- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Body Shape Classification of the Lower Body of Obese men in their 30's and 40's for Slacks Pattern Development
30~40대 비만 남성의 슬랙스 패턴개발을 위한 하반신 체형분류
- Sin, Sunmi (Dept. of Clothing and Textiles, Chonnam National University) ;
- Do, Wolhee (Dept. of Clothing and Textiles, Chonnam National University / University Industry Liaison Office of CNU Healthcare Ware R&BD Center / Research Institute of Human Ecology, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2018.12.24
- Accepted : 2019.03.29
- Published : 2019.06.30
This study provided data for classifying and characterizing the lower half of the body shape for obese adult men in their 30s and 40s. Data of 492 adult males who were obese with a WHO criteria of >25 BMI were used for analysis. The results of the study are as follows. Six factors extracted from the factorial analysis as independent factors for cluster analysis were classified into three types. Type 1 (65.4%) had the lowest height of the lower half of the body with short circumference and length. Type 2 (20.3%) had the lowest height of the lower half of the body with the largest thickness, width and circumference from the back to the hip, but short in length. Type 3 (14.2%) had the lowest height of the lower half of the body with medium height and waist-height; however, the curve from the waist to the hip was the largest with the largest waist circumference, hip circumference, and width and thickness of the lower half of the body. This study will help to design a slack pattern that utilizes body shape characteristics of men in their 30s and 40s. In a follow-up study, we analyze the slack pattern and educational pattern by the company and study the necessity for a slack pattern for obese males.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Choi, J. Y. (2015). Analysis of men's lower body figures and development of suit pnats patterns for MTM system. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyung-Hee University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. M. (2015). A study on the classification of lower body shapes of men in their 50s and 60s. Korea Society of Design Trend, 48(10), 455-464.
- Kim, Y. J. (2017, November 6). 점점 뚱뚱해지는 한국 성인 남성, 비만율 첫 40% 대 [Increasingly obese Korean men, obesity rate first 40%]. Hankyoreh. Retrieved July 23, 2018, from http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/PRINT/817658.html
- Korean agency for technology and standards. (2015). The 7th Size Korea. Retrieved June 15, 2018, from http://sizekorea.kats.go.kr
- Lee, B. N. (2012). (A) study on slacks pattern based on lower body type of obese men's. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Lee, B. N., & Suh, M. A. (2011). A classification of obese middle-aged men's lower body shapes. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 19(6), 1150-1162. https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2011.19.6.1150
- Lee, S. J. (2013). Classification of obese male's body types and development of torso pattern. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Lee, J. E., & Do, W. H. (2015). Lower body type classification of Korean men in their 30's for the development of slim-fit pants pattern. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 17(2), 227-236. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2015.17.2.227 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2015.17.2.227
- Lee, J. H., Jun, J. I., & Choi, K. M. (2013). Characteristics and classification of body type of adult men in their forties for automated pattern design. Journal of Korea Design Forum, 39, 325-336. doi:10.21326/ksdt.2013.39.029
- Lim, J. Y. (2009). Transactions : A development of size system for the abdomen-obese adult males according to the lower-body obesitytype analysis. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 11(6), 904-910.
- Li, M. J. (2018, July 26). 국민 3명중 1명 비만...OECD "韓고도비만 2030년가면 두 배" [One in three people obesity Obesity OECD "Korean extremely obesity Twice in 2030"]. JoongAng Ilbo. Retrieved December 21, 2018, from https://news.joins.com/article/22835940
- Nam, J. Y., Park, S. J., & Jnug, E. S. (2007). Categorization of the body types and their characteristics of obese Korean men. Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, 26(4), 103-111. https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2007.26.4.103
- Ryu, Y. S., & Oh, S. (2017). Classification of Korean elderly men's body types - Focused on aged 70 to 85 -. Journal of Korea Design Forum, 55, 63-74. doi:10.21326/ksdt.2017.55.005
- Ryu, E. J. (2013). (A) study on the development of patterns for school uniforms with consideration for the physical characteristics of obese male junior high school students. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Seong, O. J., & Ha, H. J. (2012). A study of middle aged obese men's body shapes - 35-55 years of age. Korean Society of Design Trend, 35, 39-50.