- Volume 31 Issue 2
Background Sasang constitutional medicine explains that the difference in eating habits depending on constitutional characteristics affects health status. The aim of the present study is to investigate research trend on Sasang constitution (SC) and eating habits. Method Research papers from 2010 to 2019 on SC and eating habits were searched in domestic and international 5 databases. As a result, 11 clinical studies related to the SC and eating habits were finally selected. From the finally selected research papers, subjects, study period, constitutional diagnostic tools used for studies, and eating habit evaluation tools were investigated. Results In a total of 11 research papers conducted as clinical studies regarding SC and eating habits for the recent 20 years, eating speed and meal size items were most frequently used, followed by the regularity of meals, unbalanced diets, breakfast. Taeumin was more likely to eat fast, eat a lot of food, or overeat while Soeumin was less likely to overeat or they eat less food. There was no significant difference in the regularity of meals depending on constitution, but each study showed different tendency. Conclusion This study closely reviewed Sasang constitutional eating habit items from the precedent studies to select the major items of eating habits as a constitutional health management index. The results of this study will contribute to selections of items and the development of tools to measure constitutional eating habits related to health status.
Sasang Constitutional medicine;Sasang Constitution;eating habits;Review
- Maugeri A, Kunzova S, Medina-Inojosa J, Agodi A, Barchitta M, Homolka M, et al. Association between eating time interval and frequency with ideal cardiovascular health: Results from a random sample Czech urban population. Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases. 2018;28(8):847-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.numecd.2018.04.002
- Jakubowicz D, Wainstein J, Landau Z, Raz I, Ahren B, Chapnik N, et al. Influences of breakfast on clock gene expression and postprandial glycemia in healthy individuals and individuals with diabetes: a randomized clinical trial. Diabetes care. 2017;40(11):1573-9. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc16-2753
- Farshchi H, Taylor M, Macdonald I. Regular meal frequency creates more appropriate insulin sensitivity and lipid profiles compared with irregular meal frequency in healthy lean women. European journal of clinical nutrition. 2004;58(7):1071. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601935
- Collins FS, Varmus H. A new initiative on precision medicine. New England journal of medicine. 2015; 372(9):793-5. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1500523
- Healthy People 2010: Conference Edition. US DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES. 2000.
- Lee Y, Kim S-H, Kim SL. Researches Trend of Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine in Sasang Constitution Field - from 2007 to 2010. Korea Journal of Oriental Medicine. 2012;18(1):59-74.
- Lee J. Longevity and Life Preservation in Oriental Medicine (translated by SH Choi). Kyung Hee Univ. Press, Seoul; 1996. (korean)
- Yu JS, The Preventive Thoughts of Sasang Constitutional Medicine. J Sasang Constitut med. 2018;30(1):7-13. (korean)
- Young KY, Ryowon C, Song IB, Lee EJ. The Clinical Effects of Sasang Constitutional Diets for the Hypercholestrolemic Patients. The Korean Journal of Nutrition. 2000;33(8):824-32. (korean)
- Kim YK, Cho MR, Chang R, Choue RW. Food Habits, Nutrients Intake, and Disease Distribution according to Sasang Constitutions in the Elderly Aged over 65 Years II. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition. 2002;7(1):76-85. (korean)
- Hong J-M, Yoon Y-S, Choi S-M. A Study of the Difference in Body Composition, Eating Habits and Dietary Intake in Three Sasang Constitutions among Elementary School Children. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition. 2002;7(1):67-75. (korean)
- Park G-S, Kim H-K. A Study on Eating Habits by Body Constitution Types of the Sasang Constitutional Medicine Among Female College Students. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 2003;32(2):302-6. (korean) https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.2.302
- Baek T-H, Park S-S. A Correlation Research of Appetite and Dining Habits According to Sasang Constitution. The Journal of Korean Medicine. 2004; 25(2):77-86. (korean)
- Jang E-S, Kim H-S, Lee H-J, Baek Y-H, Lee S-W. The Clinical Study on the Ordinary and Pathological Symptoms according to Sasang Constitution. Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine. 2007;19(3):144-55. (korean)
- Ko W-S, Kim K-S, Ko B-H, Lee E-J. The Study on Sasangin's Appearance and Eating Habit of Elementary School Students. Journal of Sasang Constitutional Medicine. 2007;19(1):116-26. (korean)
- Baek YH, Kim HS, Lee SW, Ryu JH, Kim YY, Jang ES. Study On the Ordinary Symptoms Characteristics of Gender Difference According to Sasang Constitution. Journal of Physiology & Pathology in Korean Medicine. 2009;23(1):251-8. (korean)
- Jin YH, Son YJ, Kim EH, Lee WK. A Study on the Differences in Eating Habits by Sasang Constitution Types. Culinary Science & Hospitality Research. 2009;15(1):1-15. (korean) https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr.2009.15.4.001001001
- Jang E-S, Kim Y-Y, Baek Y-H, Lee S-W. The Association between Seven Health Practices and Self Rated Health by Sasang Constitution. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2018;30(1):32-42. (korean)
- Kim S-H, Kim H-S, Lee S-W. Comparison of Lifestyle by Sasang Constitution Type and Health Status. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2018;30(1):24-31. (korean)
- Duc Pham D, Lee JC, Lee MS, Kim JY. Sasang types may differ in eating rate, meal size, and regular appetite:a systematic literature review. Asia Pacific journal of clinical nutrition. 2012;21(3):327.
- Bok H-J, Lee U-J. The Relationship between Intake of Food Unconformable to Each Sasang Constitution and Recognition of Irregular Symptoms of Health Condition. Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life. 2006;16(2):128-35. (korean)
- Cheon JS, Yim DK, Kim SM. Analysis of BMI and Food Preference by Sasang Constitutional Typology classified by SCAT2 and a Specialist. J Korean Soc Food Cult. 2018;33(2):186-98. (korean)
- Kim JS, Kim HJ, Kim JM, Kim EH. Intakes of Food and Nutrients According to Sa-Sang Constitution. The Korean Journal of Nutrition. 2004;37(2):153-61. (korean)
- Ahn YD, Shin KH. Comparison of Physical Activities and Calorie Consumption according to Sa-sang Constitution and Eating Habits in Participate in Sport. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies. 2008; 33(2):883-92. (korean)
- Shin HS, Park BJ, Lee JW, Kang MJ, Jang HS, Noh HO, et al. An Analysis of Eating Behaviors in Normal-Weight Males across Different Sasang Constitutional Types. J of Sasang Constitutional Medicine. 2010;22(3):110-21. (korean)
- Khan SM, Ko YS, You SE. Differences in Physical Fitness and Eating Attitude among Female University Students according to the Sasang Personality Questionnaire. The Asian Journal of Kinesiology. 2018;20(3):37-44. https://doi.org/10.15758/ajk.2018.20.3.37
- Jang JS, Kim KN. RESEARCH ARTICLE ; Development of a Questionnaire for Dietary Habit Survey of Korean Adults. KOREAN JOURNAL OF COMMUNITY NUTRITION. 2014;19(3):258-73. (korean) https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2014.19.3.258
- Lee, JS, Kim, HY, Hwang JY, et al. Development of Nutrition Quotient for Korean adults: item selection and validation of factor structure. Journal of Nutrition and Health. 2018;51(4):340-56. (korean) https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2018.51.4.340
- Paz-Graniel I BN, Mendez I, Salas-Salvado J. Association between Eating Speed and Classical Cardiovascular Risk Factors: A Cross-Sectional Study. Nutrients. 2019;11(1).
- Bing Zhu YH, Takashi Muto, and Takako Yamazaki. Association between eating speed and metabolic syndrome in a three-year population-based cohort study. J Epidemiol. 2015;25(4):332-6. https://doi.org/10.2188/jea.JE20140131
- Ha SA, Lee SY, Kim KA, Seo JS, Sohn CM, Park HR, et al. Eating habits, physical activity, nutrition knowledge, and self-efficacy by obesity status in upper-grade elementary school students. Nutrition research and practice. 2016;10(6):597-605. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2016.10.6.597
- Zandian M, Ioakimidis I, Bergh C, Brodin U, Sodersten P. Decelerated and linear eaters: effect of eating rate on food intake and satiety. Physiology behavior. 2009; 96(2):270-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2008.10.011
- Hawton K, Ferriday D, Rogers P, Toner P, Brooks J, Holly J, et al. Slow Down: Behavioural and Physiological Effects of Reducing Eating Rate. Nutrients. 2019;11(1):50.
- Pot GK, Almoosawi S, Stephen AM. Meal irregularity and cardiometabolic consequences: results from observational and intervention studies. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society. 2016;75(4):475-86. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665116000239
- Lee SH, Shim JS, Kim JY, Moon HA. The Effect of Breakfast Regularity on Eating Habits, Nutritional and Health Status in Adults. The Korean Journal of Nutrition. 1996;29(5):533-46. (korean)
- Kim SY, Park JE, Seo HJ, Seo HS, Son HJ, Shin CM, et al. NECA's guidance for undertaking systematic reviews and meta-analyses for intervention. National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency, 2011;7:1-279. (Korean)
Grant : 한의 유전체 역학 인프라 구축
Supported by : 한국한의학연구원