- Volume 32 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Lactation performance and rumen fermentation in dairy cows fed a diet with alfalfa hay replaced by corn stover and supplemented with molasses
- Wei, Zi-Hai (Institute of Dairy Science, College of animal Science, Zhejiang University) ;
- Liang, Shu-Lin (Institute of Dairy Science, College of animal Science, Zhejiang University) ;
- Wang, Di-Ming (Institute of Dairy Science, College of animal Science, Zhejiang University) ;
- Liu, Hong-Yun (Institute of Dairy Science, College of animal Science, Zhejiang University) ;
- Wanapat, Metha (Tropical Feed Resources Research and Development Center (TROFREC), Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Liu, Jian-Xin (Institute of Dairy Science, College of animal Science, Zhejiang University)
- Received : 2018.09.30
- Accepted : 2019.01.08
- Published : 2019.08.01
Objective: The objective of current study was to investigate the lactation performance and rumen fermentation characteristics of dairy cows fed a diet with alfalfa hay replaced by corn stover but supplemented with molasses. Methods: Sixteen Holstein cows in mid-lactation were randomly assigned to 1 of 2 dietary treatments: i) alfalfa based diet (AH), and ii) corn stover based diet supplemented with molasses (CSM). The experiment was conducted according to a
Supported by : China Agriculture Research System, National Nature Science Foundation of China
- Sumner DA, Rosen-Molina JT. Alfalfa in the context of global crop price prospects. Western Alfalfa and Forage Conference; 2011 December 11-13; Las Vegas, NV, USA. p. 11-3.
- USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service (USDA-NASS). Historical Track Records - Crop Production; 2018 April 12. Available from: https://downloads.usda.library.cornell.edu/usda-esmis/files/c534fn92g/6q182n624/v405sd06x/htrcp-04-12-2018.pdf
- Wang Q, Hansen J, Xu F. China's emerging dairy markets and potential impacts on US alfalfa and dairy product exports. Annual Meeting; 2016 Jul 31-Aug 2; Boston, MA, USA. Agricultural and Applied Economics Association; 2016 (235833).
- Lv K, Qiu H, Bai J, Xu Z. Development of direct return of corn stalk to soil: current status, driving forces and constraints. China Popul Resour Environ 2013;23:171-6.
- Zuo X, Wang HY, Wang YJ, Wang L, Jing L, Wang DL. Estimation and suitability evaluation of corn straw resources in China. Chinese J Agric Resour Reg Plann 2015;6:5-10.
- Li J, Bo Y, Xie S. Estimating emissions from crop residue open burning in China based on statistics and MODIS fire products. J Environ Sci 2016;44:158-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jes.2015.08.024 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jes.2015.08.024
- Zhang L, Liu Y, Hao L. Contributions of open crop straw burning emissions to PM2.5 concentrations in China. Environ Res Lett 2016;11:014014. https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/11/1/014014 https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/11/1/014014
- National Research Council (NRC). Nutrient requirements of dairy cattle. 7th rev ed. Washington, DC, USA: National Academy Press; 2001.
- Xu J, Hou YJ, Yang HB, et al. Effects of forage sources on rumen fermentation characteristics, performance, and microbial protein synthesis in midlactation cows. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2014;27:667-73. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13604 https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13604
- Zhu W, Fu Y, Wang B, et al. Effects of dietary forage sources on rumen microbial protein synthesis and milk performance in early lactating dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2013;96:1727-34. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5756 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5756
- Wang B, Mao SY, Yang HJ, et al. Effects of alfalfa and cereal straw as a forage source on nutrient digestibility and lactation performance in lactating dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2014;97:7706-15. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2014-7961 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2014-7961
- Wei ZH, Zhang BX, Liu JX. Effects of the dietary nonfiber carbohydrate content on lactation performance, rumen fermentation, and nitrogen utilization in mid-lactation dairy cows receiving corn stover. J Anim Sci Biotechnol 2018;9:20. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40104-018-0239-z https://doi.org/10.1186/s40104-018-0239-z
- Broderick GA, Radloff WJ. Effect of molasses supplementation on the production of lactating dairy cows fed diets based on alfalfa and corn silage. J Dairy Sci 2004;87:2997-3009. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73431-1 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73431-1
- Tedeschi LO, Chalupa W, Janczewski E, Fox DG, Sniffen C, Munson R. Evaluation and application of the CPM Dairy Nutrition model. J Agric Sci 2008;146:171-82. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859607007587 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859607007587
- Latimer GW. AOAC International. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 19th ed. Gaithersburg, MD, USA: AOAC International; 2012.
- Van Soest PJ, Robertson JB, Lewis BA. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J Dairy Sci 1991;74:3583-97. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Shen JS, Chai Z, Song LJ, Liu JX, Wu YM. Insertion depth of oral stomach tubes may affect the fermentation parameters of ruminal fluid collected in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2012;95:5978-84. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5499 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5499
- Hu WL, Liu JX, Ye JA, Wu YM, Guo YQ. Effect of tea saponin on rumen fermentation in vitro. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2005;120:333-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2005.02.029 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2005.02.029
- Voelker Linton JA, Allen MS. Nutrient demand interacts with forage family to affect intake and digestion responses in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2008;91:2694-701. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0897 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0897
- Ballard CS, Mandebvu P, Sniffen CJ, Emanuele SM, Carter MP. Effect of feeding an energy supplement to dairy cows preand postpartum on intake, milk yield, and incidence of ketosis. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2001;93:55-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(01)00270-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(01)00270-X
- Maltz E, Barbosa LF, Bueno P, et al. Effect of feeding according to energy balance on performance, nutrient excretion, and feeding behavior of early lactation dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2013;96:5249-66. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2013-6549 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2013-6549
- Zhu W, Tang CH, Sun XP, et al. Effects of starch and rumen-protected amino acid supplementation on rumen microbial protein synthesis and milk performance in lactating cows fed corn stover. J Anim Vet Adv 2013;12:633-39.
- Abdoun K, Stumpff F, Martens H. Ammonia and urea transport across the rumen epithelium: a review. Anim Health Res Rev 2006;7:43-59. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1466252307001156 https://doi.org/10.1017/S1466252307001156
- Linn JG, Olson JD. Using milk urea nitrogen to evaluate diets and reproductive performance of dairy cattle. State Applied Nutrition Management Conference 1995; La Crosse, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA; 1995;4:155-67.
- Ma T, Tu Y, Zhang NF, Deng KD, Diao QY. Effect of the ratio of non-fibrous carbohydrates to neutral detergent fiber and protein structure on intake, digestibility, rumen fermentation, and nitrogen metabolism in lambs. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2015;28:1419-26. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0025 https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0025
- Hansen WP, Otterby DE, Linn JG, Donker JD. Influence of forage type, ratio of forage to concentrate, and methionine hydroxy analog on performance of dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 1991;74:1361-9. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78291-X https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78291-X
- Orth R. Sample day and lactation report, DHIA 200. Fact Sheet A-2. Mid-States Dairy Records Processing Center (DRPC), Ames, IA, USA; 1992.