- Volume 61 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Slaughter practices of different faiths in different countries
- Aghwan, Zeiad Amjad (Halalan Thayyiban Research Centre, Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali) ;
- Regenstein, Joe Mac (Department of Food Science, Cornell University)
- Received : 2018.12.26
- Accepted : 2019.05.15
- Published : 2019.05.31
This paper reviews many aspects of ritual and traditional slaughter methods used to produce meat for human consumption in different countries. Undoubtedly, meat is an important source of nutrients that are essential for human health. The global meat market has become increasingly interested in Islamic halal and Jewish kosher slaughter, in particular because of potential market opportunities. The requirement for unstunned slaughter or reversible pre-slaughter stunning makes religiously-based methods of animal slaughter unique. This study suggests a simple framework for a halal and tayyib meat supply chain for the Muslim community that also maintains meat quality and wholesomeness from farm to table as a model for the religious slaughter of animals.
Halal;Jhatka;Kosher;Non-stunned slaughter;Reversible stunning
- Toussaint-Samat M. A history of food. 2nd ed. West sussex, UK: John Wiley & Sons; 2008.
- Regenstein JM, Grandin, T. Religious slaughter and animal welfare- an introduction for animal scientists. Proceedings of the 45th Annual Reciprocal Meat Conference. 1992. p. 155-9.
- Clottey SJA. Manual for the slaughter of small ruminants in developing countries. 1985. http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/X6552E/X6552E00.HTM. Accessed 23 May 2018.
- Farouk MM, Al-Mazeedi HM, Sabow AB, Bekhit AE, Adeyemi KD, Sazili AQ, et al. Halal and kosher slaughter methods and meat quality: a review. Meat Sci. 2014;98:505-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.05.021
- Regenstein JM, Chaudry MM, Regenstein CE. The kosher and halal food laws. Compr Rev Food Sci Food saf. 2003;2:111-27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2003.tb00018.x
- Nakyinsige K, Man YBC, Aghwan ZA, Zulkifli I, Goh YM, Bakar FA, et al. Stunning and animal welfare from Islamic and scientific perspectives. Meat Sci. 2013;95:352-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.04.006
- Khalid R, Knowles TG, Wotton SB. A comparison of blood loss during the halal slaughter of lambs following traditional religious slaughter without stunning, electric head-only stunning and post-cut electric head-only stunning. Meat Sci. 2015;110:15-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2015.06.008
- Nakyinsige K, Fatimah AB, Aghwan ZA, Zulkifli I, Goh YM, Sazili AQ. Bleeding efficiency and meat oxidative stability and microbiological quality of New Zealand white rabbits subjected to halal slaughter without stunning and gas stun-killing. Asian Australas J Anim Sci. 2014;27:406-13. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13437
- Small AH, McLean D, Owen JS, Ralph JH. Electromagnetic induction of insensibility in animals: a review. Anim Welf. 2013;22:287-90. https://doi.org/10.7120/096272220.127.116.117
- India curry: what is Jhatka? http://www.indiacurry.com/faqterms/whatisjhatka.htm. 2015. Accessed 13 Jul 2018.
- De Smet S. Meat, poultry, and fish composition: strategies for optimizing human intake of essential nutrients. Anim Frontiers. 2012;2:10-6.
- Aghwan ZA, Sazili AQ, Kadhum KK, Alimon AR, Goh YM, Adeyemi KD. Effects of dietary supplementation of selenium and iodine on growth performance, carcass characteristics and histology of thyroid gland in goats. Anim Sci J. 2016;87:690-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12484
- Leheska JM, Thompson LD, Howe JC, Hentges E, Boyce J, Brooks JC, et al. Effects of conventional and grass-feeding systems on the nutrient composition of beef. J Anim Sci. 2008;86:3575-85. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0565
- Pena F, Bonvillani A, Freire B, Juarez M, Perea J, Gomez G. Effects of genotype and slaughter weight on the meat quality of Criollo Cordobes and Anglonubian kids produced under extensive feeding conditions. Meat Sci. 2009;83:417-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.06.017
- Ruusunen M, Puolanne E. Reducing sodium intake from meat products. Meat Sci. 2005;70:531-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.07.016
- Superior Health Council. Red meat, processed red meats and the prevention of colorectal cancer. 2013. http://www.health.belgium.be/internet2Prd/groups/public/@public/@shc/documents/ie2divers/19091480_en.pdf. Accessed 10 Sep 2018.
- World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research. Food, nutrition, physical activity and the prevention of cancer: a global perspective. 2007. http://www.dietandcancerreport.org/index.php. Accessed 10 May 2018.
- Norat T, Lukanova A, Ferrari P, Riboli E. Meat consumption and colorectal cancer risk: dose-response meta-analysis of epidemiological studies. Int J Cancer. 2002;98:241-56. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10126
- Cross AJ, Leitzmann MF, Gail MH, Hollenbeck AR, Schatzkin A, Sinha R. A prospective study of red and processed meat intake in relation to cancer risk. PLos Med. 2007;4:e325. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0040325
- Ferlay J, Steliarova-Foucher E, Lortet-Tieulent J, Rosso S, Coebergh JW, Comber H, et al. Cancer incidence and mortality patterns in Europe: estimates for 40 countries in 2012. Eur J Cancer. 2013;49:1374-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.12.027
- Oostindjer M, Alexander J, Amdam GV, Andersen G, Bryan NS, Chen D, et al. The role of red and processed meat in colorectal cancer development: a perspective. Meat Sci. 2014;97:583-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.02.011
- De Smet S, Vossen E. Meat: the balance between nutrition and health. A review. Meat Sci. 2016;120:145-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2016.04.008
- Department of Standards Malaysia. MS1500:2009: Halal food - production, preparation, handling and storage - General guidelines (second revision). 2009. http://www.jsm.gov.my/ms-1500-2009-halal-food#.XOTdwohLiiM. Accessed 10 Jul 2018.
- Regenstein JM, Grandin T. Kosher and halal animal welfare standards. Institute of Food Technologists Religious and Ethnic Foods Division Newsletter; 2002;5:3-16.
- Grandin T. Improving religious slaughter practices in the U.S. 2006. http://journals.openedition.org/aof/93. Accessed 13 Jul 2018.
- Gregory NG. Animal welfare at markets and during transport and slaughter. Meat Sci. 2008;80:2-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.05.019
- Tieman M, van der Vorst JGAJ, Ghazali MC. Principles in Halal supply chain management. Journal of Islamic Marketing. 2012;3:217-43. https://doi.org/10.1108/17590831211259727
- Department of Islamic Development Malaysia (JAKIM). Manual procedure for Malaysia halal certification (third revision). 2014. http://www.halal.gov.my/v4/images/pdf/MPPHM2014BI.pdf. Accessed 23 Aug 2018.
- Humane Slaughter Association (HSA). UK: Slaughter by religious methods. http://www.hsa.org.uk. Accessed 18 Sep 2018.
- Regenstein JM, Regenstein CE. Current issues in kosher foods. Trends Food Sci Tech. 1991;2:50-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-2244(91)90621-O
- Gross GA. Knives, shochets (kosher slaughterers). 2011. https://www.flickr.com/photos/news21/6221415954. Accessed 13 Aug 2018.
- Shechita. 2018. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shechita#mw-head. Accessed 18 Jun 2018.
- Regenstein JM. FDSC 2500 - Kosher and halal food regulations. Course material. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University. 2019.
- Hubbert WT, Hagstad HV, Spangler E, Hinton MH, Hughes KL. Food safety and quality assurance: foods of animal origin. 2nd ed. New Jersey: Wiley-Blackwell; 1996.
- Aghwan ZA. Ritual and commercial slaughter practices: a main step for meat production and consumption. In: Aghwan ZA, Muhammad J, Awang MD, Nordin FM, editors. Halal practices in economy and community. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Attin Press; 2016. p. 158-176.
- Aghwan ZA, Bello AU, Abubakar AA, Imlan JC, Sazili AQ. Efficient halal bleeding, animal handling, and welfare: a holistic approach for meat quality. Meat Sci. 2016;121:420-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2016.06.028
- Grandin T, Regenstein JM. Religious slaughter and animal welfare: a discussion for meat scientists. Meat Foc Inter. 1994;3:115-23.
- Velarde A, Rodriguez P, Dalmau A, Fuentes C, Llonch P, von Holleben KV, et al. Religious slaughter: evaluation of current practices in selected countries. Meat Sci. 2014;96:278-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.07.013
- Aghwan ZAA. Awareness and demand for halal and tayyib meat products supply chain. Proceeding of the 3rd International Seminar on Halalan Thayyiban Products and Services; Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam. 2018. p. 52-8.
- Hornby C, Yucel S. Halal food going mainstream in Europe: Nestle. 2009. https://www.reuters.com/article/2009/11/17/idINIndia-44025720091117. Accessed 21 Jul 2018.
- Ferguson DM, Schreurs NM, Kenyon PR, Jacob RH. Balancing consumer and societal requirements for sheep meat production: An Australasian perspective. Meat Sci. 2014;98:477-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2014.06.020
- Ferguson DM, Warner RD. Have we underestimated the impact of pre-slaughter stress on meat quality in ruminants? Meat Sci. 2008;80:12-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.05.004
- Aghwan ZA. Ritual and traditional slaughter practices for meat production. J Islam Soc Econ Devel ( JISED). 2019;4:224-30.
- Helmut P. Bleeding. In: Review of stunning and halal slaughter. 2010. http://www.livecorp.com.au/LC/files/98/98780c7e-2e95-4e45-98d9-74ff85c50281.pdf. Accessed 28 Jun 2018.
- Tieman M. The application of halal in supply chain management: in-depth interviews. J Islamic Mark. 2011;2:186-95. https://doi.org/10.1108/17590831111139893
- Setser CS. Color: reflections and transmissions. J Food Quality. 1984;6:183-97. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.1984.tb00824.x
- Mancini RA, Hunt MC. Current research in meat color. Meat Sci. 2005;71:100-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.03.003
- Skrlep M, Candek-Potokar M. Pork color measurement as affected by bloom time and measurement location. J Muscle Foods. 2007;18:78-87. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.2007.00067.x
- Zhang W, Xiao S, Samaraweera H, Lee EJ, Ahn DU. Improving functional value of meat products. Meat Sci. 2010;86:15-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.04.018
- Haugaard P, Hansen F, Jensen M, Grunert KG. Consumer attitudes toward new technique for preserving organic meat using herbs and berries. Meat Sci. 2014;96:126-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.06.010
- Vranken L, Avermaete T, Petalios D, Mathijs E. Curbing global meat consumption: emerging evidence of a second nutrition transition. Environ Sci Policy. 2014;39:95-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2014.02.009