- Volume 3 Issue 4
We propose a ring resonator-based orbital angular momentum carrying vortex beam generator design with high vertical directional emission efficiency. By adopting a vertically asymmetric grating structure in the ring resonator, optimized for enhanced vertical emission, an emission efficiency in one direction reaches as high as 78%, exceeding the 50% theoretical limit of previously designed vertically symmetric grating-assisted ring resonator-based structures.
Optical orbital angular momentum;Vortex beam;Numerical modeling
- J. Wang, J.-Y. Yang, I. M. Fazal, N. Ahmed, Y. Yan, H. Huang, Y. Ren, Y. Yue, S. Dolinar, M. Tur, and A. E. Willner, "Terabit free-space data transmission employing orbital angular momentum multiplexing," Nat. Photonics 6, 488-496 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1038/nphoton.2012.138
- Z.-Y. Zhou, Y. Li, D.-S. Ding, W. Zhang, S. Shi, B.-S. Shi, and G.-C. Guo, "Orbital angular momentum photonic quantum interface," Light: Sci. Appl. 5, e16019 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1038/lsa.2016.19
- X. Cai, J. Wang, M. J. Strain, B. Johnson-Morris, J. Zhu, M. Sorel, J. L. O'Brien, M. G. Thompson, and S. Yu, "Integrated compact optical vortex beam emitters," Science 338, 363-366 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1226528
- G. Rui, B. Gu, Y. Cui, and Q. Zhan, "Detection of orbital angular momentum using a photonic integrated circuit," Sci. Rep. 6, 28262 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1038/srep28262
- P. Miao, Z. Zhang, J. Sun, W. Walasik, S. Longhi, N. M. Litchinitser, and L. Feng, "Orbital angular momentum microlaser," Science 353, 464-467 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aaf8533
- Z. Shao, J. Zhu, Y. Zhang, Y. Chen, and S. Yu, "On-chip switchable radially and azimuthally polarized vortex beam generation," Opt. Lett. 43, 1263-1266 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.43.001263
- E. Knill, R. Laflamme, and G. J. Milburn, "A scheme for efficient quantum computation with linear optics," Nature 409, 46-52 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1038/35051009
- L.-M. Duan, M. D. Lukin, J. I. Cirac, and P. Zoller, "Long-distance quantum communication with atomic ensembles and linear optics," Nature 414, 413-418 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1038/35106500
- K. X. Wang, Z. Yu, S. Sandhu, and S. Fan, "Fundamental bounds on decay rates in asymmetric single-mode optical resonators," Opt. Lett. 38, 100-102 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.38.000100
- S. S. Wang and R. Magnusson, "Theory and applications of guided-mode resonance filters," Appl. Opt. 32, 2606-2613 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.32.002606
- Lumerical FDTD Solution, 2019, http://www.lumerical.com/.
- S. M. Barnett, "Optical angular-momentum flux," J. Opt. B: Quantum Semiclassical Opt. 4, S7 (2001).
- R. Eberhart and J. Kennedy, "A new optimizer using particle swarm theory," in Proc. MHS'95. Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on Micro Machine and Human Science (Japan, Oct. 1995), pp. 39-43.
Supported by : Agency for Defense Development (ADD)