- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Lower Body Shape and Life Status of Elderly Women according to the Progress Group of Varus
노년 여성의 내반슬 진행집단에 따른 하반신 형태 및 생활실태 분석
- Jang, Ji Hyeon (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Jeong Ran (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Pusan National University/Research Institute of Ecology for the Elderly, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2019.02.11
- Accepted : 2019.04.05
- Published : 2019.06.30
This study categorized 100 female subjects over 65 years of age into two groups. The first group is called 'early stage of varus', which is when the gap between the knees is less than 5 cm. The second group is called 'progressive varus', which is when the gap between knees is 5 cm (or more). We then analyzed their lower body shapes and life status. The results were as follows. The average gap between knees in the early stage group and the progressive group was 3.3 cm and 6.2 cm. Direct and indirect measurements of their lower bodies showed that subjects in the progressive group had longer legs than the other group because their legs were bent outwards. Most of the subjects were found to live in western housing conditions, but maintained sedentary lifestyles. A total of 60% of the subjects thought that they were in bad health conditions and said that they found it difficult to move their knees dynamically; in addition, 63.6% of the subjects in the early stage group and 73.5% of the subjects in the progressive group suffered from arthritis. Subjects in the progressive group were more aware than the other group that their legs were bent outwards. They also responded that bent legs do harm to their appearance and make their lives uncomfortable. Most senior females with varus did not seek medical treatment and did not buy clothes that can help change their varus. However, 95% of the subjects responded they were in need for clothes that could straighten the varus-type.
gap between knees;varus;life status;elderly women
- Cha, S. J. (2017). Classification of the lower body shape of the elderly women using 3D data -Focused on 60's women-. Korean Society of Basic Design & Art, 18(4), 389-402.
- Han, S. M., Lee, K. K., Ha, S., & Sohn, J. H. (2011). The effects of correction exercise on hip joint angle, Q angle, and the distance between knees of genu varum patients. The Official Journal of the Korean Association of Certified Exercise Professionals, 13(1), 83-90.
- Jang, J. H., & Lee, J. R. (2017). Analysis on the lower body shape of the varus-typed elderly women. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 19(5), 569-578. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2017.19.5.569 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2017.19.5.569
- Kang, S. H., Lee, W. J., & Kim, T. Y. (2009). Possible effects of applying rehabilitation program upon bowlegged undergraduates' COG(Center of Gravity) oscillation and its correction. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, 35(2), 1061-1072.
- Kim, G. Y., & Lee, J. R. (2010). Perception of women aged 50's and 60's for high functional sliver wear. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(8), 1392-1402. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.8.1392 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.8.1392
- Kim, S. A., Lee, G. M., & Choe, H. S. (2003). Lower body somatotype classification and discrimination of elderly women according to index. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 53(6), 117-130.
- Koo, M. K., Choi, S. B., & Kim, S. E. (2012). Effects that chiropractic manipulation on posture by measuring foot pressure. Research Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 3, 24-43.
- Lee, H. J., Kim, J. Y., & Kim, J. (2006). A study on lower body somatotype for briefs design development of the elderly women (Part 2) - Focused on the women in the 60s and 70s in Jeonbuk. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 14(1), 79-92.
- 'O-Shaped leg correction-'reflexed leg' When you straighten your joint health will survive'. (2013, May 6). Gyeongnamnews. Retrieved January 28, 2016, from http://www.knnews.co.kr
- Park, H. W., Joo, S. Y., Park, J. S., Park, K. B., & Kim, H. W. (2007). Causes and srgical teatment of iiopathic gnu vra. The Journal of the Korean Othopaedic Asociation, 42(2), 264-269. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2007.42.2.264
- Won, J. W. (2002). Korea activities of daily laving scale and Korea instrumental activities of daily laving seale. Annals of Geriatric Medicine and Research, 6(1), 1-10.