- Volume 28 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Mean Velocity Distribution of Natural Stream using Entropy Concept in Jeju
엔트로피 개념을 이용한 제주도 상시하천의 평균유속분포 추정
- Yang, Se-Chang (Jeju Special self-governing provincial council) ;
- Yang, Sung-Kee (Department of Civil Engineering, Jeju National University) ;
- Kim, Yong-Suk (Department of Civil Engineering, Jeju National University)
- Received : 2019.01.28
- Accepted : 2019.05.31
- Published : 2019.06.30
We computed parameters that affect velocity distribution by applying Chiu's two-dimensional velocity distribution equation based on the theory of entropy probability and acoustic doppler current profiler (ADCP) of Jungmun-stream, Akgeun-stream, and Yeonoe-stream among the nine streams in Jeju Province between July 2011 and June 2015. In addition, velocity and flow were calculated using a surface image velocimeter to evaluate the parameters estimated in the velocity observation section of the streams. The mean error rate of flow based on ADCP velocity data was 16.01% with flow calculated using the conventional depth-averaged velocity conversion factor (0.85), 6.02% with flow calculated using the surface velocity and mean velocity regression factor, and 4.58% with flow calculated using Chiu's two-dimensional velocity distribution equation. If surface velocity by a non-contact velocimeter is calculated as mean velocity, the error rate increases for large streams in the inland areas of Korea. Therefore, flow can be calculated precisely by utilizing the velocity distribution equation that accounts for stream flow characteristics and velocity distribution, instead of the conventional depth-averaged conversion factor (0.85).
- Chiu, C. L., 1987, Entropy and probability conception hydraulics, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 133(5), 583-599.
- Chiu, C. L., 1988, Entropy and 2-D velocity distribution in open channels, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 114(10), 783-756. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1988)114:7(783)
- Chiu, C. L., 1989, Velocity distribution in open channel flow, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 115(5), 576-594. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1989)115:5(576)
- Choo, T. H., 2002, A Method od Discharge Measurement using the Entropy Concept( Based on the Maximum Velocity), Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 22(4B), 495-505.
- Choo, T. H., Je, S. J., 2006, A Study on the maximum velocity and the surface velocity, Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 4(1), 351-355.
- Kim, S. J., Ryu, K. G., Youn, B. M., 2011, Real-time discharge measurement of the river using fixed-type surface image velocimetry, Magazine of Korea Water Resources Association, 44(5), 377-388. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2011.44.5.377
- Muste, M., Vermeyen, T., Hotchkiss, R., Oberg, K., 2007, Acoustic Velocimentry for Riverine Environments," Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 115, 925-936.
- RDI, 1996, Acoustic Doppler Current Profilers-Principle of operation, a practical primer. San Diego, CA, Instruments.
- SonTek, 2010, Doppler Velocity Log for ROV/AUV Applications, SonTek Newsletter, 6(1), SonTek, SanDiego, CA.