- Volume 31 Issue 4
The choice of individual material for industrial application is primarily based on knowledge of its behavior in similar applications and similar environmental conditions. Contemporary design implies knowledge of material behavior and knowledge in the area of structural analysis supported by large capacity computers. Bearing this in mind, this paper presents and analyzes the experimental results related to the mechanical properties of the material considered (30CrNiMo8/1.6580/AISI 4340) at different temperatures as well as its creep and fatigue behavior. All experimental tests were carried out as uniaxial tests. The test results related to the mechanical properties are presented in the form of engineering stress-strain diagrams. The results related to the creep behavior of the material are shown in the form of creep curves, while the fatigue of the material is shown in the form of stress - life (S - N) diagram. Based on these experimental results, the values of the following properties are determined: ultimate tensile strength (
steel 30CrNiMo8;fatigue;creep;mechanical properties;Charpy impact energy
- Ahangarani, Sh., Sabour, A.R. and Mahboubi, F. (2007), "Surface modification of 30CrNiMo8 low-alloy steel by active screen setup and conventional plasma nitriding methods", Appl. Surf. Sci., 254(5), 1427-1435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2007.07.003
- Annual Book of ASTM Standards (2015), Metals - Mechanical Testing; Elevated and Low-Temperature Tests; Metallography, Vol. 03.01, ASTM International, Baltimore, MD, USA.
- Arefi, M., Nasr, M. and Loghman, A. (2018), "Creep analysis of the FG cylinders: time-dependent non-axisymmetric behavior", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 28(3), 331-347.
- Bao, S., Fu, M., Lou, H. and Bai, S. (2017), "Defect identification in feromgnetic steel based on residual magnetic field measurements", J. Magnet. Magnet. Mater., 441, 590-597. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmmm.2017.06.056
- Blinn, M.P. and Williams, R.A. (1997), Design for fracture toughness, ASTM Handbook, Vol. 20, Materials Selection and Design, Dieter, G.E., Volume Chair, ASM International, USA, pp. 533-544.
- Brnic, J. (2018), Analysis of Engineering Structures and Material Behavior, John Wiley & Sons, Chichestser, UK.
- Brnic, J., Turkalj, G., Krscanski, S., Lanc, D., Canadija, M. and Brcic, M. (2014), "Information relevant for the design of structure: ferritic-heat resistant high chromium steel X10CrAlSi25", Mater. Des., 63, 508-518. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2014.06.051
- Brnic, J., Canadija, M., Turkalj, G., Krscanski, S., Lanc, D., Brcic, M. and Zeng, G. (2016), "Short-time creep, fatigue and mechanical properties of 42CrMo4 - Low alloy structural steel", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 22(4), 875-888. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.22.4.875
- Brooks, C.R. and Choudhury, A.. (2002), Failure Analysis of Engineering Materials, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA.
- Chao, Y.J., Ward, J.D. and Sands, R.G. (2007), "Charpy impact energy, fracture toughness and ductile-brittle transition temperature of dual-phase 590 Steel", Mater. Des., 28, 551-557. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2005.08.009
- Collins, J.A. (1993), Failure of Materials in Mechanical Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA.
- Dowling, N.E. (2013), Mechanical Behavior of Material, (4th ed.), Pearson, New York, NY, USA.
- Draper, N.R. and Smith, H. (1998), Applied Regression Analysis, Wiley - Interscience Publications, USA.
- Effertz, P.S., Fuchs, F. and Enzinger, N. (2017), "3D modelling of flash formation in linear friction welded 30CrNiMo8 steel chain", Metals, 7(10), 449. DOI: 10.3390/met7100449 https://doi.org/10.3390/met7100449
- Egea, A.J.S., Rojas, H.A.G. and Celetano, D.J. (2016), "Mechanical and metallurgical changes on 308L wires drawn by electropulses", Mater. Des., 90, 1159-1169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2015.11.067
- Findley, W.N., Lai, J.S. and Onaran, K. (1989), Creep and Relaxation of Linear Viscoelastic Materials, Dover Publications, New York, NY, USA.
- ISO 12107:2012 (E) (2012), Metallic materials - Fatigue testing - Statistical planning and analysis of data.
- Karolczuk, A. and Kluger, K. (2014), "Analysis of the coefficient of normal stress effect in chosen multiaxial fatigue criteria", Theor. Appl. Fract. Mech., 73, 39-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tafmec.2014.07.015
- Kaskholi, M.D. and Nejad, M.Z. (2018), "Time-dependent creep analysis and life assessment of 304 L austenitic stainless steel thick pressurized truncated conical shells", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 28(3), 349-362.
- Kluger, K. and Lagoda, T. (2017), "A new algorithm for estimating fatigue life under mean value of stress", Fatigue Fract. Eng. Mater. Struct., 40(3), 448-459. https://doi.org/10.1111/ffe.12515
- Ohsaki, M. (2011), Optimization of Finite Dimensional Structures, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA.
- Raghavan, V. (2004), Materials Science and Engineering, Prentice-Hall of India, New Delhi, India.
- Rojas, G.H.A., Egea, S.A.J., Rodriguez, T.J.A., Fuentes, L.J. and Peiro, J.J. (2018), "Estimation of the polishing time for different metallic alloys in surface texture removal", Mach. Sci. Technol., 22(4), 729-741. https://doi.org/10.1080/10910344.2017.1402931
- Suresh, S. (2003), Fatigue of Materials, (2nd ed.), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
Grant : Investigation, analysis and modeling the behavior of structural elements stressed at room and high temperatures, Failure analysis of materials in marine environment
Supported by : University of Rijeka