- Volume 23 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Response Modification Factors of Non-seismic School Buildings Considering Short Column Effects and Natural Period
단주효과 및 고유주기를 고려한 비내진 학교시설의 반응 수정계수
- Kim, Beom Seok (Department of Architectural Design and Engineering, Incheon National University) ;
- Park, Ji-Hun (Division of Architecture and Urban Design, Incheon National University)
- Received : 2019.02.26
- Accepted : 2019.05.03
- Published : 2019.07.01
Response modification factors of school facilities for non-seismic RC moment frames with partial masonry infills in 'Manual for Seismic Performance Evaluation and Retrofit of School Facilities' published in 2018 were investigated in the preceding study. However, since previous studies are based on 2D frame analysis and limited analysis conditions, additional verification needs to be performed to further apply various conditions including orthogonal effect of seismic load. Therefore, this study is to select appropriate response modification factors of school facilities for non-seismic RC moment frames with partial masonry infills by 3D frame analysis. The results are as follows. An appropriate response modification factor for non-seismic RC moment frames with partial masonry infills is proposed as 2.5 for all cases if the period is longer than 0.6 seconds. Also if the period is less than 0.4 seconds and the ratio of shear-controlled columns is less than 30%, 2.5 is chosen too. However, if the period is less than 0.4 seconds and the ratio of shear-controlled columns is higher than 30%, the response modification factor shall be reduced to 2.0. If the period is between 0.4 and 0.6 seconds, then linearly interpolates the response correction factor.
Non-seismic school buildings;Seismic performance evaluation;Response modification factor;Partial masonry infill
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Ministry of Education. School Facilities Seismic Design Standard Amendment Bill. c2018.
- Ministry of Education. Seismic performance evaluation and retrofit manual for school facilities. c2018.
- Architectural Institute of Korea. Korean Building Code 2016. 2016.
- Woo KS, Park SS. A Study on Seismic Performance of a RC Moment Frame Building. Architectural Institute of Korea J. 2008 Aug;24(8):13-20.
- Jeong WJ, Song HS. Study on the Response Modification Factor for Dual-frame Systems with Intermediate Moment Frames. Architectural Institute of Korea J. 2011;31(2):89-90.
- Han SW, Oh YH, LH. Investigation on Response Modification Factor of RC Structural Walls in Apartment Buildings. Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute. 2001 Oct;13(6):544-552.
- Han AR, Kim TW, Yu EJ. Proposition of Response Modification Factor of Low-rise Steel Intermediate Moment Frame in Korea using FEMA P695. EESK J. Earthquake Eng. 2014 Nov;18(1):37-43.
- FEMA P695, Quantification of Building Seismic Performance Factors, Federal Emergency Management Agency. c2009.
- Architectural Institute of Korea. Korean Building Code 2009. 2009.
- Kang CK, Choi BJ. New Approach to Evaluate the Response Modification Factors for Steel Moment Resisting Frames, International of Steel Structures J. 2011;11(3):275-286. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-011-3003-1
- Abdollahzadeh Gh, Banihashemi MR, Elkaee S, Esmaeelnia Amiri M. Response Modification Factor of Dual Moment-resistant Frame with Buckling Restrained Brace (BRB). Steel and Composite Structures J. 2013;14(6):621-636. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.14.6.621
- Fanaie N, Shamloua SO. Response modification factor of mixed structures, Steel and Composite Structures J, 2015;19(6):1449-1466. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.19.6.1449
- Kim BS, Park JH. Response Modification Factors for Seismic Performance Evaluation of Non-seismic School Buildings with Partial Masonry Infills. EESK J. Earthquake Eng. 2019 Jan;23(1):71-82.
- Elwood, K. J. Jack P. Moehle. Shake Table Tests and Analytical Studies on the Gravity Load Collapse of Reinforced Concrete Frames. c2004.