- Volume 71 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Design procedure for seismic retrofit of RC beam-column joint using single diagonal haunch
- Zabihi, Alireza (Centre for Sustainable Infrastructure, Swinburne University of Technology) ;
- Tsang, Hing-Ho (Centre for Sustainable Infrastructure, Swinburne University of Technology) ;
- Gad, Emad F. (Centre for Sustainable Infrastructure, Swinburne University of Technology) ;
- Wilson, John L. (Centre for Sustainable Infrastructure, Swinburne University of Technology)
- Received : 2019.02.20
- Accepted : 2019.04.05
- Published : 2019.08.25
Exterior beam-column joint is typically the weakest link in a limited-ductile reinforced concrete (RC) frame structure. The use of diagonal haunch element has been considered as a desirable seismic retrofit option for reducing the seismic demand at the joint. Previous research globally has focused on implementing double haunches, while the use of single haunch element as a less-invasive and more architecturally favorable retrofit option has not been investigated. In this paper, the key formulations and a design procedure for the single haunch system for retrofitting RC exterior beam-column joint are developed. An application of the proposed design procedure is then illustrated through a case study.
Supported by : Bushfire and Natural Hazards Cooperative Research Centre
- Akbar, J., Ahmad, N., Alam, B. and Ashraf, M. (2018), "Seismic performance of RC frames retrofitted with haunch technique", Struct. Eng. Mech., 67(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2018.67.1.001. https://doi.org/10.12989/SEM.2018.67.1.001
- Australian Building Codes Board (2016), National Construction Code of Australia - Class 2 and 9 Buildings - Volume One, Canberra, ACT, Australia.
- Aycardi, L.E., Mander, J.B. and Reinhorn, A.M. (1994), "Seismic resistance of reinforced concrete frame structures designed only for gravity loads", ACI Struct. J., 91(5), 552-563.
- Beres, A., El-Borgi, S., White, R.N. and Gergely, P. (1992), "Experimental results of repaired and retrofitted beam-column joint tests in lightly reinforced concrete frame buildings", NCEER-92-0025; National Center for Earthquake Engineering Research, Taipei, Taiwan. http://hdl.handle.net/10477/610.
- Beres, A., Pessiki, S.P., White, R.N. and Gergely, P. (1996), "Implications of experiments on the seismic behavior of gravity load designed RC beam-to-column connections", Earthq. Spectra, 12(2), 185-198. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585876. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585876
- Calvi, G.M., Magenes, G. and Pampanin, S. (2002), "Relevance of beam-column joint damage and collapse in RC frame assessment", J. Earthq. Eng., 6(S1),75-100.
- Chen, T. (2006), "Retrofit strategy of non-seismically designed frame systems based on a metallic haunch system", M.Sc. Dissertation, University of Canterbury, Christchurch.
- Genesio, G. (2012), "Seismic assessment of RC exterior beam-column joints and retrofit with haunches using post-installed anchors", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart.
- Ghobarah, A. and Said, A. (2002), "Shear strengthening of beam-column joints", Eng. Struct., 24(7), 881-888. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00026-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00026-3
- Hertanto, E. (2005), "Seismic assessment of pre-1970s reinforced concrete structure", M.Sc. Dissertation, University of Canterbury, Christchurch.
- Lam, N.T.K., Tsang, H.H., Lumantarna, E. and Wilson, J.L. (2016), "Minimum loading requirements for areas of low seismicity", Earthq. Struct., 11(4), 539-561. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.4.539. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.4.539
- Pampanin, S., Magenes, G. and Carr, A. (2003), "Modelling of shear hinge mechanism in poorly detailed RC beam-column joints", Proceedings of the FIB 2003 Symposium, Athens. http://hdl.handle.net/10092/194.
- Pampanin, S., Bolognini, D., Pavese, A., Magenes, G. and Calvi, G.M. (2004), "Multi-level seismic rehabilitation of existing frame systems and subassemblies using FRP composites", Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering, Adelaide, Australia, December.
- Pampanin, S., Christopoulos, C. and Chen, T. (2006), "Development and validation of a metallic haunch seismic retrofit solution for existing under-designed RC frame buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dynam., 35(14), 1739-1766. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.600. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.600
- Park, R. and Paulay, T. (1975), Reinforced Concrete Struct., John Wiley and Sons, USA.
- Paulay, T. and Park, R. (1984), "Joints in reinforced concrete frames designed for earthquake resistance", Report prepared for the U.S.-N.Z.-Japan Seminar, Christchurch, July.
- Priestley, M.J.N. (1997), "Displacement-based seismic assessment of reinforced concrete buildings", J. Earthq. Eng., 1(1), 157-192. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469708962365
- Raza, S., Tsang, H.H. and Wilson, J.L. (2018), "Unified models for post-peak failure drifts of normaland high-strength RC columns", Mag. Concrete Res., 70(21), 1081-1101. https://doi.org/10.1680/jmacr.17.00375
- Sharma, A., Reddy, G.R., Eligehausen, R., Genesio, G. and Pampanin, S. (2014), "Seismic response of reinforced concrete frames with haunch retrofit solution", ACI Struct. J., 111(3), 673-684. https://doi.org/10.14359/51686625
- Sharma, A., Eligehausen, R. and Reddy, G.R. (2011), "A new model to simulate joint shear behavior of poorly detailed beam-column connections in RC structures under seismic loads, Part I: Exterior joints", Eng. Struct., 33(3), 1034-1051. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.12.026. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.12.026
- Shiravand, M.R., Nejad, A.K. and Bayanifar, M.H. (2017), "Seismic response of RC structures rehabilitated with SMA under near-field earthquakes", Struct. Eng. Mech., 63(4), 497-507. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2017.63.4.497. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2017.63.4.497
- Singh, B., Chidambaram, R.S., Sharma, S. and Kwatra, N. (2017), "Behavior of FRP strengthened RC brick in-filled frames subjected to cyclic loading", Struct. Eng. Mech., 64(5), 557-566. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2017.64.5.557. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2017.64.5.557
- Standards Australia (2007), AS 1170.4-2007, Structural Design Actions; Part 4: Earthquake Actions, Australian Standard; Sydney, Australia.
- Tasligedik, A.S., Akguzel U., Kam W.Y. and Pampanin, S. (2018), "Strength hierarchy at reinforced concrete beam- column joints and global capacity strength hierarchy at reinforced concrete beam-column joints and global capacity", J. Earthq. Eng., 22(3), 454-487. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2016.1233916. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2016.1233916
- The United States Geological Survey (2018), Earthquake Statistics, USA. https://earthquake.usgs.gov/
- Tsang, H.H., Wilson, J.L., Lam, N.T.K. and Su, R.K.L. (2017), "A design spectrum model for flexible soil sites in regions of low-to-moderate seismicity", Soil Dynam. Earthq. Eng., 92, 36-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2016.09.035. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2016.09.035
- Tsang H.H., Wilson, J.L. and Lam, N.T.K. (2017), "A refined design spectrum model for regions of lower seismicity", Australian J. Struct. Eng., 18(1), 3-10. https://doi.org/10.1080/13287982.2017.1297529. https://doi.org/10.1080/13287982.2017.1297529
- Tsonos, A.G. (1999), "Lateral load response of strengthened reinforced concrete beam to column joints", ACI Struct. J., 96, 46-56.
- Wibowo, A., Wilson, J.L., Lam, N. TK. and Gad, E.F. (2014), "Drift performance of lightly reinforced concrete columns", Eng. Struct., 59, 522-535. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.11.016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.11.016
- Wilson, J.L., Wibowo, A., Lam, N.T.K. and Gad, E.F. (2015), "Drift behaviour of lightly reinforced concrete columns and structural walls for seismic design applications", Australian J. Struct. Eng., 16(1), 62-74.
- Yu, Q. "Kent", Uang, C. and Gross, J. (2000), "Seismic rehabilitation design of steel moment connection", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 126(1), 69-78. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:1(69). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:1(69)
- Zabihi, A., Tsang, H.H., Gad, E.F. and Wilson, J.L. (2018), "Seismic retrofit of exterior RC beam-column joint using diagonal haunch", Eng. Struct., 174, 753-767. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.07.100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.07.100