- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Chemical enhancement of footwear impressions in urine on the surface of tiles
- Kim, Sung Jin (Graduate School of Forensic Science, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Hong, Sungwook (Graduate School of Forensic Science, Soonchunhyang University)
- Received : 2019.04.24
- Accepted : 2019.05.31
- Published : 2019.06.25
Enhancement of footwear impressions in urine on the surface of tiles by using p-dimethylaminocinnamaldehyde (DMAC), which react with urea, and ninhydrin, 1,8-diazafluoren-9-one (DFO), 1,2-indanedione/zinc (1,2-IND/Zn), which react with amino acid, was studied. As a result of comparing the application methods of reagents, the ninhydrin and the 1,2-IND/Zn were suitable for application with spray method, which is spray directly on footwear impression, DFO and DMAC were suitable for application with dry contact method, which is applying heat with press to DMAC impregnated paper on footwear impression. In addition, DMAC applied with dry contact method showed best contrast and enhancement result in both white and black colored tiles by comparing of the sensitivity by different dilution ratio of urine and the aging time of footwear impressions in urine. And the result of applied with DMAC (with dry contact method) on the floor tiles collected at various places in a building's men's and women's bathrooms, it can be successfully enhanced that footwear impressions in urine. So it is believed that the method can be used to recover footwear impressions in urine from real crime scenes.
p-dimethylaminocinnamaldehyde;footwear impressions in urine;enhancement;dry contact method
Supported by : Soonchunhyang University
- W. J. Bodziak, 'Footwear Impression Evidence: Detection, Recovery and Examination', 2nd Ed., CRC Press, 2000.
- W. J. Bodziak, L. Hammer, G. M. Johnson, and R. Schenck, Determining the significance of outsole wear characteristics during the forensic examination of footwear impression evidence, J. Forensic Identif., 62(3), 254-278 (2012).
- S. N. Srihari, 'Analysis of Footwear Impression Evidence', US DoJ Report, 2011.
- W. J. Bodziak, Inf. Bull. Shoeprint Toolmark Exam., 6(1), 73-75 (2000).
- M. J. Cassidy, 'Footwear identification', Ottawa: Public Relations Branch of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, 1980.
- A. Jamieson and A. Moenssens, 'Wiley Encyclopedia of Forensic Science', John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
- R. J. Davis, Can. Soc. Forensic Sci. J., 21(3), 98-105 (1988). https://doi.org/10.1080/00085030.1988.10756967
- C. Roberson and M. Birzer, 'Introduction to criminal investigation', CRC Press, 2016.
- W. J. Bodziak, 'Tire tread and tire track evidence: recovery and forensic examination', CRC Press, 2008.
- K. Carlsson, Inf. Bull. SP/TM Exam., 4(1), 109-120 (1997).
- Med., Biochem. Res. Soc., 'Fundamental medical biochemistry', 2nd Ed., Chung Ku, 2017.
- S. Ruhemann, J. Chem. Soc. Trans., 97, 1438-1449 (1910). https://doi.org/10.1039/CT9109701438
- M. M. Joullie, T. R. Thompson, and N. H. Nemeroff, Tetrahedron., 47(42), 8791-8830 (1991). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-4020(01)80997-2
- A. C. Pounds, R. Grigg, and T. Mongkolaussavaratana, J. Forensic Sci., 35(1), 169-175 (1990).
- R. Grigg, T. Mongkolaussavaratana, C. A. Pounds, and S. Sivagnanam, Tetrahedron Letters., 31(49), 7215-7218 (1990). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-4039(00)97283-6
- R. Ramotowski, A. A. Cantu, M. M. Joullie, and O. Petrovskaia, Fingerpr. Whorld, 23, 131-140 (1997).
- D. B. Hauze, O. Petrovskaia, B. Taylor, M. M. Joullie, R. Ramotowski, and A. A. Cantu, J. Forensic Sci., 43(4), 744-747 (1998).
- M. Stoilovic, C. Lennard, C. Wallace-Kunkel, and C. Roux, J. Forensic Identif., 57(1), 4 (2007).
- R. Ramotowski, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Fingerprint Detection and Identification, Isr. Natl. Pol. Neurim, Israel, 26-30 (1996).
- J. R. Morris, G. C. Goode, and J. W. Godsell, Pol. Res. Bull., 21, 31-36 (1973).
- R. Ramotowski, 'Lee and Gaensslen's Advances in Fingerprint Technology', 3rd Ed., CRC Press, 2012.
- J. S. Yu, A. R. Kim, and S. Lim, Korean Pol. Stud. Asso., 11(3), 171-184 (2012).
- K. J. Farrugia, H. Bandey, S. Bleay, and N. NicDaeid, Forensic Sci. Int., 214(1-3), 67-81 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2011.07.020
- K. J. Farrugia, H. Bandey, L. Dawson, and N. N. Daeid, J. Forensic Sci., 58(6), 1472-1485 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1111/1556-4029.12209
- R. Jelly, E. L. Patton, C. Lennard, S. W. Lewis, and K. F. Lim, Anal. Chim. Acta., 652(1-2), 128-142 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2009.06.023