- Volume 10 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Advertising effects depending on picture types of the sights and Facebook user's public self-consciousness
페이스북 포스트의 여행지 사진유형과 사용자의 공적자기의식(public self-consciousness)에 따른 광고효과
Park, Euna;Woo, Yeon-Hoo
- Received : 2019.05.08
- Accepted : 2019.07.20
- Published : 2019.07.28
This study investigated what type of destination image on Facebook increases positive attitude towards the destination and desire to travel. More specifically, we hypothesized that Facebook user's public self-consciousness will moderate the advertising effect, so we tested the difference in attitude towards the destination and willingness to visit and recommend based on the type of destination image (presence/absence of a tourist in the image) and user's public self-consciousness (high/low). As a result, when a tourist was present in the photo, positive attitude toward destination was higher than when absent. In addition, the high public self-consciousness group showed greater attitude toward destination and higher willingness to visit and recommend than low public self-consciousness group when a tourist was present in the image. However, the low public self-consciousness group showed no difference depending on the presence of a tourist. This research not only is academically significant as it experimentally tested advertising effect depending on type of destination image and Facebook user's public self-consciousness, but also holds practical significance as it suggests advertisement method to consider consumer's predisposition.
SNS;Facebook;Tour Advertisement;Public Self-consciousness;Attitudes to the sights
- N. B. Ellison, C. Steinfield & C. Lampe. (2007). The benefits of Facebook "friends": Social capital and college students' use of online social network sites. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 12(4), 1143-1168. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2007.00367.x
- Korea Internet & Security Agency. (Nov, 20, 2015). Internet statistic report. Survey on the Internet Usage. http://isis.kisa.or.kr/
- Boyd, D. M, & Ellison, N. B. (2007). Social network sites: Definition, history and scholarship. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 13(1), 210-230. DOI : 10.1111/j.1083-6101.2007.00393.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2007.00393.x
- J. H. Doo & J. H. Kim (2012). The influence of Facebook ad type on advertising effect: Persuasion knowledge model and technology acceptance model. Korean Association for Advertising and Public Relations, 14(2), 300-330.
- Statista. (May, 27, 2019). Social Media & User-Generated Content, Internet. Most famous social network sites worldwide as of April 2019, ranked by number of active users. https://www.statista.com/statistics/272014/global-social-networks-ranked-by-number-of-users/
- K. Doherty & B. R. Schenker. (1991). Self-consciousness and strategic self presentation. Journal ol Personality, 59(1), 1-8. DOI : 10.1111/j.1467-6494.1991.tb00765.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6494.1991.tb00765.x
- J. Hong & M. Kang (2013). The effect of SNS use patterns on high school students’ self-esteem and public self-consciousness. Studies on Korean Youth, 24(3), 33-65.
- A. Fenigstein. (1979). Self-consciousness, self-attention, and social interaction. Journal ol Personality and Social Psychology, 37(1), 75-86. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.124
- R. G. Hass. (1984). Perspective taking and self-awareness: Drawing on E on you forehand. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 46(4), 788-798. DOI : 10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.528
- M. Shim, M. J. Lee & S. H. Park. (2008). Photograph use on social network sites among South Korean college students: The role of public and private self-consciousness. Cyber Psychology & Behavior, 11(4), 489-493. DOI : 10.1089/cpb.2007.0104. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2007.0104
- E. H. Erikson (1968). Identity: Youth and Crisis. NewYork : W. W. Norton & Company, Inc
- A. Fenigstein, M. F. Scheier & A. H. Buss. (1975). Public and private self-consciousness: Assessment and theory. Journal ol Counseling and Clinical Psychology, 43(4), 522-527. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0076760
- S. B. MacKenzie, J. R. Lutz, & G. E. Belch. (1989). An empirical examination of the structural antecedents of attitude toward the ad in advertising pretesting context. Journal of Marketing, 23(2), 48-65. DOI : 10.1177/002224298905300204.
- F. D. Davis (1989). Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of information technology. MIS Quarterly , 13(3), 319-340. DOI : 10.2307/249008. https://doi.org/10.2307/249008
- M. Chung, J. Yoo, & S. Jo (2007). Effects of Message Type and Product Involvement on Consumer's Attitude Change : Advertising vs Publicity. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 18(3), 29-51.