- Volume 44 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Reference X-ray Irradiation System for Personal Dosimeter Testing and Calibration of Radiation Detector
- Lee, Seung Kyu (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Chang, Insu (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Sang In (ARIM Science) ;
- Lee, Jungil (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Hyoungtaek (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Jang-Lyul (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Min Chae (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Received : 2019.02.20
- Accepted : 2019.05.13
- Published : 2019.06.30
Background: In the calibration and testing laboratory of Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, the old X-ray generator used for the production of reference X-ray fields was replaced with a new one. For this newly installed X-ray irradiation system, beam alignment as well as the verification of beam qualities was conducted. Materials and Methods: The existing X-ray generator, Phillips MG325, was replaced with YXLON Y.TU 320-D03 in order to generate reference X-ray fields. Theoretical calculations and Monte Carlo simulations were used to determine initial filter thickness. Beam alignment was performed in three steps to deliver a homogeneous radiation dosage to the target at different distances. Finally, the half-value layers were measured for different X-ray fields to verify beam qualities by using an ion chamber. Results and Discussion: Beam alignment was performed in three steps, and collimators and other components were arranged to maintain the uniformity of the mean air kerma rate within
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Korea Foundation Of Nuclear Safety (KoFONS)
- International Organization for Standardization. X and gamma reference radiation for calibrating dosimeters and dose rate meters and for determining their response as a function of photon energy-Part 1: Radiation characteristics and production methods. ISO 4037-1. 1996;4-12.
- American National Standard for Dosimetry. Personnel Dosimetry Performance-Criteria for Testing, ANSI/HPS N13.11-2009. 2009;13-18.
- Korea Association of Standards & Testing Organizations. Standard Calibration Procedure of Personal Dosimeter for X-ray. KASTO 17-80102-397. 2017;1-10.
- YXLON Technical data. Y.TU 320-D01/D03/D05.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology. NIST measurement services: Calibration of X-ray and gamma-ray measuring instruments. NIST Special Publication. 2001;250-258.