- Volume 34 Issue 3
This study examined the actual condition of middle school students' dining out based on the data of the 2016 youth food behavior inquiry data of the Korea Rural Economic Institute. The eating out behavior of 278 middle school students' according to gender, average eating-out cost per person, average monthly eating out cost per person, weekly frequency of breakfast, and dietary information source were calculated into a chi-square value by cross analysis. The main results of this study are as follows. First, in middle school students' eating-out status, most students answered 'eating out', and the highest frequency of eating out was 1~3 times a week. The reason for eating out was 'to enjoy delicious food', and 'costly price' was the most common reason for not eating out. Food taste was the most common standard for selecting eating out, and a restaurant was the most common place to eat out. The main restaurant was the 'snack bar (kimbap specialized store)'. Second, there was no significant difference in all items of eating-out status according to the gender. A significant difference in eating out frequency was observed according to average eating-out cost per once (p< .001), standard for selecting eating out (p< .001), main eating out places (p< .001), and main restaurants (p< .01). There was a significant difference in the frequency of eating out (p< .001) in the eating-out status according to average eating out cost per month. Third, the eating-out status according to the breakfast frequency of middle school students had a significant difference in the reason for eating out (p< .001). The eating-out status according to the dietary information source of middle school students had a significant difference in eating out or not (p< .05) and the frequency of eating out (p< .05). These results highlight the importance of school diet education so that middle school students can achieve healthy eating habits and plan to increase their interest and utilization of school dietary education.
Eating out;behavior;middle school students
- Bae EY. 2006. The Influence of Fast food on Food Culture and Development of Computer-assisted Nutrition Education program for Teenager. MS Thesis Changwon National University, Changwon, Korea
- Bae JH. 2009. Impacts of Mass Media Information on Nutrition on the Nutrition Knowledge and Dietary Behavior of Adolescents. MS Thesis. Konkuk University, Seoul, Korea
- Baek NS. 2010. Life Style, Food Habits and Snack Intake Behaviors of Middle School Students in Ulsan. MS Thesis University of Ulsan, Ulsan, Korea
- Baik YK, Kim KH, Byun HK. 2003. A study on dinning-out consumption behaviors of elementary school students in seoul. Journal of tourism sciences society of Korea, 5(2):95-118
- Cho EA, Lee SK, Heo GJ.(2010). Snack Consumption Behaviors and Nutrition Knowledge among Elementary School Students in Siheung-si. Journal of community nutrition. 15(2):169-179
- Cho EH. 2011. Comparison of knowledge on nutrition and dietary habits before and after nutrition education based on adolescent dietary guideline, MS Thesis University of Dankook, Korea
- Choi HR. 2011. A Survey of the Realities of After-school Dining-out Activity of Some Middle and High School Students in Seoul. MS Thesis Konkuk University, Seoul, Korea.
- Choi YS. 2008. A Study on Dining-out Behaviors of Middle School Students in Chuncheon Area. MS Thesis Kangwon National University, Chuncheon, Korea
- Hwang HH. 2009. A Study on the Status of Eating out Consumption and Menu Nutrition Labeling Perception in Restaurant of the Middle School Students. MS Thesis University of Ulsan, Ulsan, Korea
- Jo HY, Kim SA. 2004. Junior High and Senior High School Students from Different Regions=A Study on the Eating Out Behavior Patterns of Youth. J. Korean Soc. Food Cult., 19(3): 336-347
- Kim ES, Koh MS, Jung LH. 2005. A Study on the Recognition and Utilization on Food and Nutrition Section of Middle School Students. Journal of Korean Home Economics Education Association, 17(3):53-70
- Kim HJ. 2015. Studies on the current status of food purchasing and environmental factors influencing food purchasing attitudes of the middle school students in Daegu area. MS Thesis Graduate School of Education, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, Korea
- Kim MJ. 2008. A survey of dinning-out behaviors and menu preferences of university students in the seoul area. Korean J. Food Cookery sci., 24(4):525-535
- Kim SW. 2016. The effect of nutrition education on the dietary intake behavior and nutrition knowledge of adolescent, MS Thesis Graduate School of Education, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea
- Kim SJ. 2005. Analysis of viewing behaviors and needs for health information program on television. MS Thesis Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim YJ, Yang SJ. 2010. Analysis of Food Consumption Behavior and Satisfaction of Female College Students. The Social Science Research Institute Sangmyung University, Seoul, 23(1):1-26
- Lee KO, Cho EJ. 2013. Comparison of consumption of processed food and personality of middle school students on nutrition education. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42(10): 1600-1607
- Lee YS, Lim, HS, Ahn HS, Chang, NS. 2011. Nutrition through the life cycle. Gyomoon publishers. Paju, Korea
- Lee YK, Kim Y. 2014. The differences in preference for vegetables among primary school to university students in gyeongbuk area, Korean J Community Nutr 19(5):415-424
- Oh YJ. 2008. A Study on the Factors of Dietary Life Related to Breakfast in High School Students. MS Thesis Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan, Korea
- Park KM. 2009. Studies on the Relationship between Adolescents Eating behaviors for Breakfast and Snack in Seoul. MS Thesis Konkuk University, Seoul, Korea
- Park IY. 2003. A comparison of middle school students' knowledge of nutrition and eating behaviors before and after studying the unite of eating habits in Technical studieshome economics. MS Thesis Dongguk University, Seoul, Korea
- Yu SM. 2015. A Study on Eating Habits and Snake Intake of Some Middle School Students in Ulsan Area. MS Thesis Kyungnam University, Changwon, Korea.
- Yun YR. 2007. Effects of Nutrition Education through Discretional Activities in Middle School. MS Thesis Honam Univiersity, Gwangju, Korea
- Korea rural economic institute. 2016. Youth food behavior inquiry. http://foodsurvey.krei.re.kr/