- Volume 6 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Aerodynamic assessment of airfoils for use in small wind turbines
- Okita, Willian M. (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Energy Department, State University of Campinas) ;
- Ismail, Kamal A.R. (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Energy Department, State University of Campinas)
- Received : 2019.02.05
- Accepted : 2019.03.30
- Published : 2019.03.25
A successful blade design must satisfy some criterions which might be in conflict with maximizing annual energy yield for a specified wind speed distribution. These criterions include maximizing power output, more resistance to fatigue loads, reduction of tip deflection, avoid resonance and minimize weight and cost. These criterions can be satisfied by modifying the geometrical parameters of the blade. This study is dedicated to the aerodynamic assessment of a 20 kW horizontal axis wind turbine operating with two possible airfoils; that is
small wind turbine;blade element momentum;chord distribution;twist angle distribution;horizontal axis wind turbine;annual energy production
- Bai, C. and Wang, W. (2016), "Review of computational and experimental approaches to analysis of aerodynamic performance in horizontal-axis wind turbines (HAWTs)", Renew. Sust. Energy, 63, 506-519. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2016.05.078
- Burton, T. (2001), Wind Energy Handbook, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, U.K.
- Capellaro, M. and Cheng, P. (2014), "An iterative method to optimize the twist angle of a wind turbine rotor blade", Wind Eng., 38(5), 489-498. https://doi.org/10.1260/0309-524X.38.5.489
- Ceyhan, O. (2008), "Aerodynamic design and optimization of horizontal axis wind turbines by using BEM theory and genetic algoritm", M.Sc. Dissertation, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Chehouri, A., Younes, R., Ilinca, A. and Perron, J. (2015), "Review of performance optimization techniques applied to wind turbines", Appl. Energy, 142, 361-388. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.12.043
- De Vries, O. (1979), Fluid Dynamic Aspects of Wind Energy Conversion, AGARD Report AG-243, 1-50.
- Glauert, H (1935), Airplane Propellers in Aerodynamic Theory. Springer, Berlin, Dover Publications, Inc., New York, U.S.A., 251-269.
- Gupta, R.K., Warudkar, V., Purohit, R. and Rajpurohitc, S.S. (2017), "Modeling and aerodynamic analysis of small scale, mixed airfoil horizontal axis wind turbine blade", Mater. Today Proc., 4(4), 5370-5384. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2017.05.049
- Hand, M.M., Simms, D.A., Fingersh, L.J., Jager, D.W., Cotrell, J.R., Schreck, S. and Larwood, S.M. (2001), Unsteady Aerodynamics Experiment Phase VI: Wind Tunnel Test Configurations and Available Data Campaigns National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Colorado, U.S.A.
- Hansen, M.O.L. (2008), Aerodynamics of Wind Turbines, Earthscan, London, U.K.
- Hassanzadeh, A., Hassanabad, A. and Dadvand, A. (2016), "Aerodynamic shape optimization and analysis of small wind turbine blades employing the Viterna approach for post-stall region", Alexandria Eng. J., 55(3), 2035-2043. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aej.2016.07.008
- Hau, E. (2006), Wind Turbine, Fundamentals, Technologies, Application, Economics, Springer, Berlin, Germany.
- Hernandez, J. and Crespo, A. (1987), "Aerodynamic calculation of the performance of horizontal axis wind turbines and comparison with experimental result", Wind Eng., 11(4), 77-187.
- Jonkman, J., Butterfield, S., Musial, W. and Scott, G. (2009), Definition of a 5-MW Reference Wind Turbine for Offshore System Development, National Renewable Energy Lab.(NREL), Golden, Colorado, U.S.A.
- Karthikeyan, N. and Suthakar, T. (2016), "Computational studies on small wind turbine performance characteristics", Proceedings of the 27th IUPAP Conference on Computational Physics (CCP2015), Guwahati, India, December.
- Karthikeyan, N., Murugavel, K.K., Kumar, S.A. and Rajakumar, S. (2015), "Review of aerodynamic developments on small horizontal axis wind turbine blade", J. Renew. Sust. Energy, 42, 801-822. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.10.086
- Liu, X., Wang, L. and Tang, X. (2013), "Optimized linearization of chord and twist angle profiles for fixedpitch fixed-speed wind turbine blades", Renew. Energy, 57, 111-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2013.01.036
- Maniaci, D. and Schmitz, S. (2016), "Extended glauert tip correction to include vortex rollup effects", J. Phys. Conf. Ser., 753(2).
- Messina, L.M. (2007), "Fluid dynamics wind turbine design: Critical analysis, optimization and application of BEM theory", Renew. Energy, 32(14), 2291-2305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2006.12.010
- Okita, W.M. Ismail, K.A.R. and Moura, L.F.M. (2018), "Aerodynamic performance and annual energy production of small horizontal axis windmill using different airfoils", Proceedings of the International Conference on Rotor Dynamics, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, September.
- Olczak, A., Stallard, T., Feng, T. and Stansby, P.K. (2016), "Comparison of a RANS blade element model for tidal turbine arrays with laboratory scale measurements of wake velocity and rotor thrust", J. Fluids Struct., 64, 87-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2016.04.001
- Purushothaman, M., Valarmathi, T.N. and Praneeth, S. (2016), "Selection of twist and chord distribution of horizontal axis wind turbine in low conditions", IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng., 149(1).
- Rocha, P.A.C., Araujo, J.W.C., Lima, R.J.P., Silva, M.E.V., Albiero, D., Andrade, C.F. and Carneiro, F.O.M. (2018), "The effects of blade pitch angle on the performance of small-scale wind turbine in urban environments", Energy, 148, 169-178, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2018.01.096
- Sahin, A.Z., Al-Garni, A.Z. and Al-Farayedhi, A. (2001), "Analysis of a small horizontal axis wind turbine performance", Int. J. Energy Res., 25(6), 501-506. https://doi.org/10.1002/er.699
- Schubel, P.J. and Crossley, R.J. (2012), "Wind turbine blade fesign", Energies, 5(9), 3425-3449. https://doi.org/10.3390/en5093425
- Sharifi, A. and Nobari, M.R.H. (2013), "Prediction of optimum section pitch angle distribution along wind turbine blades", Energy Convers. Manage., 67, 342-350. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2012.12.010
- Shen, W.Z., Mikkelsen, R., Sorensen, J.N. and Bak, C. (2005), "Tip loss corrections for wind turbine computations", Wind Energy, 8(4), 457-475. https://doi.org/10.1002/we.153
- Shen, X., Yang, H., Chen, J., Zhu, X. and Du, Z. (2016), "Aerodynamic shape optimization of non-straight small wind turbine blades", Energy Convers. Manage., 119, 266-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.04.008
- Singh, R.K., Ahmeda, M.R., Zullahb, M.A. and Lee, Y. (2012), "Design of a low reynolds number airfoil for small horizontal axis wind turbines", Renew. Energy, 42, 66-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2011.09.014
- Sudhamshu, A.R., Pandey, M.C., Sunil, N., Satish, N.S., Mugundhan, V. and Velamati, R.K. (2016), "Numerical study of effect of pitch angle on performance characteristics of a HAWT", Eng. Sci. Technol. Int., 19(1), 632-641. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jestch.2015.09.010
- Tahani, M., Maeda, T., Babayan, N., Mehrnia, S., Shadmehri, M., Lib, Q., Fahimia, R. and Masdari, M. (2017), "Investigating the effect of geometrical parameters of an optimized wind turbine blade in turbulent flow", Energy Convers. Manage., 153, 71-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2017.09.073
- Tang, X., Huang, X., Peng, R. and Liu, X. (2015), "A direct approach of design optimization for small horizontal axis wind turbine blades", Procedia CIRP, 36, 12-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2015.01.047
- Tummala, A., Velamati, R.K., Sinha, D.K., Indraja, V. and Krishna, V.H. (2016), "A review on small scale wind turbines", Renew. Sust. Energy, 56, 1351-1371. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.12.027
- Vaz, J R.P., Pinho, J.T. and Mesquita, A.L A. (2011), "An extension of BEM method applied to horizontal-axis wind turbine design", Renew. Energy, 36(6), 1734-1740. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2010.11.018
- Vaz, J.R.P. and Wood, D.H. (2016), "Aerodynamic optimization of the blades of diffuser-augmented wind turbines", Energy Convers. Manage., 123, 35-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.06.015
- Wang, L., Tang, X. and Liu, X., (2012), "Optimized chord and twist angle distributions of wind turbine blade considering Reynolds number effects", Proceedings of the International Conference on Wind Energy: Materials, Engineering and Policies, Hyderabad, India, November.
- Wilson, R.E. and Lissaman, P.B.S. (1974), "Applied aerodynamics of wind power machines", Oregon State University Report NSF/RA/N-74113.
- Wind Energy Atlas of the State of Sao Paulo (2012), Secretary of Energy of the State of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil.