- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Role of Transformational Leadership toward Work Performance through Intrinsic Motivation: A Study in the Pharmaceutical Field in Vietnam
- NGUYEN, Ha Minh (Ho Chi Minh City Open University) ;
- MAI, Lam Tung (Ho Chi Minh City Open University) ;
- HUYNH, Tam Luong (Ho Chi Minh City Open University)
- Received : 2019.07.16
- Accepted : 2019.09.30
- Published : 2019.11.30
The study aims to identify the role of transformational leadership toward work performance through intrinsic motivation in pharmaceutical field by a survey of 220 pharmacists in Vietnam. The pharmaceutical industry in Vietnam is experiencing rapid growth, accompanied by the need for a change in leadership for managers. The transformational leadership creates a proactive, positive attitude, passion, interest or an increase in intrinsic motivation of employees, thereby affecting work performance. This study performed reliable verification by Cronbach's Alpha coefficient, then the factors are analyzed by EFA before conducting multivariate regression analysis. The results showed that the transformational leadership style includes such factors as: idealized influence (attributed and behavior), inspirational motivation, intellectual stimulation, individualized consideration have a positive impact on intrinsic motivation and thereby positively affecting work performance. It confirms that employees will have a higher intrinsic motivation level when working under transformational leadership from their leaders. It makes employees work more efficiently. According to the research results, the pharmacist has an intrinsic motivation to work hard on tasks that contribute to the group overall goal of. That requires managers to have a task assignment strategy to connect the goals of the members together as well as of the members to the group.
- Ahmad, F., Abbas, T., Latif, S., & Rasheed, A. (2014). Impact of transformational leadership on employee motivation in telecommunication sector. Journal of Management Policies and Practices, 2(2), 11-25.
- Avolio, B. J., Waldman, D. A., & Einstein, W. O. (1988). Transformational leadership in a management game simulation: Impacting the bottom line. Group & Organization Studies, 13(1), 59-80. https://doi.org/10.1177/105960118801300109
- Baard, P. P., Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (2004). Intrinsic need satisfaction: A motivational basis of performance and Weil-Being in two work settings. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 34(10), 2045-2068. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2004.tb02690.x
- Barbuto Jr., J. E. (2005). Motivation and transactional, charismatic, and transformational leadership: A test of antecedents. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 11(4), 26-40.
- Barbuto, J. E. (1997). Taking the charisma out of transformational leadership. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 12(3), 689-697.
- Bass, B. M. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectations. New York, NY: Collier Macmillan.
- Bass, B. M. (1990). From transactional to transformational leadership: Learning to share the vision. Organizational Dynamics, 18(3), 19-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(90)90061-S
- Bass, B. M., & Avolio, B. J. (1997). Full range leadership development: Manual for the Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire. Menlo Park, CA: Mind Garden.
- Bass, B. M., & Avolio, B. J. (2004). Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire: MLQ; Manual and Sampler Set. Menlo Park, CA: Mind Garden.
- Bass, B. M., & Riggio, R. E. (2006). Transformational leadership. Mahwah, NJ: Psychology Press.
- Bennis, W., & Nanus, B. (1985). The strategies for taking charge. Leaders. New York, NY: Harper & Row.
- Bolkan, S., & Goodboy, A. K. (2011). Behavioral indicators of transformational leadership in the college classroom. Qualitative Research Reports in Communication, 12(1), 10-18. https://doi.org/10.1080/17459435.2011.601520
- Bolkan, S., Goodboy, A. K., & Griffin, D. J. (2011). Teacher leadership and intellectual stimulation: Improving students' approaches to studying through intrinsic motivation. Communication Research Reports, 28(4), 337-346. https://doi.org/10.1080/08824096.2011.615958
- Borman, W. C., & Motowidlo, S. M. (1993). Expanding the criterion domain to include elements of contextual performance: Personnel Selection in Organizations. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Burns, J. M. (1978). Leadership. New York, NY: Harper & Row.
- Chalofsky, N., & Krishna, V. (2009). Meaningfulness, commitment, and engagement: The intersection of a deeper level of intrinsic motivation. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 11(2), 189-203. https://doi.org/10.1177/1523422309333147
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (1985). Intrinsic motivation and self-determination in human behavior. New York, NY: Springer Science & Business Media.
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (2000). The" what" and" why" of goal pursuits: Human needs and the self-determination of behavior. Psychological Inquiry, 11(4), 227-268. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327965PLI1104_01
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (2010). Intrinsic motivation. The Corsini Encyclopedia of Psychology. [Online First] https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470479216.corpsy0467
- Densten, I. L. (2002). Clarifying inspirational motivation and its relationship to extra effort. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 23(1), 40-44. https://doi.org/10.1108/01437730210414553
- Erez, M., Gopher, D., & Arzi, N. (1990). Effects of goal difficulty, self-set goals, and monetary rewards on dual task performance. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 47(2), 247-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(90)90038-B
- Guay, F., Vallerand, R. J., & Blanchard, C. (2000). On the assessment of situational intrinsic and extrinsic motivation: The Situational Motivation Scale (SIMS). Motivation and Emotion, 24(3), 175-213. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005614228250
- Gumusluoglu, L., & Ilsev, A. (2009). Transformational leadership, creativity, and organizational innovation. Journal of Business Research, 62(4), 461-473. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2007.07.032
- Hackman, J. R., & Oldham, G. R. (1974). The Job Diagnostic Survey: An instrument for the diagnosis of jobs and the evaluation of job redesign projects (Yale University Working Paper). Retrieved from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED099580.pdf
- Hackman, J. R., & Oldham, G. R. (1980). Work redesign. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Kahai, S. S., Sosik, J. J., & Avolio, B. J. (2003). Effects of leadership style, anonymity, and rewards on creativityrelevant processes and outcomes in an electronic meeting system context. The Leadership Quarterly, 14(4-5), 499-524. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(03)00049-3
- Kotter, J. P. (1998). Winning at change. Leader to leader, 10(Fall), 27-33.
- Northouse, P. G. (2018). Leadership: Theory and practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage publications.
- Piccolo, R. F., & Colquitt, J. A. (2006). Transformational leadership and job behaviors: The mediating role of core job characteristics. Academy of Management Journal, 49(2), 327-340. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2006.20786079
- Qiao, Y. (1999). Interstate fiscal disparities in America: A study of trends and causes. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Rafferty, A. E., & Griffin, M. A. (2006). Refining individualized consideration: Distinguishing developmental leadershipand supportive leadership. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 79(1), 37-61. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317905X36731
- Rafferty, A. E., & Simons, R. H. (2006). An examination of the antecedents of readiness for fine-tuning and corporate transformation changes. Journal of Business and Psychology, 20(3), 325-350. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-005-9013-2
- Ryan, R. M., & Deci, E. L. (2000). Intrinsic and extrinsic motivations: Classic definitions and new directions. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 25(1), 54-67. https://doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1999.1020
- Shin, S. J., & Zhou, J. (2003). Transformational leadership, conservation, and creativity: Evidence from Korea. Academy of Management Journal, 46(6), 703-714.
- Tannenbaum, R., & Massarik, F. (1957). Leadership: A frame of reference. Management Science, 4(1), 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.4.1.1
- Vallerand, R. J. (1997). Toward a hierarchical model of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. In Advances in Experimental Social Psychology (Vol. 29, pp. 271-360). Cambridge, MA: Academic Press.
- Williams, L. J., & Anderson, S. E. (1991). Job satisfaction and organizational commitment as predictors of organizational citizenship and in-role behaviors. Journal of Management, 17(3), 601-617.
- Wren, A. (1995, August). Scheduling, timetabling and rostering-a special relationship? In International Conference on the Practice and Theory of Automated Timetabling (pp. 46-75), Dates, City, Country.
- Wren, A. (1995, August). Scheduling, timetabling and rostering - A special relationship? In E. Burke & P. Ross (eds), Practice and Theory of Automated Timetabling. (pp. 46-75). Berlin, Germany: Springer.