabolites and milk composition. Asian-Aust J Anim Sci. 2014;27:83-92. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13369
- Kusina J, Pettigrew JE, Sower AF, White ME, Crooker BA, Hathaway MR. Effect of protein intake during gestation and lactation on lactational performance of the primiparous sow. J Anim Sci. 1999;77:931-41. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.774931x
- Head RH, Williams IH. Mammogenesis is influenced by the nutrition of gilts during pregnancy. In: Manipulating pig production III. Batterham ES, editor. Aust Pig Sci Assoc; 1991. p. 33.
- Svajgr AJ, Hammell DL, DeGetter MJ, Hays VW, Cromwell GL, Dutt RH. Reproductive performance of sows on a protein-restricted diet. J Reprod Fert. 1972;30:455-8. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0300455
- Baker DH, Becker DE, Jensen AH, Harman BG. Reproductive performance and progeny development in swine as influenced by protein restriction during various portions of gestation. J Anim Sci. 1970;31:526-30. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1970.313526x
- Kusina J, Pettigrew JE, Sower AF, White ME, Crooker BA, Hathaway MR. Effect of protein intake during gestation and lactation on the lactational performance of primiparous sows. J Anim Sci. 1999;77:931-41. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.774931x
- Long HF, Ju WS, Piao LG, Kim YY. Effect of dietary energy levels of gestating sows on physiological parameters and reproductive performance. Asian-Aust J Anim Sci. 2010;23:1080-8. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.10053
- Dourmad JY. Effect of feeding level in the gilt during pregnancy on voluntary feed intake during lactation and changes in body composition during gestation and lactation. Livest Prod Sci. 1991;27:309-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(91)90126-B
- Averette GL, See MT, Hansen JA, Sutton D, Odle J. The effects of dietary fat sources, levels, and feeding intervals on pork fatty acid composition. J Anim Sci. 2002;80:1606-15. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.8061606x
- Mahan DC. Relationship of gestation protein and feed intake level over a five-parity period using a high-producing sow genotype. J Anim Sci. 1998;76:533-41. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.762533x
- King RH, Williams HI. The effects of nutrition on the reproductive performance of first litter sows 2. Protein and energy intakes during lactation. Anim Sci. 1984;38:249-56. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100002245
- Baidoo SK, Aherne FX, Kirkwood RN, Foxcroft GR. Effect of feed intake during lactation and after weaning on sow reproductive performance. Can J Anim Sci. 1992;72:911-7. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas92-103
- Foxcroft GR, Aherne FX, Clowes EC, Miller H, Zak LJ. Sow fertility: the role of suckling inhibition and metabolic status. In: Ivan M, editor. Animal science research and development: moving toward a new century. Ottawa, ON: Centre for Food and Animal Research; 1995. p. 377-93.
- Frobish LT, Steele NC, Davey RJ. Long term effect of energy intake on reproductive performance of swine. J Anim Sci. 1973;36:293-7. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1973.362293x
- Committee on Nutrient Requirements of Swine, National Research Council. Nutrient requirements of swine. 11th ed. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2012.
- Klobasa F, Werhahn E, Butler JE. Composition of sow milk during lactation. J Anim Sci. 1987;64:1458-66. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.6451458x
- Devillers N, van Milgen J, Prunier A, Le Dividich J. Estimation of colostrum intake in the neonatal pig. Anim Sci. 2004;78:305-13. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800054096
- Rooke JA, Sinclair AG, Edwards SA, Cordoba R, Pkiyach S, Penny PC, et al. The effect of feeding salmon oil to sows throughout pregnancy on pre-weaning mortality of piglets. Anim Sci. 2016;73:489-500.
- Elliott RF, Vander Noot GW, Gilbreath RL, Fisher H. Effect of dietary protein level on composition changes in sow colostrum and milk. J Anim Sci. 1971;32:1128-37. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1971.3261128x
- Cozler YL, David C, Beaumal V, Johansen S, Dourmad JY. Eﬀect of the feeding level during rearing on performance of large white gilts. Part 2: eﬀect on metabolite profiles during gestation and lactation, and on glucose tolerance. Reprod Nutr Dev. 1998;38:377-90. https://doi.org/10.1051/rnd:19980403
- Wu G, Morris SM Jr. Arginine metabolism: Nitric oxide and beyond. Biochem J. 1998;336:1-17. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj3360001
- Fuller MF, Weekes TEC, Cadenhead A, Bruce JB. The protein-sparing effect of carbohydrate. 2. The role of insulin. Br J Nutr. 1977;38:489-96. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19770114
- Whang KY, Easter RA. Blood urea nitrogen as an index of feed efficiency and lean growth potential in growing-finishing swine. Asian-Aust J Anim Sci. 2000;13:811-6. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.811