- Volume 23 Issue 6
The number of cable-stayed bridges has been increasing worldwide, causing issues in maintaining the structural safety and integrity of bridges. The stay cable, one of the most critical members in cable-stayed bridges, is vulnerable to wind-induced vibrations owing to its inherent low damping capacity. Thus, vibration mitigation of stay cables has been an important issue both in academia and practice. While a semi-active control scheme shows effective vibration reduction compared to a passive control scheme, real-world applications are quite limited because it requires complicated equipment, including for data acquisition, and power supply. This study aims to develop an Arduino-based integrated cable vibration control system implementing a semi-active control algorithm. The integrated control system is built on the low-cost, low-power Arduino platform, embedding a semi-active control algorithm. A MEMS accelerometer is installed in the platform to conduct a state feedback for the semi-active control. The Linear Quadratic Gaussian control is applied to estimate a cable state and obtain a control gain, and the clipped optimal algorithm is implemented to control the damping device. This study selects the magnetorheological damper as a semi-active damping device, controlled by the proposed control system. The developed integrated system is applied to a laboratory size cable with a series of experimental studies for identifying the effect of the system on cable vibration reduction. The semi-active control embedded in the integrated system is compared with free and passive mode cases and is shown to reduce the vibration of stay-cables effectively.
stay-cable bridge;vibration control;control algorithm;Arduino;magneto-rheological (MR) damper
- Aly, A.M. (2013), "Vibration control of buildings using magnetorheological damper: a new control algorithm", J. Eng., 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/596078.
- Chen, Z.Q., Wang, X.Y., Ko, J.M., Ni, Y.Q., Spencer, Jr,, B.F., Yang, G. and Hu, J.H. (2004), "MR damping system for mitigating wind-rain induced vibration on Dongting Lake Cable-Stayed Bridge", Wind Struct., 7(5), 293-304. http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/was.2004.7.5.293. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2004.7.5.293
- Duan, Y.F., Ni, Y.Q. and Ko, J.M. (2005), "State-derivative feedback control of cable vibration using semiactive magnetorheological dampers", Comput.-Aided Civil Infrastruct. Eng., 20(6), 431-449. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8667.2005.00396.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8667.2005.00396.x
- Duan, Y.F., Ni, Y.Q. and Ko, J.M. (2006), "Cable vibration control using magnetorheological dampers", J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Struct., 17(4), 321-325. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X06054997
- Dyke, S.J., Spencer, Jr., B.F., Sain, M.K. and Carlson, J.D. (1996), "Modeling and control of magnetorheological dampers for seismic response reduction", Smart Mater. Struct., 5(5), 565. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/5/5/006
- Fujino, Y., Kimura, K. and Tanaka, H. (2012), "Cable vibrations and control methods", In Wind Resistant Design of Bridges in Japan (197-229). Springer Japan.
- Huang, H., Sun, L. and Jiang, X. (2012), "Vibration mitigation of stay cable using optimally tuned MR damper", Smart Struct. Syst., 9(1), 35-53. http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/sss.2012.9.1.035. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2012.9.1.035
- Johnson, E.A., Baker, G.A., Spencer, Jr., B.F. and Fujino, Y. (2007), "Semiactive damping of stay cables", J. Eng. Mech., 133(1), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2007)133:1(1). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2007)133:1(1)
- Johnson, E.A., Christenson, R.E. and Spencer, Jr,, B.F. (2003), "Semiactive damping of cables with sag", Comput. -Aided Civil Infrastruct. Eng., 18(2), 132-146. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8667.00305. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8667.00305
- Johnson, E.A., Baker, G.A., Spencer, Jr,, B.F. and Fujino, Y. (2000, April), "Mitigating stay cable oscillation using semiactive damping", In Smart Structures and Materials 2000: Smart Systems for Bridges, Structures, and Highways (Vol. 3988, 207-217). International Society for Optics and Photonics.
- Li, H., Liu, M., Li, J., Guan, X. and Ou, J. (2007), "Vibration control of stay cables of the shandong binzhou yellow river highway bridge using magnetorheological fluid dampers", J. Bridge Eng., 12(4), 401-409. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2007)12:4(401). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2007)12:4(401)
- Liu, M., Li, H., Li, J., Guan, X. and Ou, J. (2006), "Experimental investigation on vibration control of one stay cable using one magnetorheological fluid damper", In Smart Structures and Materials 2006: Sensors and Smart Structures Technologies for Civil, Mechanical, and Aerospace Systems (Vol. 6174, 61740R). International Society for Optics and Photonics.
- Maslanka, M., Sapinski, B. and Snamina, J. (2007), "Experimental study of vibration control of a cable with an attached MR damper", J. Theor. Appl. Mech., 45(4), 893-917.
- Irvine, H.M. (1981), Cable structures, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- Shimada, T. (1994), "Estimating method of cable tension from natural frequency of high mode", Doboku Gakkai Ronbunshu, 1994(501), 163-171.
- Sun, Z., Dyke, S.J., Pena, F. and Wilbee, A. (2015, March), "Development of Arduino based wireless control system", In Sensors and Smart Structures Technologies for Civil, Mechanical, and Aerospace Systems 2015 (Vol. 9435, 94351D). International Society for Optics and Photonics.
- Sun, Z., Ou, G., Dyke, S.J. and Lu, C. (2017), "A state estimation method for wireless structural control systems", Struct. Control Health Monit., 24(6). https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1929.
- Watson, S.C. and Stafford, D. (1988), "Cables in trouble", Civil Eng., 58(4), 38.
- Weber, F., Distl, H., Feltrin, G. and Motavalli, M. (2005, September), "Simplified approach of velocity feedback for MR dampers on real cable-stayed bridges", Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Cable Dynamics.
- Wu, W.J. and Cai, C.S. (2006), "Experimental study of magnetorheological dampers and application to cable vibration control", J. Vib. Control, 12(1), 67-82. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546306061128. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546306061128
- Wu, Z.H., Lou, W.J., Chen, Y., Chen, Y.Y., Tang, J.C. and Sun, B.N. (2004), "Simplified model of MR damper and its application", J. Disaster Prevent Mitigation Eng., 24(2), 210-213.
- Zhou, H. and Sun, L. (2013), "Damping of stay cable with passive-on magnetorheological dampers: a full-scale test", Int. J. Civil Eng., 11(3), 154-159.
- Zhou, H., Qi, S., Yao, G., Zhou, L., Sun, L. and Xing, F. (2017), "Damping and frequency of a model cable attached with a pretensioned shape memory alloy wire: Experiment and analysis", Struct. Control Health Monit., 25(2), e2106. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.2106.
Supported by : Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport