- Volume 10 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Influence of Parental Attachment on Learning Flow: Mediating Effects of Parental Academic Expectation and Optimism in Adolescents
청소년들의 부모애착이 학습몰입에 미치는 영향: 부모의 학업기대와 낙관성의 매개효과
Jeong, Goo-Churl;Seol, Mi-Kyung
- Received : 2019.05.07
- Accepted : 2019.07.20
- Published : 2019.07.28
The purpose of this study was to analyze the mediating effects of parental academic expectations and adolescent's optimism in the influence of perceived parental attachment on learning flow. The subjects of this study were 184 middle and high school students in Seoul. The results of this study are as follows. First, academic expectation and optimism showed significant full mediation effects on the relationship between parent attachment and learning flow. Second, there was no statistically significant difference in the difference between the indirect effects of academic expectation and optimism by the bootstrapping method. Based on the results of this study, it was found that the healthy attachment relationship with the parents increases the parent's supportive expectancy, improves the optimism for the youth, and improves the learning commitment for effective learning. Finally, we discussed the role and expectations of parents and adolescents in promoting the learning commitment of adolescents.
Attachment;Learning Flow;Academic Expectation;Optimism;Adolescent
- Y. S. Lee. (2016.5.3.). Only study time, Efficiency dripping. Kookminilbo http://news.kmib.co.kr
- C. O. Yu, G. J. Park & S. H. Kim. (2015). Analysis of the Structural Relationships among Sports Activity Participation, Self-resilience, Academic stress, and Adjustment to Life in Middle School Students, Korean Journal of Sport Pedagogy, 22(2), 109-126.
- J. A. Kim & Y. W. Hwang. (2014). A Meta-Analysis on the Internal and External Factors of Learning Flow. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 21(8), 49-78.
- I. B. Suk & E. C. Kang. (2007). Development and Validation of the Learning Flow Scale. Journal of Educational Technology, 23(1), 121-154. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.23.1.121
- S. I. Park & Y. K. Kim. (2006). An Inquiry on the Relationships among Learning-Flow Factors, Flow Level, Achievement under On-line Learning Environment. The Korea Association of Yeolin Education, 14(1), 93-115.
- M. Wong & M. Csikszentmihalyi. (1991). Motivation and academic achievement: The effects of personality traits and the duality of experience. Journal of Personality, 59(3), 539-574. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6494.1991.tb00259.x
- I. B. Suk. (2008). Analyzing Characters of the Learning Flow. Journal of educational technology, 24(1), 187-212.
- J. S. Lee. (2009). The Relationship between Metacognition and Learning flow of High School Students: The Mediating Effect of Self-Directed Learning Ability. The Journal of Korean Teacher Education, 26(2), 277-295. https://doi.org/10.24211/tjkte.2009.26.2.277
- J. H. Lee. (2010). Analysis of the structural relationships among self-determination motivation to learn, metacognition, self-directed learning ability, learning flow, and school achievement. Korean journal of educational research, 48(2), 67-92.
- S. I. Park & Y. K. Kim. (2006). An Inquiry on the Relationships among Learning Flow Factors, Flow Level, Achievement under Online Learning Environment. The Korea Association of Yeolin Education, 14(1), 93-115.
- W. K. Shin & W. I. Kim. (2018). The Mediating Effects of Achievement Goal Orientation in the Relationship between Parental Attachment and Learning Flow among High School Students. Korean journal of youth studies, 25(2), 91-111. https://doi.org/10.21509/KJYS.2018.02.25.2.91
- H. J. Kim. (2012). The Structural Relationship among Teacher-student Relationships, Learning Motivation and Learning Flow. Doctor's thesis. Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- S. J. Yune & S. H. Kang. (2012). The Effect of Family Strength, Peer Relationship and Self-Determination on Learning Flow Perceived by Middle School Students. The korea educational review, 18(3), 235-259.
- J. Y. Yoo, M. S. Choi & S. Y. Choi. (2010). The Structural Relationship of Class Climate, Family Challenge-Support, Learning Motivation, Self-Directed Learning Ability, and Learning Flow Perceived by Adolescents. Korean Educational Psychology Association, 24(3), 707-732.
- Y. J. Kim & J. H. Park. (2012). The Relationships among Learning Presence, Learning Flow, and Academic Achievement at the Cyber Universities. Asian journal of education, 13(3), 143-170. https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2012.13.4.007
- S. H. Kang. (2012). The Mediating Effect of School Adjustment on the Relationship between Family Strength and Leaning Flow in Middle School Students. Secondary Educational Research, 60(4), 937-961. https://doi.org/10.25152/ser.2012.60.4.937
- S. G. Chae & H. J. Shin. (2016). Influence of Parental Pressure and Academic Self-efficacy on Learning Flow : Testing the Mediating and Moderating Effects of Self-determination. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology, 23(3), 615-632.
- S. J. Lee. (2010). The Path Analysis of Teacher- Student Relationships, Class Climate, and Learning Flow on Academic Achievement in Elementary Students. The Korean Society for the Study of Elementary Education, 23(4), 207-227.
- Y. J. Joo, A. K. Chung & H. R. Choi. (2012). Prediction of Learning Flow, School Flow and School Support on Satisfaction and Learning Persistence in Engineering College. Journal of the Institute of Electronics Engineers of Korea, 49(1), 30-38.
- J. Nakamura & M. Csikszentmihalyi. (2014). In Flow and the foundations of positive psychology. Dordrecht: Springer.
- M. H. Kwak, Y. H. Kwak & M. N. Ko. (2018). The Structural Analysis of Relations among Parent Attachment, Teacher-student Relationship, Learning Motivation, Learning Flow for High School Students. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 25(11), 209-229.
- A. B. Nickerson & R. J. Nagle. (2004). The influence of parent and peer attachments on life satisfaction in middle childhood and early adolescence. Dordrecht: Springer.
- E. J. Kim. (2015). A longitudinal study on the relationship of adolescent's parent attachment, self-esteem, anger and stress. National Youth Policy Institute, 26(4), 239-266.
- S. H. Lee & J. H. Cha. (2018). The Effects of Parental Attachment and Experience of Flow in Major of University Students on Career Decision Making Self-Efficacy. Jounal of educational Research Institute. 20(2), 219-235. https://doi.org/10.15564/jeju.2018.11.20.2.219
- C. K. Oh & A. L. Jung. (2015). The Relationship between College Students' Attachment and Academic Achievement: The Mediating Effects of Self-Efficacy and Learning Flow. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 22(12), 57-79.
- J. H. Jong, H. H. Chung & G. S. Lee. (2009). Effects of Parental Achievement Pressure and Junior High School Students' Test Anxiety: Perfectionism and Social Support as Mediators. Korean Psychology Association, 6(3), 377-393.
- J. H. Lee & J. Y. Lee. (2009). The Relationship between Academic Stress and Suicidal Ideation among Adolescents: Mediating Effects of Relationships with Parents or Peer and Cognitive Errors. Korean Journal of Counseling, 10(2), 1113-1126. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.10.2.200906.1113
- M. F. Scheier & C. S. Carver. (1985). Optimism, coping, and health: assessment and implications of generalized outcome expectancies. Health psychology, 4(3), 219. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6188.8.131.52
- M. E. Seligman. (1995). The effectiveness of psychotherapy: The Consumer Reports study. American psychologist, 50(12), 965. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.50.12.965
- A. Carr. (2013). Positive psychology: The science of happiness and human strengths. London: Routledge.
- H. S. Kim & Y. C. Noh. (2012). The Mediating Effect of Resilience on the Relationship between Parents Attachment and Peer Relationship in Upper Grade Elementary School Students. Korean Journal of Counseling, 13(4), 1751-1765. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.13.4.201208.1751
- S. T. Moon, M. H. Kim & H. S. Kang. (2014). Effect of Intimacy with Parents, Optimism, Learning Motivation on School Life Satisfaction in Perspective of Middle School Students. The Korean Journal of Community Living Science. 25(4), 435-448. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2014.25.4.435
- J. Y. Kim & J. Y. Lee. (2007). Effect of mother's optimism and reinforcement on child's adaptability in school: with child's optimism as a mediating variable. Asian journal of education, 8(3), 115-146. https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2007.8.3.005
- S. H. Lee & H. H. Kim. (2012). The Relationship between Parents' and Adolescents` Optimism: The Mediating Effects of Parents` Achievement Parenting behavior. Korean Journal of Child Studies. 33(4), 51-68.
- H. I. Cho. (2013). The Analysis of Relationships between Academic Optimism, Learning Flow, Academic Stress, and Academic Achievement of High School Students. Korean Educational Psychology Association, 27(4), 783-803.
- J. S. Lee & J. H. Lee. (2011). An Analysis of the Structural Relationship Among Teachers' Autonomy, Optimism, Teaching Flow, and Subjective Well-Being. The Korean Society for the Study of Teacher Education, 28(1), 66-90.
- J. R. Campbell. (1994). Developing cross-cultural/ cross-national instruments: Using cross-national methods and procedures. International Journal of Educational Research, 21(7), 675-684. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-0355(94)90040-X
- M. H. Oh & Y. O. Jang. (2007). Difference in Adolescent's Academic Motivation by Family Strengths and Parent's Expectation Styles. Journal of Korean Association of Practical Arts education. 19(4), 57-74.
- E. H. Kim & M. S. Lee. (2015). The Structural Relationship among the Perceived Expectancies of Significant Others, Academic Emotion Regulation, Learning Flow, and Academic Failure Tolerance of Elementary School Students. Korean Education Inquiry, 33(1), 39-56.
- J. Ok. (1998). Relationship between Attachment Security and Depression in Adolescence: Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Perceived Competence. Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- M. F. Scheier, C. S. Carver & M. W. Bridges. (1994). Distinguishing optimism from neuroticism(and trait anxiety, self-mastery, and self-esteem): a reevaluation of the Life Orientation Test. Journal of personality and social psychology, 67(6), 1063. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
- H. S. Shin. (2005). Testing the Mediating Effect of Coping in the Relation of Optimism and Pessimism to Psychological Adjustment in Adolescents. Korean Journal of youth studies, 12(3), 165-192.
- J. H. Choi. (2015). The Relation between Parental Attachment and Depression․Anxiety․Suicidal Impulse Adolescence - The Mediating Effects of Self-confidence. Korean Psychology Association. 2015(8), 455.
- Y. J. Hwang & H. Y. Min. (2012). The Effect of Parental Attachment on School Adjustment Perceived by School-Age Children: Self-Perceived Competence as a Mediating Variable. Korean Home Management Association, 30(2), 65-73.
- Y. A. Jang & J. U. Park. (2013). The Effects of Adolescent's Attachment with Parent and Peer on Their Leadership Life Skills : Focused on the Mediating Effect of Self-Efficacy. Korea Institute of Youth Facility & Environmen, 11(4), 189-200.
- E. K. Bae & J. Y. Woo. (2014). The relation among academic achievement, leadership life skill, and peer relationship according to the level of attachment of elementary and middle school students. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology, 21(2), 299-317.
- Y. Zhu, J. Y. Park & Y. E. Chang. (2017). Effect of Parental Attachment on College Life Adjustment by Chinese Students in Korea: Focused on Mediating Effect of Dispositional Optimism. The Korea Contents Society, 17(2), 82-95.
- K. S. Kim & K. H. Kim. (2009). The Effect of Parents' Educational Expectations and Parenting Attitudes to Parent-Child Attachment among Female Adolescents. The Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 18(1), 51-59.
Supported by : Sahmyook University