- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Pharmacoacupuncture Treatment of Coccygodynia Caused by Perforating Cutaneous Nerve Entrapment Syndrome: Two Cases Report
관통피부신경 포착으로 발생한 꼬리뼈 통증 환자 약침치료 치험 2예
- Moon, Sori (Department of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine, Dongguk University Bundang Oriental Hospital) ;
- An, Sunjoo (Department of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine, Dongguk University Bundang Oriental Hospital) ;
- Choi, Seonghwan (Department of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine, Dongguk University Bundang Oriental Hospital) ;
- Park, Seohyun (Department of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine, Dongguk University Bundang Oriental Hospital) ;
- Keum, Dongho (Department of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine, Dongguk University Bundang Oriental Hospital)
- 문소리 (동국대학교 분당한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 안선주 (동국대학교 분당한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 최성환 (동국대학교 분당한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 박서현 (동국대학교 분당한방병원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 금동호 (동국대학교 분당한방병원 한방재활의학과)
- Received : 2019.06.15
- Accepted : 2019.07.05
- Published : 2019.07.31
This study was performed to evaluate the effectiveness of pharmacoacupuncture treatment of coccygodynia caused by perforating cutaneous nerve entrapment syndrome. Two patients were diagnosed as coccygodynia caused by perforating cutaneous nerve entrapment syndrome which pain was within the anatomical field of the nerve, worsened by pressure-inducing posture, no objective sensory loss and in presence of pin-point tenderness. They were treated by pharmacoacupuncture at perforating cutaneous nerve region penertrating the sacrotuberous ligament and local tenderness point of coccyx. The evaluation of clinical outcome was done by pain intensity numerical rating scale (PI-NRS), pressure pain threshold (PPT) and EuroQol five dimensions questionnaire (EQ-5D) index. After treatment, their PI-NRS was decreased, PPT and EQ-5D index were increased. The pharmacoacupuncture therapy at entrapment point of perforating cutaneous nerve could be an effective way to treat coccygodynia caused by perforating cutaneous nerve entrapment syndrome.
- Dampc B, Slowinski K. Coccygodynia - pathogenesis, diagnostics and therapy. Review of the writing. Pol Przegl Chir. 2017;89(4):33-40.
- Elkhashab Y, Ng A. A review of current treatment options for coccygodynia. Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2018;22(4):1-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11916-018-0661-0
- Trescot A, Brown M. Peripheral nerve entrapment, hydrodissection and neural regenerative strategies. Technique in Regional Anesthesia and Pain Management. 2015;19(1):85-93. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.trap.2016.09.015
- Choi SU, Sin MS, Kim SC. Mononeuropathy and nerve entrapment syndromes. Goyang:Gaonhaemedia. 2017:12-29.
- Lee JW, Lee SM, Lee DG. Pudendal nerve entrapment syndrome due to a ganglion cyst: a case report. Annals of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2016;40(4):741-5. https://doi.org/10.5535/arm.2016.40.4.741
- Labat JJ, Riant T, Robert R, Amarenco G, Lefaucheur JP, Rigaud J. Diagnostic criteria for pudendal neuralgia by pudendal nerve entrapment (Nantes Criteria). Neurourology and Urodynamics. 2008;27(4):306-10. https://doi.org/10.1002/nau.20505
- Soliman D. Pain management by prolotherapy and perineural injection therapy. Deutschland:Lambert Academic Publishing. 2016:101-33, 160-3, 254.
- Bohrer JC, Chen CCG, Walters MD. Pudendal neuropathy involving the perforating cutaneous nerve after cystocele repair with graft. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2008;112(2, Part 2):496-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0b013e31817f19b8
- Choi YJ, Lee YK, Kim JS, Lee HJ, Lim SC. A case of entrapment neuropathy treated by bee venom acupuncture at median nerve and ulnar nerve. The Journal of East-West Medicine. 2013;38(2):51-9.
- Koo JS, Jang JW, Kim SM, Choi JH, Jang YW, Kim DJ. Two clinical case studies on femoral neuralgia with nerve entrapment. The Journal of Korean Oriental Internal Medicine. 2016;37(2):212-7.
- Heo SY, Choi JM, Seo HK. Investigation on the meridian-muscle therapy for myogenic nerve entrapment syndrome. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine. 2001;2(1):43-50.
- Netter F. Atlas of Human Anatomy. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier. 2014:490.
- Shim SY, Park HJ, Lee JM, Lee HS. An overview of pain measurements. Korean Journal of Acupuncture. 2007;24(2):77-97.
- Lee YK, Nam HS, Chuang LH, Kim KY, Yang HK, Kwon IS, Kind P, Kweon SS, Kim YT. South Korean time trade-off values for EQ-5D health states: modeling with observed values for 101 health states. Value in Health. 2009;12(8):1187-280. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4733.2009.00579.x
- Son MK, Park HK, Lee YB. Etiologic study of tarsal tunnel syndrome by operative and MRI findings. Annals of Clinical Neurophysiology. 2011;13(2):87-92.
- Lee KC, Kwak JH, Hwang CH, Park HG. Treatment of superficial peroneal nerve entrapment syndrome under local anesthesia using ultrasonogram. Journal of Korean Foot and Ankle Society. 2013;17(3):215-9.
- Zhou M, Yang M, Chen L, Yu C, Zhang W, Ji J, Chen C, Shen X, Ying J. The effectiveness of long-needle acupuncture at acupoints BL30 and BL35 for CP/CPPS: a randomized controlled pilot study. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2017;17(1):1-6. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-016-1505-2
- Korean Parmacopuncture Institute. Pharmacopuncturology. 2nd ed. Seoul:Elsvier Korea LLC. 2011:215-22.
- Kim EJ, Kim GY. Effects of hominis placenta pharmacopuncture and electroacupuncture neuroprotection in contused spinal cord of rats. Journal of Physiology & Pathology in Korean Medicine. 2011;25(2):257-63.