- Volume 39 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Total Digestible Nutrients Level of Concentrates on Growth Performance, Carcass Characteristics, and Meat Composition of Korean Hanwoo Steers
- Ahn, Jun Sang (Hanwoo Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Son, Gi Hwal (Dept. of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Min Ji (Dept. of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Choi, Chang Six (Kangwon Livestock Technology Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Chang Woo (Kangwon Livestock Technology Research Institute) ;
- Park, Joong Kook (Nonghyup Feed Co., LTD.) ;
- Kwon, Eung Gi (Hanwoo Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Shin, Jong Suh (Dept. of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Park, Byung Ki (Nonghyup Feed Co., LTD.)
- Received : 2019.03.14
- Accepted : 2019.04.05
- Published : 2019.06.30
This study was conducted to investigate the effect of the total digestible nutrients (TDN) level of commercial concentrates on growth performance, carcass characteristics, and meat composition of late fattening Hanwoo steers. A total of 28 steers were randomly assigned to one of four dietary groups; T1 (73.30% TDN), T2 (74.50% TDN), T3 (76.40% TDN), and T4 (77.10% TDN). Average daily gain (ADG) was slightly but not significantly higher in the T2 than in the other treatments. Dry matter intake (DMI) and feed conversion ratio (FCR) were higher in the T2 than in the other treatments; however, the differences were not statistically significant. Carcass back fat thickness was thicker in the T4 and marbling score was higher in the T2 than in the other treatments; however, the differences were not statistically significant. The TDN level of concentrates had no effect on the physicochemical characteristics and fatty acid composition of the longissimus muscle. The finding of this study indicate that less than 74% or greater than 75% TDN in the commercial concentrate did not contribute to improve ADG, FCR, marbling score; therefore, in the present study, the recommendable TDN level in the commercial concentrate for late fattening period was 74% to 75% in terms of growth performance and marbling score of Hanwoo steer.
Supported by : National Institute of Animal Science
- Ahn GC, Kwak HJ, Oh YK, Lee YK, Jang SS, Lee SS, Park KK. 2016. Characteristics of wet distillers grains on in vitro ruminal fermentation and its effects on performance and carcass characteristics of finishing Hanwoo steers. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 29:530-538. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0673
- Andersen HR, Ingvartsen KL. 1984. The influence of energy level, weight at slaughter and castration on growth and feed efficiency in cattle. Livest Prod Sci 11:559-569. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(84)90071-X
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists [AOAC]. 2005. Official methods of analysis of AOAC international. 18th ed. AOAC International, Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- Carstens GE, Johnson DE, Ellenberger MA, Tatum JD. 1991. Physical and chemical components of the empty body during compensatory growth in beef steers. J Anim Sci 69:3251-3264. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.6983251x
- Cho WG, Lee SJ, Ko YH, Chang IS, Lee SS, Moon YH. 2013. Effects of dietary type during late fattening phase on the growth performance, blood characteristics and carcass traits in Hanwoo steers. J Anim Sci Technol 55:443-449. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2013.55.5.443
- Chung KY, Chang SS, Lee EM, Kim HJ, Park BH, Kwon EG. 2015. Effects of high energy diet on growth performance, carcass characteristics, and blood constituents of final fattening Hanwoo steers. Korean J Agric Sci 42:261-268. https://doi.org/10.7744/cnujas.2015.42.3.261
- Chung KY, Lee SH, Cho SH, Kwon EG, Lee JH. 2018. Current situation and future prospects for beef production in South Korea-A review. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 31:951-960. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.18.0187
- Demeyer D, Hoozee J, Mesdom H. 1974. Specificity of lipolysis during dry sausage ripening. J Food Sci 39:293-296. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1974.tb02878.x
- Demos BP, Gerrard DE, Mandigo RW, Gao X, Tan J. 1996. Mechanically recovered neck bone lean and ascorbic acid improve color stability of ground beef patties. J Food Sci 61:656-659. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1996.tb13180.x
- Faustman C, Sun Q, Mancini R, Suman SP. 2010 Myoglobin and lipid oxidation interactions: Mechanistic bases and control. Meat Sci 86:86-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.04.025
- Folch J, Lees M, Stanley GHS. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissues. J Biol Chem 226:497-509.
- Guignot F, Touraille C, Ouali A, Renerre M, Monin G. 1994. Relationships between post-mortem pH changes and some traits of sensory quality in veal. Meat Sci 37:315-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90049-3
- Hall MB. 2009. Determination of starch, including maltooligosaccharides, in animal feeds: Comparison of methods and a method recommended for AOAC collaborative study. J AOAC Int 92:42-49. https://doi.org/10.1093/jaoac/92.1.42
- Hofmann AW, White WM. 1982. Mantle plumes from ancient oceanic crust. Earth Planet Sci Lett 57:421-436. https://doi.org/10.1016/0012-821X(82)90161-3
- Hong BC. 2016. Analyses of optimal feeding period to improve productivity for Hanwoo cattle farm. Ph.D. dissertation, Kangwon National Univ., Chuncheon, Korea.
- Hwang JA, Islam MM, Ahmed ST, Mun HS, Kim GM, Kim YJ, Yang CJ. 2014. Seamustard (Undaria pinnatifida) improves growth, immunity, fatty acid profile and reduces cholesterol in Hanwoo steers. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 27:1114-1123. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2014.14072
- Jeong J, Seong NI, Hwang IK, Lee SB, Yu MS, Nam IS, Lee MI. 2010. Effects of level of CP and TDN in the concentrate supplement on growth performances and carcass characteristics in Hanwoo steers during final fattening period. J Anim Sci Technol 52:305-312. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.4.305
- Jin GL, Kim JK, Qin WZ, Jeong J, Jang SS, Sohn YS, Choi CW, Song MK. 2012. Effect of feeding whole crop barley silageor whole crop rye silage based-TMR and duration of TMR feeding on growth, feed cost and meat characteristics of Hanwoo steers. J Anim Sci Technol 54:111-124. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.2.111
- Ki KS, Lim YS, Jin ZL, Lee HJ, Kim SB, Lee WS, Yang SH, Cho WM, Kim HS, Jeo JM, Lee ID. 2009. Effect of crude protein and total digestible nutrient levels on intake, digestibility, nitrogen and energy utilization in growing dairy goats. J Korean Soc Grassl Forage Sci 29:269-276. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2009.29.3.269
- Kim BK. 2006. Effects of feeding high quality roughage (timothy hay) during growing period on growth performance and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steers. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 26:212-217.
- Kim JH. 2015. Studies on the effect of finishing feeding regimen on the performance, carcass grade and economic analysis in Hanwoo steers. M.S. thesis, Gyeongnam National Univ., Jinju, Korea.
- Kim KH, Ra CS, Shin JS. 2000. Relationship between blood metabolites and both growth and carcass traits in Korean cattle. Ann Anim Resour Sci 11:133-144.
- Kim MJ. 2018. A study on relationship of blood metabolites and carcass traits in Hanwoo steers. M.S. thesis, Kangwon National Univ., Chuncheon, Korea.
- Kim YG. 1998. Studies on the meat quantity and quality characteristics by growing ages and feeding treatments in Korean native bulls or steers. Ph.D. dissertation, Gyeongsang National Univ., Jinju, Korea.
- Kim YJ. 2011. Effect of the palatability, physico-chemical properties and microbial determinants of Hanwoo meat with different marbling scores during refrigeration. M.S. thesis, Sangji Univ., Wonju, Korea.
- Kim YS, Liang CY, Kim JY, Park YS, Hwang HS, Lee SK. 2002. Effects of dietary vitamin E and selenium supplementation on meat color stability of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) bull beef during retail display. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 22:108-114.
- Krishnamoorthy U, Muscato TV, Sniffen CJ, Van Soest PJ. 1982. Nitrogen fractions in selected feedstuffs. J Dairy Sci 65:217-225. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(82)82180-2
- Krzywicki K. 1979. Assessment of relative content of myoglobin, oxymyoglobin and metmyoglobin at the surface of beef. Meat Sci 3:1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(79)90019-6
- Lee CR. 2017. Effects of energy-enriched concentrate on growth performance and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo strees. M.S. thesis, Kyungpook National Univ., Sangju, Korea.
- Lee JH. 2005. Effect of the optimum energy levels and fattening periods for beef quality and tield in hanwoo steers. M.S. thesis, Gyeongsang National Univ., Jinju, Korea.
- Lee JM, Choe JH, Jin HJ, Kim TI, Park BY, Hwang DY, Koh KC, Kim CJ, Hwang KS. 2012. Effect of marbling score on carcass grade factors, physico-chemical and sensory traits of M. longissimus dorsi in Hanwoo. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 32:659-668. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.5.659
- Lee JM, Choi JH, Park HK, Kim YH, Park BY, Kim KT, Koh KC, Seo SC, Hwang KS. 2011. Effect of backfat thickness on the carcass grade factors and carcass price in Hanwoo cows and steers. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 31:280-289. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.2.280
- Lee JM, Park BY, Cho SH, Kim JH, Yoo YM, Chae HS, Choi YI. 2004. Analysis of carcass quality grade components and chemicophysical and sensory traits of M. longissimus dorsi in Hanwoo. J Anim Sci Technol 46:833-840. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2004.46.5.833
- Lee SM, Chang SS, Jung KY, Kim HC, Choi SH, Kwon EG, Park BK, Yang BS, Lee SS, Cho YM. 2013. Effects of feeding patterns of concentrate on growth performance, blood parameters and carcass characteristics in fattening Hanwoo cows. J Anim Sci Technol 55:33-39. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2013.55.1.33
- Lee SM, Son JI. 2011. Effect of dietary cracked whole barley on the meat compositional properties of Hanwoo steer loin beef. J Anim Sci Technol 53:357-365. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2011.53.4.357
- Licitra G, Hernandez TM, Van Soest PJ. 1996. Standardization of procedures for nitrogen fractionation of ruminant feeds. Anim Feed Sci Tech 57:347-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(95)00837-3
- Lorenzo JM, Pateiro M. 2013. Influence of type of muscles on nutritional value of foal meat. Meat Sci 93:630-638. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.11.007
- Martin TG, Mollett TA, Stewart TS, Erb RE, Malven PV, Veenhuizen EL. 1979. Comparison of four levels of protein supplementation with and without oral diethylstilbestrol on blood plasma concentrations of testosterone, growth hormone and insulin in young bulls. J Anim Sci 49:1489-1496. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1979.4961489x
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs [MAFRA]. 2017. Grade rule for cattle carcass in Korea. Korea Ministry of Government Legislation. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/main.htm. Accessed Nov 30, 2017.
- NRC. 2001. Nutrient requirement of dairy cattle. 7th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Otto F, Vilela F, Harun M, Taylor G, Baggasse P, Bogin E. 2000. Biochemical blood profile of Angoni cattle in Mozambique. Isr J Vet Med 55:95-102.
- Paek BH, Hong SG, Kwon EG, Cho WM, Yoo YM, Shin KJ. 2005. Effects of energy level of concentrate feed on meat quality and economic evaluation in finishing Hanwoo steers. J Anim Sci Technol 47:447-456. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.3.447
- Rossi CAS, Compiani R. 2016. Ruminal acidosis of beef cattle and related diseases. Large Anim Rev 22:273-279.
- Ryu CH. 2017. Investigation of the relationship dietary crude protein and energy levels, and growth performance and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo using statistical meta-analysis. Ph.D. dissertation, Chonbuk National Univ., Cheongju, Korea.
- Smith SB, Crouse JD. 1984. Relative contributions of acetate, lactate and glucose to lipogenesis in bovine intramuscular and subcutaneous adipose tissue. J Nutr 114:792-800. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/114.4.792
- Smith SB, Gill CA, Lunt DK, Brooks MA. 2009. Regulation of fat and fatty acid composition in beef cattle. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 22:1225-1233. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.r.10
- Van Soest PJ, Robertson JB, Lewis BA. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J Dairy Sci 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Witte VC, Krause GF, Bailey ME. 1970. A new extraction method for determining 2-thiobarbituric acid values of pork and beef during storage. J Food Sci 35:582-585. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1970.tb04815.x
- Wulf DM, Page JK. 2000. Using measurements of muscle color, pH, and electrical impedance to augment the current USDA beef quality grading standards and improve the accuracy and precision of sorting carcasses into palatability groups. J Anim Sci 78:2595-2607. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.78102595x
- Yoon JH, Won JI, Lee KS, Kim JB, Lee JK. 2013. Estimation of resonable market month of age for Hanwoo steer. J Anim Sci Technol 55:405-416. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2013.55.5.405
- Yoshimura T, Namikawa K. 1983. Influence of breed, sex anatomical location on lipid and fatty acid composition of bovine subcutaneous fat. Jpn J Zootech Sci 54:97-105.