- Volume 19 Issue 3
Building Information Modeling (BIM) and modular construction are regarded as important technologies that have contributed to advancements in the construction industry. However, the utilization of BIM in current modular construction projects is limited; moreover, there are no specific guidelines pertaining the applications of BIM in modular construction projects. Therefore, this study aims to analyze the utilization of BIM for onsite construction planning in modular construction projects. First, a realistic BIM application was selected through literature review and expert interviews. Then, the construction plan of the modular projects was analyzed to classify the BIM application items into five different categories. The utilization of BIM in each category was then analyzed in terms of necessity and efficiency using a questionnaire. Finally, the BIM Utilization Index (BIM UI) was suggested based on the findings of the survey. As a results, the BIM UI for module point details, lifting plan, other installation details, site layout plan, and schedule plan was 0.811, 0.787, 0.770, 0.729, and 0.699, in the descending order of usability. In addition, through the findings of the study and interviews with experts, a case study for implementation of BIM in modular construction plan was conducted. The results of this study can be used as application guidelines for BIM in future modular construction projects.
modular construction;construction planning;building Information modeling;off-site construction
- Andras M. The lure of modular construction-assessing the advantages and risks [Internet]. Virginia: IPA Newsletter; 2015 Nov. Available from: https://www.ipaglobal.com/news/article/the-lure-of-modular-construction-assessing-the-advantages-and-risks/
- Abanda FH, Tah JHM, Cheung, FKT. BIM in off-site manufacturing for buildings. Journal of Building Engineering. 2017 Oct;14:89-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2017.10.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2017.10.002
- Choi OK, Lee HS, Park MS, Hyun HS. Quantity management model for manufacturing and assembly of lagre-scale modular construction projects during construction phase. Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 2018 Jan;19(1):43-53. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2018.19.1.043
- Shin HK, Kim SY, Ahn YH. Giel B. Decision model of construction errors management based on modular method construction process. Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 2017 Nov;18(6):98-108. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2017.18.6.098
- Shin HK, Ahn YH. Modular building construction process development by benchmarking international best practices. Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 2016 Nov;17(6):3-12. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2016.17.6.003
- Kim JH, Park MS, Lee HS, Hyun HS. Alternative evaluation model for tower crane operation plan in modular construction-focusing on modular unit installation and finishing works. Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 2018 Mar;19(2):50-60. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2018.19.2.050
- Lee DW, Hyun HS, Park MS, Lee HS. Tower crane location and capacity selection model for the mid-to-high-rise modular construction. Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Structure and Construction. 2016 Nov;32(11):27-36. https://doi.org/10.5659/JAIK_SC.2016.32.11.27
- Han SH, Hasan S, Bouferguène A, Al-Hussein M, Kosa J. Utilization of 3D visualization of mobile crane operations for modular construction on-site assembly. Journal of Management in Engineering. 2015 Sep;31(5):04014080. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ME.1943-5479.0000317 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ME.1943-5479.0000317
- Lee YH, Lee DH, Kim KT. Considerations in the early stage of designing the unit modular building. Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 2012 Nov; 13(6):133-42. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2012.13.6.133 https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2012.13.6.133
- Lee KB, Kim KR, Shin DW, Cha HS. A proposal for optimizing unit modular system process to improve efficiency in off-site manufacture, transportation and on-site installation. Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 2011 Nov;12(6):14-21. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2011.12.6.14 https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2011.12.6.14
- Olearczyk J, Al-Hussein M, Bouferguene A, Telyas A. Virtual construction automation for modular assembly operations. In Proceedings of the Construction Research Congress; 2009 Apr 5-7; Seattle(WA): ASCE;2009. p. 406-15. https://doi.org/10.1061/41020(339)42
- Bryde D, Broquetas M, Volm JM. The project benefits of building information modelling (BIM). International Journal of Project Management, 2013 Oct;31(7):971-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2012.12.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2012.12.001
- Computer Integrated Construction Research Program. BIM Planning Guide for Facility Owners. 2nd rev. ed. Pennsylvania: The Pennsylvania State University; 2013. 69 p.
- Public Procurement Service. Basic guidelines of the facility business BIM Application v1.31 [Internet]. Korea: Public Procurement Service; 2016 Apr 6. Available from: http://www.pps.go.kr/bbs/selectBoard.do?boardSeqNo=2687&boardId=PPS089 (accessed on 15 April 2019).
- Field, A. Discovering statistics using SPSS. 3rd ed. London: Sage; 2009. 854 p.
- Jun KH, Yun SH. Development construction object library for BIM based building construction planning. Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Structure and Construction. 2011 Sep;27(9):143-51.
- Lee JW, Cho KM, Kim TH. Identifying construction engineering tasks at the design phase for enhancing constructability in high-rise building construction-focused on temporary work. Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Structure and Construction. 2017 Oct;17(5):453-63. https://doi.org/10.5345/JKIBC.2017.17.5.453
Supported by : Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport