- Volume 39 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Pig Carcass and Primal Cuts Measured by the Autofom III Depend on Seasonal Classification
- Choi, Jungseok (Department of Physiology, Maastricht University) ;
- Kwon, Kimun (Korea Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation) ;
- Lee, Youngkyu (Dodram Pig Farmers Cooperative) ;
- Ko, Eunyoung (Dodram Pig Farmers Cooperative) ;
- Kim, Yongsun (Dodram Pig Farmers Cooperative) ;
- Choi, Yangil (Department of Animal Science, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2019.02.19
- Accepted : 2019.04.04
- Published : 2019.04.30
The objective of this study was to investigate slaughtering performance, carcass grade, and quantitative traits of cuts according to seasonal influence by each month in pigs slaughtered in livestock processing complex (LPC) slaughterhouse in Korea, 2017. A total of 267,990 LYD (
season;LYD pigs;slaughter head;AutoFom III;yield;economic traits
- Boler DD, Dilger AC, Bidner BS, Carr SN, Eggert JM, Day JW, Ellis M, Mckeith FK, Killefer J. 2010. Ultimate pH explains variation in pork quality traits. J Muscle Foods 21:119-130. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.2009.00171.x
- Bowden RM, Paitz RT. 2018. Temperature fluctuations and maternal estrogens as critical factors for understanding temperature-dependent sex determination in nature. J Exp Zool A Ecol Integr Physiol 329:177-184.
- Camerlink I, Ursinus WW, Bartels AC, Bijma P, Bolhuis JE. 2018. Indirect genetic effects for growth in pigs affect behaviour and weight around weaning. Behav Gene 48:413-420. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10519-018-9911-5
- Channon HA, D'souza DN, Dunshea FR. 2018. Validating post-slaughter interventions to produce consistently high quality pork cuts from female and immunocastrated male pigs. Meat Sci 142:14-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2018.03.021
- Choi JS, Kwon KM, Lee YK, Joeng JU, Lee KO, Jin SK, Choi YI, Lee JJ. 2018. Application of autofom iii equipment for prediction of primal and commercial cut weight of Korean pig carcasses. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 31:1670-1676. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.18.0240
- Collin A, Van Milgen J, Dubois S, Noblet J. 2001. Effect of high temperature on feeding behaviour and heat production in group-housed young pigs. Br J Nutr 86:63-70. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN2001356
- Dall'olio S, Scotti E, Costa LN, Fontanesi L. 2018. Effects of single nucleotide polymorphisms and haplotypes of the protein kinase amp-activated non-catalytic subunit gamma 3 (PRKAG3) gene on production, meat quality and carcass traits in italian large white pigs. Meat Sci 136:44-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2017.09.012
- Das S, Sharangi AB. 2018. Impact of climate change on spice crops. In Indian spices. Sharangi A (ed). Springer, West Bengal, India. pp 379-404.
- Einarsson S, Brandt Y, Lundeheim N, Madej A. 2008. Stress and its influence on reproduction in pigs: A review. Acta Vet Scand 50:48. https://doi.org/10.1186/1751-0147-50-48
- Enfalt AC, Lundstrom K, Hansson I, Lundeheim N, Nystrom PE. 1997. Effects of outdoor rearing and sire breed (Duroc or Yorkshire) on carcass composition and sensory and technological meat quality. Meat Sci 45:1-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(96)00101-5
- Fabrega E, Manteca X, Font J, Gispert M, Carrion D, Velarde A, Ruiz-De-La-Torre JL, Diestre A. 2002. Effects of halothane gene and pre-slaughter treatment on meat quality and welfare from two pig crosses. Meat Sci 62:463-472. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00040-2
- Faucitano L. 2018. Preslaughter handling practices and their effects on animal welfare and pork quality. J Anim Sci 96:728-738. https://doi.org/10.1093/jas/skx064
- Hamilton DN, Ellis M, Miller KD, Mckeith FK, Parrett DF. 2000. The effect of the halothane and rendement napole genes on carcass and meat quality characteristics of pigs. J Anim Sci 78:2862-2867. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.78112862x
- Hansen PJ. 2009. Effects of heat stress on mammalian reproduction. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 364:3341-3350. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2009.0131
- Janiszewski P, Borzuta K, Lisiak D, Grzeskowiak E, Stanislawski D. 2018. Prediction of primal cuts by using an automatic ultrasonic device as a new method for estimating a pig-carcass slaughter and commercial value. Animal Prod Sci (in press). doi: 10.1071/AN15625. https://doi.org/10.1071/AN15625
- Katsumata M, Kaji Y, Saitoh M.1996. Growth and carcass fatness responses of finishing pigs to dietary fat supplementation at a high ambient temperature. Anim Sci 62:591-598. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800015149
- Kauffman RG, Wachholz D, Henderson D, Lochner JV. 1978. Shrinkage of PSE, normal and DFD hams during transit and processing. J Anim Sci 46:1236-1240. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1978.4651236x
- Keane MP, Neal T. 2018. The impact of climate change on us agriculture: The roles of adaptation techniques and emissions reductions. UNSW Business School Research Paper No. 2018-08.
- Kerr BJ, Yen JT, Nienaber JA, Easter RA. 2003. Influences of dietary protein level, amino acid supplementation and environmental temperature on performance, body composition, organ weights and total heat production of growing pigs. J Anim Sci 81:1998-2007. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.8181998x
- Korea Institute for Animal Product Quality Evaluation. 2013. Livestock products sanitary control act. Korea Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Korea. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/admRulLsInfoP.do?admRulSeq=2100000174924 . Accessed at Jan 11, 2019.
- Korea Meteorological Administration [KMA]. 2017. Status and analysis of Korea's temperatures and rainfall in 2017. Available from: http://www.kma.go.kr. Accessed at Jan 11, 2019.
- Kunavongkrit A, Suriyasomboon A, Lundeheim N, Heard TW, Einarsson S. 2005. Management and sperm production of boars under differing environmental conditions. Theriogenology 63:657-667. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2004.09.039
- Kwon SG, Hwang JH, Park DH, Kim TW, Kang DG, Kang KH, Kim IS, Park HC, Na CS, Ha J, Kim CW. 2016. Identification of differentially expressed genes associated with litter size in Berkshire pig placenta. PLOS ONE 11:e0153311. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0153311
- Landerslev MG, Araya-Morice A, Pomponio L, Ruiz-Carrascal J. 2018. Weight loss in superchilled pork as affected by cooling rate. J Food Eng 219:25-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2017.09.012
- Le Bellego L, Van Milgen J, Noblet J. 2002. Effect of high temperature and low-protein diets on the performance of growingfinishing pigs. J Anim Sci 80:691-701. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.803691x
- Lu Q, Wen J, Zhang H. 2007. Effect of chronic heat exposure on fat deposition and meat quality in two genetic types of chicken. Poult Sci 86:1059-1064. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.6.1059
- Lugar DW, Proctor JA, Safranski TJ, Lucy MC, Stewart KR. 2018. In utero heat stress causes reduced testicular area at puberty, reduced total sperm production, and increased sperm abnormalities in boars. Anim Reprod Sci 192:126-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2018.02.022
- Masferrer G, Carreras R, Font-I-Furnols M, Gispert M, Marti-Puig P, Serra M. 2018. On-line ham grading using pattern recognition models based on available data in commercial pig slaughterhouses. Meat Sci 143:39-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2018.04.011
- Mckee SR, Sams AR. 1997. The effect of seasonal heat stress on rigor development and the incidence of pale, exudative turkey meat. Poult Sci 76:1616-1620. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/76.11.1616
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety [MFDS]. 2017. Livestock products sanitary control act Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/%EB%B2%95%EB%A0%B9/%EC%B6%95%EC%82%B0%EB%AC%BC%EC%9C%84%EC%83%9D%EA%B4%80%EB%A6%AC%EB%B2%95. Accessed at Jan 11, 2019.
- Mota-Rojas D, Becerril M, Lemus C, Sanchez P, Gonzalez M, Olmos S, Ramirez R, Alonso-Spilsbury M. 2006. Effects of mid-summer transport duration on pre- and post-slaughter performance and pork quality in mexico. Meat Sci 73:404-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.11.012
- Nienaber J, Hahn G, Korthals R. 1993. Upper threshold temperature limiting swine growth. Proceedings of the 13th International Congress of Biometeorology, Agadir, Morocco. pp 401-408.
- Olivan M, Gonzalez J, Bassols A, Diaz F, Carreras R, Mainau E, Arroyo L, Pena R, Potes Y, Coto-Montes A, Hollung K, Velarde A. 2018. Effect of sex and ryr1 gene mutation on the muscle proteomic profile and main physiological biomarkers in pigs at slaughter. Meat Sci 141:81-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2018.03.018
- Patience JF, Umboh JF, Chaplin RK, Nyachoti CM. 2005. Nutritional and physiological responses of growing pigs exposed to a diurnal pattern of heat stress. Livest Prod Sci 96:205-214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2005.01.012
- Pearce SC, Gabler NK, Ross JW, Escobar J, Patience JF, Rhoads RP, Baumgard LH. 2013. The effects of heat stress and plane of nutrition on metabolism in growing pigs. J Anim Sci 91:2108-2118. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5738
- Prunier A, Messias De Braganca M, Le Dividich L. 1997. Influence of high ambient temperature on performance of reproductive sows. Livest Prod Sci 52:123-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(97)00137-1
- Rempel LA, Krautkramer MM, Loether TM, Parrish JJ, Miles JR. 2018. Season of collection and sperm head shape impacts expression of carhsp and ftl from motile-rich boar sperm. Agri Gene 7:1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aggene.2017.10.002
- Renaudeau D, Collin A, Yahav S, De Basilio V, Gourdine JL, Collier RJ. 2012. Adaptation to hot climate and strategies to alleviate heat stress in livestock production. Animal 6:707-728. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731111002448
- Renaudeau D, Gourdine JL, St-Pierre NR. 2011. A meta-analysis of the effects of high ambient temperature on growth performance of growing-finishing pigs. J Anim Sci 89:2220-2230. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3329
- Rinaldo D, Le Dividich J, Noblet J. 2000. Adverse effects of tropical climate on voluntary feed intake and performance of growing pigs. Livest Prod Sci 66:223-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(00)00181-0
- Sarda LG, Higarashi MM, Nicoloso RDS, Oliveira PAVD, Falkoski C, Ribeiro SMS, Coldebella A. 2018. Methane emission factor of open deposits used to store swine slurry in southern brazil. Pesq Agropec Bras 53:657-663. https://doi.org/10.1590/s0100-204x2018000600001
- SAS. 2018. SAS Software for PC. Release 9.04, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Sather AP, Jones SDM, Schaefer AL, Colyn J, Robertson WM. 1997. Feedlot performance, carcass composition and meat quality of free-range reared pigs. Can J Anim Sci 77:225-232. https://doi.org/10.4141/A96-093
Sbardella M, Racanicci AM, Gois FD, De Lima CB, Migotto DL, Costa LB, Miyada VS. 2018. Effects of dietary hop (Humulus lupulus L.)
$\beta$-acids on quality attributes, composition and oxidative stability of pork meat. J Sci Food Agric 98:2385-2392. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.8730
- St-Pierre NR, Cobanov B, Schnitkey G. 2003. Economic losses from heat stress by us livestock industries. J Dairy Sci 86:E52-E77. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73583-8
- Suriyasomboon A, Lundeheim N, Kunavongkrit A, Einarsson S. 2006. Effect of temperature and humidity on reproductive performance of crossbred sows in Thailand. Theriogenology 65:606-628. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2005.06.005
- United States Department of Agriculture [USDA]. 2019. Livestock and poultry: World markets and trade. USDA, Washington, DC, USA.
- Van De Perre V, Ceustermans A, Leyten J, Geers R. 2010a. The prevalence of pse characteristics in pork and cooked ham - Effects of season and lairage time. Meat Sci 86:391-397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.023
- Van De Perre V, Permentier L, De Bie S, Verbeke G, Geers R. 2010b. Effect of unloading, lairage, pig handling, stunning and season on ph of pork. Meat Sci 86:931-937. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.07.019
- Wei J, Cen K, Geng Y. 2019. Evaluation and mitigation of cement co2 emissions: Projection of emission scenarios toward 2030 in China and proposal of the roadmap to a low-carbon world by 2050. Mitig Adapt Strat Glob Chang 24:301-328. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11027-018-9813-0
- Ziska LH. 2017. Agriculture, climate change and food security in the 21st century: Our daily bread. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, London, UK.