- Volume 12 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Statistical Characteristics of Pier-Scour Equations for Scour Depth Calculation
교각세굴심 산정 공식의 통계적 특성
- Lee, Ho Jin (School of Civil Engineering, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Chang, Hyung Joon (School of Civil Engineering, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Heo, Tae Young (School of Information and Statistics, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2019.09.09
- Accepted : 2019.09.24
- Published : 2019.09.30
In recent years, the occurrence of localized torrential rain has increased due to the increase in heavy rainfall and massive typhoons caused by abnormal weather. As a result, the flow rate of small and medium-sized rivers in Korea is rapidly increasing, affecting the safety of bridges and increasing the risk of scour. However, the domestic bridge construction technology does not reflect the watershed characteristics of domestic rivers because the bridge scour depth calculation formula developed overseas is used to calculate the bridge scour depth. Therefore, this study is a basic study for prevention of bridge damage according to scouring phenomenon, and a comparative analysis was performed between the experimental data measured through hydraulic model test and the scour depth formulas applied in Korea. In addition, the statistical analysis between experimental data and scour depth formula shows that Coleman's (1971) formula estimates the best scour depth. The results of this study are expected to be used to calculate more accurate bridge scour depth in river design and bridge design.
- Chnha, L. V. (1975). Time Evolution of Local Scour. The 16th IAHR Congress Proceedings, Sao Paulo.
- Choi, S. and Cheong, S. (2006). Prediction of Local Scour Around Bridge Piers Using Artificial Neural Networks. Journal of the AWRA. 42(2): 487-494.
- Dey, S., Bose, S. K., and Sastry, G. I. N. (1995). Clearwater Scour at Circular Piers-A Model. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering. ASCE. 121: 869-876. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1995)121:12(869)
- Johnson, P. (1992), Reliability-based Pier Scour Engineering, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering. ASCE. 118: 1344-1354. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1992)118:10(1344)
- Laursen, E. M. (1963). An Analysis of Relief Bridge Scour. Journal of the Hydraulics Division. 89(3): 93-118.
- Lai, J., Chang, W., and Yen, C. (2009), Maximum Local Scour Depth at Bridge Piers under Unsteady Flow. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering. ASCE. 135: 609-614. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0000044
- Lee, S. S. (2001). Effect of Local Scour Depth Reduction Around Multiple Bridge Pier Using Circular Collar. M. S. Dissertation. Hongik University.
- Lim, J. H. (2002). The Experimental Study of Scour Depths due to Piers at Small Streams in Mountainous Areas. M. S. Dissertation. Dankook University.
- Melville, B. and Chiew, Y. (1999). Time Scale for Local Scour at Bridge Piers. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering. ASCE. 125: 59-65. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1999)125:1(59)
- Mia, M. and Nago, H. (2003). Design Method of Time Dependent Local Scour at Circular Bridge Pier. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering. ASCE. 129: 420-427. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2003)129:6(420)
- Min, B. Y., Chang, H. J., Lee, H. J., and Kim, S. D. (2019). Review on Applicability of Local Scour Depth Calculation Formula in River. Korean Society of Disaster &Security. 12(1): 1-9.
- Park, C. W. and Park, H. I. (2017). Evaluation of the Applicability of Pier Local Scour Formulae Using Laboratory and Field Data. Marine Georesources and Geotechnology. 35: 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1080/1064119X.2014.954658
- Park, J. W. (2012). Application Evaluation of Equation by the Scour Depth Estimation in Bight River. M. S. Dissertation. Kangwon University.
- Sheppard, D. M., Odeh, M., and Glasser, T. (2004). Large Scale Clear-water Local Pier Scour Experiment. Journal of Hydraulics Engineering. ASCE. 130: 957-963. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2004)130:10(957)
- Sheppard, D. M. and Miller, W. (2006). Live-bed Local Scour Pier Experiment, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering. ASCE. 132: 635-642. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2006)132:7(635)
- You, J. S. (1997). In-Situ Measurement and Applicability of Bridge Scouring Depths. M. S. Dissertation. Myongji University.