- Volume 19 Issue 3
Poor working conditions in the construction industry have made young people reluctant to enter it, resulting in supply/demand unbalance of construction skilled worker. Currently, most construction workers in Korea acquire skills through apprenticeships. Against this background, this study aimed to identify problems in apprenticeship-based methods of technical education, and to suggest measures that could improve these methods. As a measure to improve current apprenticeship-based methods of technical education, technical education needs to be regularly provided on construction sites, and each construction company needs to issue a certificate to workers confirming their completion of technical education. It is also necessary to establish a system in which this certificate is recognized as education experience. In addition, it is recommended to form partnerships with construction technology education institutes supported by the government in order to provide construction workers with opportunities to receive new technologies and construction methods free of charge, and it is urgently necessary to establish and implement a policy to adequately support their cost of living during this period.
construction skilled workers;technical training;apprenticeship training
- Jo HG, A study on current supply and demand status problems for skilled workers on construction sites [master's thesis]. [Cheonan (Korea)]: Namseoul University; 2010. 77 p.
- Park GY, Study on quality improvement of construction labor [master's thesis]. [Seoul (Korea)]: Yonsei University; 2001. 87 p.
- Ha GJ, Ha MS, Yi DR. A study on the supply status and operation management method of construction craft workers in korea. Spring Annual Conference of Architectural Institute of Korea; 2017 Apr; Haevichi Hotel & Resort, Jeju, Korea. Seoul (Korea): Architectural Institute of Korea; 2017. p. 923-4.
- Park MS. Proposal for training and management system for the construction craftsmen in korea. Journal of Regulation Studies. 2002 Dec;11(2):29-57.
- Lim NG. A fundamental research for the establishment of a training system for the young construction technician. Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Structure & Construction. 2015 Dec;17(6):179-86.
- Kim DY. A basic study on investigation of current craft men status in construction site. Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Structure & Construction. 2014 Nov;30(11):81-8. https://doi.org/10.5659/JAIK_SC.2014.30.11.81
- Ha GJ, Ha MS. A study on the reasonable professional human resource management of through employment environment analysis of construction craft workers. Autumn Annual Conference of Architectural Institute of Korea; 2016 Oct; Bexco, Busan, Korea. Seoul (Korea): Architectural Institute of Korea; 2016. p. 1618-23.
- Lee YM, Lee MH, Lee HK. The Study on the System to Estimate the Cost by Using Regression in the Early Stage of the Project. Proceeding of Korea Institute of Construction Engineering and Management; 2006 Nov 11; Suwon, Korea. Seoul (Korea): Korea Institute of Construction Engineering and Management; 2006. p. 274-7.
- Yoon TH, Lee SY. Policymaking improvement strategy for fine laboring ability of construction works. Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 2012 Mar;13(2):37-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2012.13.2.037 https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2012.13.2.037
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)