- Volume 52 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Cordyceps militaris supplementation on the immune response and upper respiratory infection in healthy adults: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study
건강한 성인을 대상으로 면역증강 및 상기도 감염 예방에 대한 동충하초주정추출물의 유효성 평가 : 이중맹검 플라세보 대조 연구
- Jung, Su Jin (Clinical Trial Center for Functional Foods, Chonbuk National University Hospital) ;
- Hwang, Ji Hyun (Clinical Trial Center for Functional Foods, Chonbuk National University Hospital) ;
- Oh, Mi Ra (Clinical Trial Center for Functional Foods, Chonbuk National University Hospital) ;
- Chae, Soo Wan (Clinical Trial Center for Functional Foods, Chonbuk National University Hospital)
- 정수진 (전북대학교병원 기능성식품임상시험지원센터) ;
- 황지현 (전북대학교병원 기능성식품임상시험지원센터) ;
- 오미라 (전북대학교병원 기능성식품임상시험지원센터) ;
- 채수완 (전북대학교병원 기능성식품임상시험지원센터)
- Received : 2019.01.25
- Accepted : 2019.04.15
- Published : 2019.06.30
Purpose: Upper respiratory tract infections are major causes of the common cold throughout the world. Cordyceps militaris (C. militaris) is a well-known functional food for its anti-fatigue and immunomodulating activities. On the other hand, there are no reports on the protective effect against upper respiratory tract infections (URI). This study was a 12 week randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled trial in healthy volunteers. Methods: A total of 100 subjects 20 ~ 70 years of age with a history of at least two colds in the year were enrolled in the study. The participants were required to record any adverse events and rate any cold-related incidents in a diary during the investigation period. The efficacy end point was the symptoms and incidence of URI, and changes in cytokines, IgA and natural killer (NK) cell activity. Results: The Cordyceps militaris group over 12 weeks showed no significant impact on the incidence and symptomatology of URI compared to the placebo group. On the other hand, the experimental group showed significantly higher NK cell activity (p = 0.047) and IgA level (p = 0.035) compared to the placebo group. The NK-cell activity and IgA level were increased significantly by Cordyceps militaris over 12 weeks. Conclusion: The results suggest the possible beneficial immunomodulating effects, but the protective effects on URI could not be demonstrated under these conditions. Additional research will be needed to determine the efficacy and mechanisms of Cordyceps militaris function.
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science and Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Heikkinen T, Jarvinen A. The common cold. Lancet 2003; 361(9351): 51-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)12162-9
- Fendrick AM, Monto AS, Nightengale B, Sarnes M. The economic burden of non-influenza-related viral respiratory tract infection in the United States. Arch Intern Med 2003; 163(4): 487-494. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.163.4.487
- Eccles R. Understanding the symptoms of the common cold and influenza. Lancet Infect Dis 2005; 5(11): 718-725. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(05)70270-X
- Johnston S, Holgate S. Epidemiology of viral respiratory tract infections. In: Myint S, Taylor-Robinson D, editors. Viral and Other Infections of the Human Respiratory Tract. London: Chapman & Hall; 1996. p.1-38.
- National Health Insurance Service (KR). Classifieds disease compensation and health care costs [Internet]. Wonju: National Health Insurance Service; 2014 [cited 2018 August 20]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=350&tblId=DT_35001_A071111.
- Kim JA, Park JH, Kim BY, Kim DS. The trend of acute respiratory tract infections and antibiotic prescription rates in outpatient settings using health insurance data. Korean. Korean J Clin Pharm 2017; 27(3): 186-194. https://doi.org/10.24304/kjcp.2017.27.3.186
- Hung YF, Thomason MJ, Rhys-williams W, Lloyd AW, Hanlon GW. Chiral inversion of 2-phenylpropionic acid by cordyceps militaris. J Appl Bacteriol 1996; 81(3): 242-250. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1996.tb04324.x
- Iwashima A, Kawasaki Y, Nosaka K, Nishimura H. Effect of thiamin on cordycepin sensitivity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett 1992; 311(1): 60-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-5793(92)81367-U
- Lee H, Yang M, Park T. Inhibitory effect of Cordyceps Militaris water extracts on sarcoma-180 cell-induced ascities tumor in ICR mice. Korean J Nutr 2003; 36(10): 1022-1029.
- Shin S, Moon S, Park Y, Kwon J, Lee S, Lee CK, et al. Role of cordycepin and adenosine on the phenotypic switch of macrophages via induced anti-inflammatory cytokines. Immune Netw 2009; 9(6): 255-264. https://doi.org/10.4110/in.2009.9.6.255
- Yue K, Ye M, Lin X, Zhou Z. The artificial cultivation of medicinal Caterpillar fungus, Ophiocordyceps sinensis (ascomycetes): a review. Int J Med Mushrooms 2013; 15(5): 425-434. https://doi.org/10.1615/IntJMedMushr.v15.i5.10
- Guan YJ, Hu Z, Hou M. Effect of Cordyceps sinensis on T-lymphocyte subsets in chronic renal failure. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 1992; 16(6): 338-339, 323.
- Bao ZD, Wu ZG, Zheng F. Amelioration of aminoglycoside nephrotoxicity by Cordyceps sinensis in old patients. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 1994; 14(5): 271-273, 259.
- Kuo YC, Tsai WJ, Shiao MS, Chen CF, Lin CY. Cordyceps sinensis as an immunomodulatory agent. Am J Chin Med 1996; 24(2): 111-125. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X96000165
- Kim GY, Ko WS, Lee JY, Lee JO, Ryu CH, Choi BT, et al. Water extract of Cordyceps militaris enhances maturation of murine bone marrow-derived dendritic cells in vitro. Biol Pharm Bull 2006; 29(2): 354-360. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.29.354
- Lee HH, Park H, Sung GH, Lee K, Lee T, Lee I, et al. Anti-influenza effect of Cordyceps militaris through immunomodulation in a DBA/2 mouse model. J Microbiol 2014; 52(8): 696-701. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12275-014-4300-0
- Kang IS, Kim HJ, Lee TH, Kwon YS, Son MW, Kim CK. Effects of Cordyceps militaris on immune activity. Yakhak Hoeji 2014; 58(2): 81-90.
- Kang HJ, Baik HW, Kim SJ, Lee SG, Ahn HY, Park JS, et al. Cordyceps militaris enhances cell-Mediated immunity in healthy Korean men. J Med Food 2015; 18(10): 1164-1172. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2014.3350
- Nan JX, Park EJ, Yang BK, Song CH, Ko G, Sohn DH. E\Antifibrotic effect of extracellular biopolymer from submerged mycelial cultures of Cordyceps militaris on liver fibrosis induced by bile duct ligation and scission in rats. Arch Pharm Res 2001; 24(4): 327-332. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02975101
- Stone EA, Quartermain D. Greater behavioral effects of stress in immature as compared to mature male mice. Physiol Behav 1997; 63(1): 143-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9384(97)00366-1
- Won SY, Park EH. Anti-inflammatory and related pharmacological activities of cultured mycelia and fruiting bodies of Cordyceps militaris. J Ethnopharmacol 2005; 96(3): 555-561. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2004.10.009
- Kiho T, Hui J, Yamane A, Ukai S. Polysaccharides in fungi. XXXII. Hypoglycemic activity and chemical properties of a polysaccharide from the cultural mycelium of Cordyceps sinensis. Biol Pharm Bull 1993; 16(12): 1291-1293. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.16.1291
- Kiho T, Yamane A, Hui J, Usui S, Ukai S. Polysaccharides in fungi. XXXVI. Hypoglycemic activity of a polysaccharide (CS-F30) from the cultural mycelium of Cordyceps sinensis and its effect on glucose metabolism in mouse liver. Biol Pharm Bull 1996c19(2): 294-296. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.19.294
- de Vrese M, Winkler P, Rautenberg P, Harder T, Noah C, Laue C, et al. Probiotic bacteria reduced duration and severity but not the incidence of common cold episodes in a double blind, randomized, controlled trial. Vaccine 2006; 24(44-46): 6670-6674. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2006.05.048
- Kurugöl Z, Akilli M, Bayram N, Koturoglu G. The prophylactic and therapeutic effectiveness of zinc sulphate on common cold in children. Acta Paediatr 2006; 95(10): 1175-1181. https://doi.org/10.1080/08035250600603024
- Roll S, Nocon M, Willich SN. Attenuation of common cold symptoms by encapsulated juice powder concentrate. Eur J Integr Med 2010; 2(4): 213.
- Jawad M, Schoop R, Suter A, Klein P, Eccles R. Safety and efficacy profile of Echinacea purpurea to prevent common cold episodes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012; 2012: 841315.
- Vitetta L, Coulson S, Beck SL, Gramotnev H, Du S, Lewis S. The clinical efficacy of a bovine lactoferrin/whey protein Ig-rich fraction (Lf/IgF) for the common cold: a double blind randomized study. Complement Ther Med 2013; 21(3): 164-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2012.12.006
- Predy GN, Goel V, Lovlin R, Donner A, Stitt L, Basu TK. Efficacy of an extract of North American ginseng containing poly-furanosyl-pyranosyl-saccharides for preventing upper respiratory tract infections: a randomized controlled trial. CMAJ 2005; 173(9): 1043-1048. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.1041470
- Barrett B, Locken K, Maberry R, Schwamman J, Brown R, Bobula J, et al. The Wisconsin Upper Respiratory Symptom Survey (WURSS): a new research instrument for assessing the common cold. J Fam Pract 2002; 51(3): 265.
- Orange JS, Ballas ZK. Natural killer cells in human health and disease. Clin Immunol 2006; 118(1): 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clim.2005.10.011
- Watters RJ, Liu X, Loughran TP Jr. T-cell and natural killer-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia neoplasias. Leuk Lymphoma 2011; 52(12): 2217-2225. https://doi.org/10.3109/10428194.2011.593276
- Bar-On Y, Seidel E, Tsukerman P, Mandelboim M, Mandelboim O. Influenza virus uses its neuraminidase protein to evade the recognition of two activating NK cell receptors. J Infect Dis 2014; 210(3): 410-418. https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jiu094
- Sato N, Kikuchi S, Sato K. Quantifying the stress induced by distress in patients with lumbar disc herniation in terms of natural killer cell activity measurements: chromium release assay versus multiparameter flow cytometric assay. Spine 2002; 27(19): 2095-2100. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200210010-00004
- Culley FJ. Natural killer cells in infection and inflammation of the lung. Immunology 2009; 128(2): 151-163. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2567.2009.03167.x
- Macpherson AJ, McCoy KD, Johansen FE, Brandtzaeg P. The immune geography of IgA induction and function. Mucosal Immunol 2008; 1(1): 11-22. https://doi.org/10.1038/mi.2007.6
- Rai A, Nast C, Adler S. Henoch-Schonlein purpura nephritis. J Am Soc Nephrol 1999; 10(12): 2637-2644.
- Muller WE, Weiler BE, Charubala R, Pfleiderer W, Leserman L, Sobol RW, et al. Cordycepin analogues of 2',5'-oligoadenylate inhibit human immunodeficiency virus infection via inhibition of reverse transcriptase. Biochemistry 1991; 30(8): 2027-2033. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi00222a004
- Delacroix DL, Dive C, Rambaud JC, Vaerman JP. IgA subclasses in various secretions and in serum. Immunology 1982; 47(2): 383-385.