- Volume 39 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Three Commercial Collagen Mixtures: Quality Characteristics of Marinated Pork Loin Ham
- Choe, Juhui (Resrouce Science Institute, Kongju National University) ;
- Kim, Hack-Youn (Department of Animal Resources Science, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2019.03.21
- Accepted : 2019.04.04
- Published : 2019.04.30
Various commercial collagen mixtures aimed at improving the quality of meat products are available, but the optimal composition is unclear. This study aimed to compare the functional properties, including physicochemical characteristics and lipid oxidative stability, of loin ham marinated with three commercial collagen mixtures sold as food additives. The addition of collagen mixtures led to significant increases in the moisture content, water holding capacity (WHC), cooking yield, and instrumental tenderness, regardless of the type of collagen mixture. In particular, meat samples containing collagen mixture C showed the highest (p<0.05) WHC and tenderness among all groups. Furthermore, collagen mixture B induced increases (p<0.05) in pH values in both raw and cooked samples. The
collagen mixture;marinade ingredients;ham;quality characteristics
Supported by : Mars Korea Co., Ltd.
- Aksu MI, Aktas N, Kaya M. 2003. The influence of marination with different salt concentrations on the tenderness, water holding capacity and bound water content of beef. Turk J Vet Anim Sci 27:1207-1211.
- Aleman A, Gimenez B, Montero P, Gomez-Guillen MC. 2011. Antioxidant activity of several marine skin gelatins. LWT-Food Sci Technol 44:407-413. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2010.09.003
- Alvarado C, McKee S. 2007. Marination to improve functional properties and safety of poultry meat. J Appl Poult Res 16:113-120. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/16.1.113
- AOAC. 2012. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 19th ed. AOAC International, Gathersburg, MD, USA. p 931.
- Armenteros M, Morcuende D, Ventanas J, Estevez M. 2016. The application of natural antioxidants via brine injection protects Iberian cooked hams against lipid and protein oxidation. Meat Sci 116:253-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2016.02.027
- Chin KB, Go MY, Xiong YL. 2009. Konjac flour improved textural and water retention properties of transglutaminasemediated, heat-induced porcine myofibrillar protein gel: Effect of salt level and transglutaminase incubation. Meat Sci 81:565-572. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.10.012
- Choe IS, Park YJ. 1996. A study on the utilization as meat tenderizer from Korean pear protease. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 16:89-93.
- Choe J, Kim GW, Kim HY. 2019. Effects of green tea leaf, lotus leaf, and kimchi powders on quality characteristics of chicken liver sausages. J Anim Sci Technol 61:28-34. https://doi.org/10.5187/jast.2019.61.1.28
- Choe J, Kim HY. 2019. Quality characteristics of reduced fat emulsion-type chicken sausages using chicken skin and wheat fiber mixture as fat replacer. Poult Sci (in press). doi: 10.3382/ps/pez016. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pez016
- Daigle SP, Schilling MW, Marriott NG, Wang H, Barbeau WE, Willians RC. 2005. PSE-like turkey breast enhancement through adjunct incorporation in a chunked and formed deli roll. Meat Sci 69:319-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.08.001
- Desmond EM, Troy DJ, Buckley DJ. 1998. The effects of tapioca starch, oat fibre and whey protein on the physical and sensory properties of low-fat beef burgers. LWT-Food Sci Technol 31:653-657. https://doi.org/10.1006/fstl.1998.0415
- Gamage HGCL, Mutucumarana RK, Andrew MS. 2017. Effect of marination method and holding time on physicochemical and sensory characteristics of broiler meat. J Agric Sci 12:172-184.
- Gomez-Guillen MC, Gimenez B, Lopez-Caballero ME, Montero MP. 2011. Functional and bioactive properties of collagen and gelatin from alternative sources: A review. Food Hydrocoll 25:1813-1827. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2011.02.007
- Grau R, Hamm R. 1953. Eine einfache methode zur bestimmung der wasserbindung im muskel. Naturwissenschaften 40:29-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00595734
- Hinrichs R, Gotz J, Weisser H. 2003. Water-holding capacity and structure of hydrocolloid-gels, WPC-gels and yogurts characterised by means of NMR. Food Chem 82:155-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(02)00539-3
- Jongberg S, Torngren MA, Skibsted LH. 2018. Dose-dependent effects of green tea or mate extracts on lipid and protein oxidation in brine-injected retail-packed pork chops. Medicines 5:11. https://doi.org/10.3390/medicines5010011
- Kim HY, Kim KJ, Lee JW, Kim GW, Choe JH, Kim HW, Yoon Y, Kim CJ. 2015. Quality characteristics of marinated chicken breast as influenced by the methods of mechanical processing. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 35:101-107. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2015.35.1.101
- Kim HY, Kim KJ, Lee JW, Kim GW, Choe JH, Kim HW, Yoon Y, Kim CJ. 2015. Quality evaluation of chicken nugget formulated with various contents of chicken skin and wheat fiber mixture. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 35:19-26. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2015.35.1.19
- Lawrence TE, Dikeman ME, Hunt MC, Kastner CL, Johnson DE. 2003. Staged injection marination with calcium lactate, phosphate and salt may improve beef water-binding ability and palatability traits. Meat Sci 65:967-972. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00312-1
- Lee SH, Kim GW, Choe J, Kim HY. 2018. Effect of buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum) powder on the physicochemical and sensory properties of emulsion-type sausage. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 38:927-935. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2018.e25
- Osburn WN, Mandigo RW. 1998. Reduced-fat bologna manufactured with poultry skin connective tissue gel. Poult Sci 77:1574-1584. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/77.10.1574
- Park BH, Kim YO, Kee HJ, Cho YJ, Choi HK. 1999. The effect of fig conserve additive on the physicochemical characteristics of beef obtained from various breeds. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28:511-519.
- Pawar VD, Mule BD, Machewad GM. 2007. Effect of margination with ginger rhizome extract on properties of raw and cooked chevon. J Muscle Foods 18:349-369. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.2007.00091.x
- Pietrasik Z, Jarmoluk A, Shand PJ. 2007. Effect of non-meat proteins on hydration and textural properties of pork meat gels enhanced with microbial transglutaminase. LWT-Food Sci Technol 40:915-920. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2006.03.003
- Prestes RC, Graboski A, Roman SS, Kempka AP, Toniazzo G, Demiate IM, Luccio MD. 2013. Effects of the addition of collagen and degree of comminution in the quality of chicken ham. J Appl Poult Res 22:885-903. https://doi.org/10.3382/japr.2013-00809
- Schilling MW, Mink LE, Gochenour PS, Marriott NG, Alvarado CZ. 2003. Utilization of pork collagen for functionality improvement of boneless cured ham manufactured from pale, soft, and exudative pork. Meat Sci 65:547-553. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00247-4
- Sosulski FW, McCurdy AR. 1987. Functionality of flours, protein fractions and isolates from field peas and faba bean. J Food Sci 52:1010-1041. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1987.tb14263.x
- Tarladgis, BG, Watts BM, Younathan MT, Dugan L Jr. 1960. A distillation method for the quantitative determination of malonaldehyde in rancid foods. J Am Oil Chem Soc 37:44-48. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02630824
- Toldra F, Mora L, Flores M. 2010. Cooked ham. In Handbook of meat processing. Toldra F (ed). Blackwell, Ames, IA, USA. pp 301-311.
- Wu FY, Smith SB. 1987. Ionic strength and myofibrillar protein solubilization. J Anim Sci 65:597-608. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.652597x