- Volume 17 Issue 1
The present study aims to present a comprehensive understanding of the performance of neighboring multi-story buildings with different dynamic characteristics under blast loads. Two different scenarios are simulated in terms of explosion locations with respect to both buildings. To investigate the effect of interaction between the neighboring buildings in terms of the induced responses, the separation gap is set to be sufficiently small to ensure collisions between stories. An adequately large separation gap is set between the buildings to explore responses without collisions under the applied blast loads. Several blast loads with different peak pressure intensities are employed to perform the dynamic analysis. The finite-element toolbox Computer Aided Learning of the Finite-Element Method (CALFEM) is used to develop a MATLAB code to perform the simulation analysis. The dynamic responses obtained in the scenarios considered herein are presented comparatively. It is found that the obtained stories' responses are governed mainly by the location and intensity of the applied blast loads, separation distances, and flexibility of the attacked structures. Moreover, explosions near a light and flexible building may lead to a significant decrease in blast resistance because explosions severely influence the dynamic responses of the building's stories.
explosive loads;adjacent structures;separation gaps;pounding forces
- Anagnostopoulos, S.A. and Spiliopoulos, K.V. (1992), "An investigation of earthquake induced pounding between adjacent buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 21(4), 289-302. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290210402. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290210402
- Baker, W.E. (1973), Explosions in Air, Univ. of Texas Press, Austin TX USA.
- Bao, X.L. and Li, B. (2010), "Residual strength of blast damaged reinforced concrete columns", Int. J. Impact Eng., 37(3), 295-308. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2009.04.003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2009.04.003
- Chau, K.T. and Wei, X.X. (2001), "Pounding of structures modelled as non-linear impacts of two oscillators", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 30, 633-651. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.27. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.27
- Cosenza, E., Manfredi, G. and Ramasco, R. (1993), "The use of damage functionals in earthquake resistant design: a comparison among different procedures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 22(10), 855-868. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290221003
- Dyer, J., Raibagkar, A., Kolbe, M. and Salzano, E. (2012), "Blast damage consideration for horizontal pressure vessel and potential for domino effect", Chem. Eng. Tran., 26(1), 87-92. https://doi.org/10.3303/CET1226015.
- Elsanadedy, H.M., Almusallam, T.H., Alharbi, Y.R., Al-Salloum, Y.A. and Abbas, H. (2014), "Progressive collapse potential of a typical steel building due to blast attacks", J. Constr. Steel Res., 101, 143-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.05.005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.05.005
- Harris, C.M. and Piersol, A.G. (2002), Harris' Shock and Vibration Handbook, Eds. C.M. Harris and A.G. Piersol, McGraw-Hill publishing, New York.
- Jain, S., Tiwari, R., Chakraborty, T. and Matsagar, V. (2015), "Dynamic response of reinforced concrete wall under blast load", Ind. Concrete J., 89(8), 27-41.
- Jankowski, R. (2005), "Non-linear viscoelastic modelling of earthquake-induced structural pounding", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 34(6), 595-611. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.434. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.434
- Jankowski, R. (2006), "Analytical expression between the impact damping ratio and the coefficient of restitution in the non-linear viscoelastic model of structural pounding", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35(4), 517-524. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.537. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.537
- Kingery, C. and Bulmash, G. (1984), "Airblast parameters from TNT spherical air burst and hemispherical surface burst", Tech. Rep. ARBL-TR-02555, US Army BRL, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, USA.
- Kumar, M., Matsagar, V. and Rap, K. (2010), "Blast load on semiburied structures with soil-structure interaction", Proceedings of the IMPLAST Conference, October.
- Lopez-Garcia, D. and Soong, T.T. (2009), "Assessment of the separation necessary to prevent seismic pounding between linear structural systems", Prob. Eng. Mech., 24(2), 210-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.probengmech.2008.06.002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.probengmech.2008.06.002
- Mahmoud, S. (2014), "Blast loads induced response and the associated damage of buildings considering SSI", Earthq. Struct., 7(3), 349-365. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.3.349. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.3.349
- Mahmoud, S. (2016), "Dynamic response of adjacent buildings under explosive loads", Arab. J. Sci. Eng., 41(10), 4007-4018. ttps://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-016-2086-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-016-2086-6
- Maison, B.F. and Kasai, K. (1992), "Dynamics of pounding when two buildings collide", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 21(9), 771-786. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290210903. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290210903
- Park, Y.J. and Ang, A.H. (1985), "Mechanistic seismic damage model for reinforced concrete", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 111(4), 722-739. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1985)111:4(722). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1985)111:4(722)
- Powell, G.H. and Allahabadi, R. (1988), "Seismic damage prediction by deterministic methods: concepts and procedures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 16(5), 719-734. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290160507. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290160507
- Smith, P.D. and Hetherington, J.G. (1984), Blast and Ballistic Loading of Structures, Laxton's.
- Yan, B., Liu, F., Song, D.Y. and Jiang, Z.G. (2015), "Numerical study on damage mechanism of RC beams under close-in blast loading", Eng. Fail. Anal., 51, 9-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2015.02.007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2015.02.007
- Yao, S.J., Zhang, D., Lu, F.Y., Wang, W. and Chen, X.G. (2016), "Damage features and dynamic response of RC beams under blast", Eng. Fail. Anal., 62(4), 103-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2015.12.001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2015.12.001
- Zhang, D., Yao, S., Lu, F., Chen, X., Lin, G., Wang, W. and Lin, Y. (2013), "Experimental study on scaling of RC beams under close-in blast loading", Eng. Fail. Anal., 33, 497-504. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2013.06.020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2013.06.020