- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study on the Pain and Treatment Satisfaction between Korean Medical Treatment Combined with Ultrasound Guided Soyeom Pharmacopuncture Therapy in Thoracic Paravertebral Space and Non-Guided Soyeom Pharmacopuncture Therapy on Patients with Ribs Fracture: A Retrospective Study
늑골 골절 환자에서 초음파 유도하 흉추 주위 공간(TPVS) 소염약침 치료를 시행한 한방치료군과 촉지하 소염약침 치료를 시행한 한방치료군의 통증 및 치료만족도 비교 연구: 후향적 연구
- Kim, Yeon Hee (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Oh, Tae Young (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Lee, Eun Jung (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Oh, Min Seok (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University)
- 김연희 (대전대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 오태영 (대전대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 이은정 (대전대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 오민석 (대전대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실)
- Received : 2019.06.14
- Accepted : 2019.07.04
- Published : 2019.07.31
Objectives The purpose of this study is to investigate pain reduction and treatment satisfaction of patients with rib fracrture treated with Soyeom pharmacopuncture therapy under ultrasonic guided - thoracic paravertebral space (TPVS), and also compare to the patients with non-guided pharmacoacupuncture. Methods We studied medical records of 6 patients hospitalized with rib fractures were analyzed retrospectively at department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation from March 1, 2019 to May 31, 2019, The 3 patients had performed the treatment of Soyeom pharmacopuncture therapy on TPVS under ultrasonic guidance with Korean Medicine treatment (such as herbal medicine, acupuncture, moxabustion, etc) and the other 3 patients had performed the treatment of Soyeom pharmacopuncture therapy on TPVS through non-guided. We used numeric rating scale to assess improvements in pain and the five-point likert scale was used to assess treatment satisfaction. Statistical analysis was carried out using the IBM SPSS Statistics 24 program. Results The purpose of this study is to investigate pain reduction and treatment satisfaction of patients with rib fracrture treated with Soyeom pharmacopuncture therapy under ultrasonic guided - TPVS, and also compare to the patients with non-guided pharmacoacupuncture. Conclusions After analyzing 6 studies, we could imply that the treatment of Soyeom pharmacopuncture therapy on TPVS under ultrasonic guidance could be more effective on pain reduction and improvement of treatment satisfaction with rib fracture compared to those who were treated with non-guided pharmacoacupuncture.
- Kim HY, Kim MY. Management of patients with rib fractures: analysis of the risk factors affecting the outcome. Korean Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2010;43(3):285-91. https://doi.org/10.5090/kjtcs.2010.43.3.285
- Kang JH, Lee SK, Seo MB, Na JY, Jang JH, Kim KY. A clinical study of intercostal neuropathy after rib fracture. The Korean Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2010;43:53-7. https://doi.org/10.5090/kjtcs.2010.43.1.53
- Moon SH, Lee S, Lee JI. Ultrasound-guided intervention in thoracic spine. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 2015;50:93-106. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2015.50.2.93
- Rhee YG, Bae DK, Kim CJ, Nam GU, Ryu KN. Sonographic evaluation of rotator cuff tears. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 1993;28(1):172-8. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.1922.214.171.124
- Jeong JK, Park KN, Kim KM, Kim SY, Kim ES, Kim JH, Nam SK, Kim YI. The effectiveness of ultrasound-guided bee venom pharmacopuncture combined with integrative Korean medical treatment for rotator cuff diseases : a retrospective case series. Journal of Acupuncture Research. 2016;33(4):165-80.
- Lee YJ, Lee J, Lee HJ, Ryu HH, Choi EJ, Kim JY. Characteristic study of the pulse position on CHON, KWAN and CHUCK using the ultrasonic waves. Korea Journal of Oriental Medicine. 2007;13(3):111-7.
- Lee SY, Lee SW, Lee MH, Yoo SY, Chung JY, Lee SH, Lee YH, Lee JD. Study of the evaluation of the knee osteoarthritis using ultrasonography. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2009;26(6):77-83.
- Hwang DS, Lee JS, Jeong EJ, Lee YJ, Lee KS, Jang JB. A study for the syndrome differentiation of retroverted uterus using ultrasound. The Journal of Oriental Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2012;25(3):85-94.
- Kim JH, Jeon SM, An MY, Ku SK, Lee JH, Choi MS, Moon KD. Effect of diet of Korean safflower (Carthamus tinctorious L.) seed powder on bone tissue in rats during the recovery of rib fracture. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 1998;27(4):698-704.
- Seo HJ, Kim JH, Kwak DY, Jeon SM, Ku SK, Lee JH, Monn KD, Choi MS. The effects of safflower seed powder and its fraction on bone tissue in rib-fractured rats during the recovery. The Korean Journal of Nutrition. 2000;33(4):411-20.
- Journal of Acupuncture Research. The acupuncture and moxibustion medicine. Paju:Jipmoondang Publishing. 2012:692.
- Hwang JJ, Kim YJ, Ryu HY, Cho HM. Early surgical stabilization of ribs for severe multiple rib fractures. Journal of Trauma and Injury. 2011;24(1):12-7.
- Shorr RM, Rodriguez A, Indeck MC, Crittenden MD, Hartunian S, Cowley RA. Blunt chest trauma in the elderly. J Trauma. 1989;29:234-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-198902000-00016
- Yun YO, Oh SC, Park JM, Yoon KJ. Continuous thoracic paravertebral block for pain management following thoracotomy. Korean J Pain. 2004;17(2):202-6. https://doi.org/10.3344/jkps.2004.17.2.202
- Shanghai University of Traditonal Chines Medicine. The acupuncture and moxibustion medicine. Shanghai: People's Medical Publishing House Company. 1977:168-9.
- Ahn SG, Lee SR, Yang YS. The treatise research on hua-Tuo-Jia-Ji-Xue. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2000;17(4):139-48.
- Nam JK, Lee MJ, Kim HJ. The clinical study on Hua-Tuo-Jia-Ji-Xue acupuncture treatment to neuropathic pain of patients with spinal cord injury. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2010;20(2):183-90.
- Yang MS, Kee YB, Kang DH, Shin MS, Kim SJ, Choi JB. The effects of ST36, GB34, GB39 and Hyeopcheok points on nerve regeneration in spinal cord injury rat model. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2012;22(4):1-21.
- Ko MH, Kim JY, Park SH, Kim NG, Seo JH. Comparison of ultrasonographic findings with clinical findings in hemiplegic shoulder. Journal of the Korean Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2006;30(3):213-8.
- Mark LA, Matsen FA, Kilcoyne RF, Davies PK, Sickler ME. US evaluation of the rotator cuff. Radiology. 1985;157(1):205-9. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.157.1.3898216
- Davies RG, Myles PS, Graham JM. A comparison of the analgesic efficacy and side-effects of paravertebral vs epidural blockade for thoracotomy: a systematic review and metaanalysis of randomized trials. Br J Anaesth. 2006;96:418-26. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/ael020
- Joshi GP, Bonnet F, Shah R, Wilkinson RC, Camu F, Fischer B, Neugebauer EA, Rawal N, Schug SA. Simanski C, Kehlet H. A systematic review of randomized trials evaluating regional techniques for postthoracotomy analgesia. Anesthesia & Analgesia. 2008;107:1026-40. https://doi.org/10.1213/01.ane.0000333274.63501.ff
- Lee SH, Kim SJ. An intensive review on clinical thesis about Hwangryunhaedok-tang pharmacopuncture treatment: focused on case reports and controlled studies in Korean academic journals. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2019;29(2):171-88. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2019.29.2.171
- Morley S, Pallin V. Scaling the affective domain of pain: a study of the dimensionality of verbal descriptors. Pain. 1995;62(1):39-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(94)00226-5
- Lim GM, Wi DY, Lee JH, Ko YS. The effects of Soyeom and Jungsongouhyul pharmacopuncture on whiplash injury by traffic accident. Journal of Oriental Rehab Med. 2012;22(2):185-92.
- Us Department of Health & Human Services. Acute pain management: operative or medical procedures and trauma. Washington:AHCPR(Agency for Health Care Policy and Research). 1992:92.
- Ryu SH, Yoon JH. The use of likert scale in community nutrition research: analysis of the articles published in Korean journal of community nutrition. Korean Journal Community Nutrition. 2009;14(5):600-7.
- Kim YH, Oh MS. Effects of acupotomy on pain and functional improvement in acute low back pain patients: a retrospective study. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2018;28(2):91-104. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2018.28.2.91
- Ahn HL, Shin MS, Kim SJ, Choi JB. Effects of neutral Eohyeol (Yuxue) herbal acupuncture and Dangkisoo-san (Dangguixu-san) on fracture healing in the early stage in rats. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2007;17(1):1-16.
- Seo KM, Chung SG. Upper extremity pain. In: Han TR, Bang MS, Chung SG, eds. Rehabilitation medicine. 5th ed. Seoul:Koonja Publishing. 2014:1032-55.
- Eason MJ, Wyatt R. Paravertebral thoracic block-a reappraisal. Anaesthesia. 1979;34:638-42. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2044.1979.tb06363.x
- Lonnqvist PA, MacKenzie J, Soni AK, Conacher ID. Paravertebral blockade. Failure rate and complications. Anaesthesia. 1995;50:813-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2044.1995.tb06148.x