- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Obesity Intervention Programs in Adolescents: Focused on Endothelium Functions
비만 청소년의 비만 중재 프로그램에 대한 국내외 연구 분석: 혈관내피 기능을 중심으로
- Jeon, Hye Kyung (The Graduate School of Chung-Ang University) ;
- Yoo, Hae Young (Department of Nursing, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2019.01.23
- Accepted : 2019.04.03
- Published : 2019.05.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to determine the current status of obesity intervention programs, and its effects on endothelium function in adolescents. Method: This was a descriptive research study, that investigated domestic and international literature 2009-2018. Using databases inside and outside of Korea to search for 'adolescent', 'obese adolescent', 'exercise', 'program', or 'intervention', and 'endothelium function', a total of 14 literature have been selected for 6 domestic research and 8 international research, excluding overlapping, case studies, literature reviews, and unrelated studies. Results: Interventions for enhancing endothelium function were exercise program, diet, vitamin D3 treatment, and Orlistat intake relative to international research, and combined exercise and purple sweet potato intake, in most domestic research. Dependent variables included FMD, RHI, NMD, EPCs, and EMPs, for measuring endothelium function in international research, and PWV, FMD and RHI, in domestic research. Conclusion: Results of this study confirmed that application of obese intervention programs, may improve endothelium function in adolescents. Further studies are required, to develop nursing intervention, that would enhance endothelium function in adolescents.
- Yun SH, Lim DH, Oh KG. Development of the 2017 Korean National Growth harts for children and adolescents. Public Health Weekly Report. 2017; 11(25):813-820.
- Lee JY, Lee CM, Park HJ, Hwang MJ. The effect of the Korean traditional dance on health-related fitness, growth mediators in obese elementary school students. The Korean Journal of the Elementary Physical Education. 2009;5(2): 37-48.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2016 National Health Statistics Analysis Results [Internet]. Seoul: Health and Welfare Department Health Policy Division; 2017[cited 2018 Aug 10]. Available from:https://www.cdc.go.kr/CDC/contents/CdcKrContentView.jsp?cid=60949&menuIds=HOME001-MNU1130-MNU1639-MNU1749-MNU1761
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2017 Results of a youth health online survey [Internet]. Seoul: Department of Health and Nutrition Examination Center for Disease Prevention; 2017 [cited 2018 Aug10]. Available from: http://www.cdc.go.kr/yhs/
- Guo RF, Ward PA. Mediators and regulation of neutrophil accumulation in inflammatory responses in lung: insights from the IgG immune complex model. Free Radical Biology Medicine. 2002;33(3):303-10. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/70.1.145s https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(02)00823-7
- Sumpio BE, Riley JT, Dardik A. Cells in focus: endothelial cell. The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology. 2002;34(12):1508-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1357-2725(02)00075-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1357-2725(02)00075-4
- Kim HK, Park HY. Current status of studies regarding endothelial cell dysfunction for the prevention, management and treatment of vascular diseases in Korea. Public Health Weekly Report. 2015;9(1):2-8
- Ahn BK, Kim SK, Kwon YJ, Hyon MS, Bang DW, Park JS, et al. Association of carotid atherosclerosis and arterial stiffness with obesity. Journal of Soonchunhyang Medical Science. 2011;17(2):95-9. https://doi.org/10.15746/sms.11.020 https://doi.org/10.15746/sms.11.020
- Perticone F, Ceravolo R, Candigliota M, Ventura G, Iacopino S, Sinopoli F, et al. Obesity and body fat distribution induce endothelial dysfunction by oxidative stress: protective effect of vitamin C. Diabetes. 2001;50(1):159-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0895-7061(00)00492-1 https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.50.1.159
- Steinberger J, Daniels SR. Obesity, insulin resistance, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk in children: an American Heart Association scientific statement from the Atherosclerosis, Hypertension, and Obesity in the Young Committee (Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young) and the Diabetes Committee (Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism).Circulation.2003;107(10):1448-53. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.0000060923.07573.f2 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000060923.07573.F2
- Cohn JN, Duprez DA, Grandits GA. Arterial elasticity as part of a comprehensive assessment of cardiovascular risk and drug treatment. Hypertension. 2005;46(1):217-20. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.hyp.0000165686.50890.c3 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.0000165686.50890.c3
- Chon SG. Effects of twelve-week exercise program on arterial function in obese adolescents [master's thesis]. Seoul: University of Seoul; 2009. 88p..
- Thompson DR, Obarzanek E, Franko DL, Barton BA, Morrison J, Biro FM, et al. Childhood overweight and cardiovascular disease risk factors: the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Growth and Health Study. The Journal of Pediatrics. 2007;150(1):18-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2006.09.039 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2006.09.039
- Heo EJ, Shim JE, Yoon EY. Systematic review on the study of the childhood and adolescent obesity in korea: dietary risk factors. Journal of Community Nutrition. 2017;22(3):191-206. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2017.22.3.191
- Bruyndonckx L, Hoymans VY, De Guchtenaere A, Van Helvoirt M, Van Craenenbroeck EM, Frederix G, et al. Diet, exercise, and endothelial function in obese adolescents. Pediatrics. 2015;135(3):e653-61. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2014-1577d https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2014-1577
- Montero D, Walther G, Perez-Martin A, Mercier CS, Gayrard S, Vicente-Salar N, et al. Effects of a lifestyle program on vascular reactivity in macro- and microcirculation in severely obese adolescents. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2014;99(3):1019-26. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2013-3394 https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2013-3394
- Ryu RK. A study on the behavioral modification for juvenile obese management and application of aerobic exercise program [Doctoral thesis] Seoul: University of Myongji; 1997. 120p.
- Hur S. Effects of behavior modification for complex exercise and nutrition education providing feedback on metabolic syndrome related factors, adipocytokine and dietary intakes in obese high school girls. Korean journal of physical education. 2012;51(2):441-451.
- Sedgwick MJ, Morris JG, Nevill ME, Tolfrey K, Nevill A, Barrett LA. Effect of exercise on postprandial endothelial function in adolescent boys. British Journal of Nutrition. 2013;110(2):301-9. . https://doi.org/10.1017/s0007114512004977 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114512004977
- Yu CC, Li AM, Chan KO, Chook P, Kam JT, Au CT, et al. Orlistat improves endothelial function in obese adolescents: a randomised trial. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2013;49(11):969-75. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpc.12252 https://doi.org/10.1111/jpc.12252
- Javed A, Kullo IJ, Balagopal PB, Kumar S. Effect of vitamin D3 treatment on endothelial function in obese adolescents. Pediatric Obesity. 2016;11(4):279-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijpo.12059 https://doi.org/10.1111/ijpo.12059
- Wesnigk J, Bruyndonckx L, Hoymans VY, De Guchtenaere A, Fischer T, Schuler G, et al. Impact of lifestyle intervention on HDL-induced eNOS activation and cholesterol efflux capacity in obese adolescent. Cardiology Research and Practice. 2016;2016:2820432. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/2820432
- Zhang H, Jiang L, Yang YJ, Ge RK, Zhou M, Hu H, et al. Aerobic exercise improves endothelial function and serum adropin levels in obese adolescents independent of body weight loss. Scientific Reports. 2017;7(1):17717. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-18086-3 https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-18086-3
- Mueller UM, Walther C, Adam J, Fikenzer K, Erbs S, Mende M, et al. Endothelial function in children and adolescents is mainly influenced by Age, Sex and physical activity- an analysis of reactive hyperemic peripheral artery tonometry. Circulation Journal. 2017;81(5):717-25. . https://doi.org/10.1253/circj.cj-16-0994 https://doi.org/10.1253/circj.CJ-16-0994
- Yoon ES, Jung SJ, Jae SY. Effects of exercise training program on carotid intima-media thickness and brachial artery endothelium-dependent flow mediated vasodilation in obese adolescents. Exercise Science. 2010;19(2):165-174. https://doi.org/10.15857/ksep.2010.19.2.165 https://doi.org/10.15857/ksep.2010.19.2.165
- Lee YJ. Effects of school-based physical activity program on macro-and micro vascular function in obese adolescents [master's thesis] Seoul: University of Seoul; 2011. 66p.
- Park SH, Yoon ES, Jae SY. Effect of improvement of cardiorespiratory fitness by regular exercise training on vascular function in obese adolescents. Exercise science. 2012; 21(4):485-494. https://doi.org/10.15857/ksep.2012.21.4.485 https://doi.org/10.15857/ksep.2012.21.4.485
- Kim HK, Yang EJ. The effect of aerobic exercise and resistance exercise on blood lipid, insulin resistance, vasodilation and vascular compliance in obese adolescence. Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women. 2012;26(4):185-199.
- Son WM. Effects of combined exercise and purple sweet potato intake on health-related fitness, blood lipid profile, nitric oxide and vascular compliance in obese middle school girl students [Doctoral thesis] Pusan: Pusan National University; 2014.90p.
- Yoon SH, Kim HJ, Oh KY. Prevalence of obesity among children and adolescent in korea.