- Volume 28 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Layers of Non-woven Fabric on the Growth and Flowering of Edile Flower Tropaeolum majus L. in the Vertical Greening System for Lower Maintenance Urban Agriculture
저관리 도시농업을 위한 벽면녹화 부직포 처리가 식용꽃인 한련화(Tropaeolum majus L.)의 생육과 개화에 미치는 영향
- Park, Jae-Hyeon (Korea Forest Seed & Variety Center) ;
- Yoon, Young-Han (Department of Green Technology Convergence, College of Science Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, Jae-Man (Department of Green Technology Convergence, Graduate School of Konkuk University) ;
- Song, Hee-Yeon (Department of Green Technology Convergence, Graduate School of Konkuk University) ;
- Ju, Jin-Hee (Department of Green Technology Convergence, College of Science Technology, Konkuk University)
- 박재현 (국립산림품종관리센터) ;
- 윤용한 (건국대학교 녹색기술융합학과) ;
- 이재만 (건국대학교 대학원 녹색기술융합학과) ;
- 송희연 (건국대학교 대학원 녹색기술융합학과) ;
- 주진희 (건국대학교 녹색기술융합학과)
- Received : 2019.03.13
- Accepted : 2019.05.07
- Published : 2019.06.30
Tropaeolum majus, with a high decorative and food demand for vertical greening systems, has been utilized to revitalize urban agriculture. The effects of number of non-woven fabrics in a non-water environment and the adaptability of T. majus to this system were investigated. Planting ground composition of the container-type wall vertical greening system was made using non-woven fabric in one, two, three, or four layers. The results showed that the soil water content remained the highest when the non-woven fabric comprised 4 sheets. The morphological properties showed more growth with the 4 sheets than with 1, 2, and 3 sheets. In terms of physiological characteristics, chlorophyll content was mostly high in the 4 sheets, while shoot fresh weight value was in the order of 3 > 4 > 2 > 1 sheet, and root fresh weight value was in the order of 4 > 2 > 1 > 3 sheets. The dry weight of the measured values in the shoot was in the order of 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 sheet while no clear difference was found in the root of each treatment. The difference in the flowring characteristics was not different, but in evaluating the characteristics as a whole, the growth in the three layers of non-waven fabric was the best. In addition, the soil moisture contents and the growth characteristics were statistically significant as a positive correlation between the groups. Thus, greater the non-woven fabric, the higher is the adaptability of T. majus to dry stress under soil water-free conditions by maintaining soil moisture content. This showed that it represented an effective alternative as a method of vertical greening system for lower maintenance urban agriculture.
- Alvarez, S., Sanchez-Blanco, M. J., 2013, Changes in growth rate, root morphology and water use efficiency of potted Callistemon citrinus plants in response to different levels of water deficit, Sci. Hortic., 156, 54-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2013.03.024
- Christenhusz, M. J. M., 2012, Curtis's Botanical Magazine (Tropaeolum majus), R. Bot. Gard., 29(4)th California Islands Symposium (DK Garcelon a, 331-340.
- Engle, J. M., Miller, K. A., 2005, Distribution and morphology of eelgrass (Zostera marina L.) at the california channel Islands, Proceedings of the Sixnd Agric. Food Secur., 4(1), 1-11.
- Fedoroff, N. V., 2015, Food in a future of 10 billion, aintenance, J. People. Plants. Environ., 18(5), 371-378. https://doi.org/10.11628/ksppe.2015.18.5.371
- Ju, J. H., Kim, H. R., Kim, W. T., Chol, E. Y., Yoon, Y. H., 2015, Plant growth assessment of flowering shrub species in a vertical greenery system with different cover materials and substrates for low mCA Schwemm, eds), 405-414.
- Ju, J. H., Yang, J., Park, J. Y., Yoon, Y. H., 2018, The role of cover material in soil water retention and growth of Tropaeolum majus and Fragaria spp. by vertical farming using hanging baskets in urban agriculture, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 27(5), 291-297. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2018.27.5.291
- Kalantari, F., Mohd Tahir, O., Mahmoudi Lahijani, A., Kalantari, S., 2017, A Review of vertical farming technology: a guide for implementation of building integrated agriculture in cities, Adv. Eng. Forum, 24, 76-91. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AEF.24.76
- Kim, T. G., Park, M. H., Heo, J. N., 2010, Vision and assignment for the urban agriculture, Kor. Rural Econ. Inst., 1-133.
- Klok, P. F., van der Velde, G., 2017, Plant traits and environment: floating leaf blade production and turnover of waterlilies, PeerJ, 5, 1-22.
- Lee, G. W., Jeong, Y. N., Min, B. H., Kim, S. Y., 2014, Study of improving the biotope area ratio system for urban agriculture vitalization-focus on daylight condition analysis, J. Kor. Acad. Ind. Soc., 15(12), 7393-7402.
- Lee, H. J., Lee, S. J., 2013, Performance evaluation and growth condition study about green-wall system using moss, J. Archit. Inst. Kor. Plann. Des., 29(1), 239-246.
- Lee, J. A., You, E. H., Kim, K. J., Kwon, H. J., Song, J. S., 2011, Effect of storage film type on quality maintenance in edible flower, Flower Res. J., 19(4), 212-218.
- Oh, J. H., Kim, D. Y., 2017, Fire-resistant green-wall system for traditional markets, J. Archit. Inst. Kor. Struct. Constr., 33(11), 27-33. https://doi.org/10.5659/JAIK_SC.2017.33.11.27
- Park, Y. J., Kim, H. J., Choi, K. H., Baek, S. H., Park, S. H., Kang, S.S., 2007, Effect of sowing time on growth and flowering of nasturtium, Kor. J. Hortic. Sci. Technol., 25, 120.
- Ryu, J. H., Lee, H. B., Kim, C. M., Jung, H. H., Kim, K. S., 2014, Cold tolerance of ground cover plants for use as green roofs and walls, Kor. J. Hortic. Sci. Technol., 32(5), 590-599.
- Shin, Y. S., Lee, J. E., Yeon, I. K., Cheung, J. D., Choi, S. Y., Lee, K. D., 2009, Effect of nonwoven fabrics materials on the growth and yield of korea melon (Cucumis melo L. var. makuwa Mak.), Prot. Hortic. Plant. Fact., 18(2), 101-106.
- Shin, Y. S., Park, S. D., Do, H. W., Bae, S. G., Kim, J. H., Kim, B. S., 2005, Effect of double layer nonwoven fabrics on the growth, quality and yield of oriental melon(Cucumis melo L. var. makuwa Mak.) under vinyl house, Prot. Hortic. Plant. Fact., 14(1), 22-28.
- Silva, M. D. A., Pincelli, R. P., Barbosa, A. D. M., 2018, Water stress effects on chlorophyll fluorescence and chlorophyll content in sugarcane cultivars with contrasting tolerance, Biosci. J., 34(1), 75-87.
- Song, X. P., Tan, H. T., Tan, P. Y., 2018, Assessment of light adequacy for vertical farming in a tropical city, Urban For. Urban Green., 29, 49-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2017.11.004