- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Study on seismic performance of steel frame with archaized-style under pseudo-dynamic loading
- Liu, Zuqiang (School of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology) ;
- Zhou, Chaofeng (School of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology) ;
- Xue, Jianyang (School of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology)
- Received : 2018.10.15
- Accepted : 2019.04.13
- Published : 2019.07.25
This paper presents an experimental study on a 1/2 scale steel frame with archaized-style under the pseudo-dynamic loading. Four seismic waves, including El Centro wave, Taft wave, Lanzhou wave and Wenchuan wave, were input during the test. The hysteresis characteristic, energy dissipation acceleration response, displacement response, strength, stiffness and strain were analyzed. Based on the experiment, the elastoplastic dynamic time-history analysis was carried out with the software ABAQUS. The stress distribution and failure mode were obtained. The results indicate that the steel frame with archaized-style was in elastic stage when the peak acceleration of input wave was no more than 400 gal. Under Wenchuan wave with peak acceleration of 620 gal, the steel frame enters into the elastoplastic stage, the maximum inter-story drift was 1/203 and the bearing capacity still tended to increase. During the loading process, Dou-Gong yielded first and played the role of the first seismic fortification line, and then beam ends and column bottom ends yielded in turn. The steel frame with archaized-style has good seismic performance and meets the seismic design requirement of Chinese code.
archaized building;steel frame;pseudo-dynamic test;seismic performance;elastoplastic time-history analysis;dynamic response
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Key Science and Technology Innovation Team of Shaanxi Province, China State Construction Engineering Corporation
- Blum, H.B. and Rasmussen, K.J.R. (2019), "Experimental and numerical study of connection effects in long-span cold-formed steel double channel portal frames", J. Constr. Steel Res., 155, 480-491. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2018.11.013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2018.11.013
- Cheng, M. and Wen, G. (2017), "Seismic behavior comparison of lateral force resisting system of steel structure", World Inform. Earthq. Eng., 33(1), 244-251.
- Dan, D. (2008), "Behavior and performance of cold-formed steel-frame houses under seismic action", J. Constr. Steel Res., 64(7), 896-913. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.01.029. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.01.029
- Gattesco, N. and Boem, I. (2015), "Seismic performances and behavior factor of post-and-beam timber buildings braced with nailed shear walls", Eng. Struct., 100(1), 674-685. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.06.057. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.06.057
- Ghasem, D.A. (2018), "A performance based strategy for design of steel moment frames under blast loading", Earthq. Struct., 15(2), 155-164. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2018.15.2.155. https://doi.org/10.12989/EAS.2018.15.2.155
- Jiang, S.F., Wu, M.H., Tang, W.J. and Liu, X.M. (2016), "Multiscale modeling method and seismic behavior analysis for ancient timber sutrctures", J. Build. Struct., 37(10), 44-53.
- Li, C.H., Tsai, K.C., Su, L. and Lin, P.C. (2018), "Experimental investigations on seismic behavior and design of bottom vertical boundary elements in multi-story steel plate shear walls", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 47(14), 2777-2801. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.3106. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.3106
- Lian, M., Su, M.Z. and Guo, Y. (2017), "Experimental performance of Y-shaped eccentrically braced frames fabricated with high strength steel", Steel Compos. Struct., 24(4), 441-453. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2017.24.4.441. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2017.24.4.441
- Negin, S., Karin, A., Mehdi, P. and Hassan, G. (2017), "An investigation of seismic parameters of low yield strength steel plate shear walls", Earthq. Struct., 12(6), 713-723. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2017.12.5.713. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2017.12.5.713
- Parisi, M.A. and Piazza, M. (2015), "Seismic strengthening and seismic improvement of timber structures", Constr. Build. Mater., 97(30), 55-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.05.093. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.05.093
- Qi, L.J., Xue, J.Y. and Leon, R.T. (2017), "Experimental and analytical investigation of transition steel connections in traditional-style buildings", Eng. Struct., 150, 438-450. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.07.062. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.07.062
- Sakr, M.A., Eladly, M.M., Khalifa, T. and El-Khoriby, S. (2019), "Cyclic behavior of infilled steel frames with different beam-tocolumn connection types", Steel Compos. Struct., 30(5), 443-4566. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2019.30.5.443. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2019.30.5.443
- Wang, Y.B., Li, G.Q. and Cui, W. (2014), "Seismic behavior of high strength steel welded beam-column members", J. Constr. Steel Res., 102, 245-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.07.015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.07.015
- Wu, X.Y. (2010), "Mechanical properties of Dingding gate steel structure component", Master Dissertation, Chang'an University, Xi'an, China. (in Chinese)
- Wang, L. (2012), "Comparative study on structural behavior between ancient structure and antique building of a Qing-style Hall", Master Dissertation, Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology, Xi'an, China. (in Chinese)
- Xue, J.Y., Ma, L.L., Wu, Z.J. and Gao, W.X. (2018), "Influence analysis of bracket set on seismic performance of steel eave columns in Chinese traditional style buildings", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 27(8), e1462. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1462. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1462
- Xue, J.Y., Wu, Z.J., Sui, Y. and Liu, Z.Q. (2015), "Experimental study on seismic performance of steel double-beams column exterior joints in antique style building", J. Build. Struct., 36(3), 80-89.
- Zhang, X.C., Xue, J.Y., Zhao, H.T. and Sui, Y. (2011), "Experimental study on Chinese ancient timber-frame building by shaking table test", Struct. Eng. Mech., 40(4), 453-469. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.40.4.453. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.40.4.453